2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

8 hours ago, btfd16 said:

Goodness I hope we aren't in on Brown.

Mentioned on ROD, but 

1. Don't have the capital

2. Wants to play LT and LT now because pops

3. Will want to get paid next season like an LT even though we do not have a good sample size to see if he deserves LT money.

Personally, pass.

He wants to be paid like an LT and we can do that. Let him play RT this year with his contract and move him to LT next year with a new contract when Whitworth will be retired.

5 hours ago, Flounch said:

He wants to be paid like an LT and we can do that. Let him play RT this year with his contract and move him to LT next year with a new contract when Whitworth will be retired.

Guessing you havent been following this saga...He won't play RT for another year. Hence the reason he's on the block.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flounch said:

In addition to what BStan said, why would you pay him like an LT when you have seen like 8 games of him at LT. Just doesn't make fiscal sense unless he takes a massive drop in the average LT pay

He wants to be out of Baltimore because they got Stanley at LT for the long term. That is not our case. 

He never said he won't play at RT again. He said he wants to play at LT in the future and that he felts confortable at LT, that's it. 

So yes, if we can convince him to play one more year at RT and then switch him to LT next year, i won't be against. 

10 minutes ago, Flounch said:

He wants to be out of Baltimore because they got Stanley at LT for the long term. That is not our case. 

He never said he won't play at RT again. He said he wants to play at LT in the future and that he felts confortable at LT, that's it. 

So yes, if we can convince him to play one more year at RT and then switch him to LT next year, i won't be against. 

I don't think he could of made it any clearer that he won't play RT again.  

• Like 2

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

I don't think he could of made it any clearer that he won't play RT again.  

Yeah I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, he made it very clear about a month or two ago that he won’t play RT. Like he actually said he’s not doing it for anyone and LT is where he’s always played and feels natural blah blah.. and that’s when he was put on the block.  Safe to say he won’t play RT for even a year more. He hates it lol 

21 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

In kind of stunned the rams have yet to do a damn thing 😂 I thought today was our day but looks like they’re going to wait until the last second 

I dont think we are looking to make any moves until we are forced to do so. Which would mean when we actually are ready to sign/trade for someone.

And honestly theres no real reason to. I dont think the league will be pressuring anyone to be getting under that cap as long as they are "working" towards it, and not actively trying to sign players. We can get under the New Cap with like 3 quick and basic restructures (AD, Kupp, Woods).

The tricky part comes when/if we are looking to sign more guys. Thats when it gets a bit stickier. Do you want to commit more in future years to Ramsey? Same thought with Rob? Will Stafford actually do a real extension? Or will it be a voidable/phantom year to spread the dollars out (like we did with Floyd)

I wish I could just believe that we will be out there making a bunch of moves, or being interested in every guy who hits the market like some of you do. But I feel like its about to be a very quiet offseason, we have made our bed, and have to ride it as far as it will take us.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Yeah I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, he made it very clear about a month or two ago that he won’t play RT. Like he actually said he’s not doing it for anyone and LT is where he’s always played and feels natural blah blah.. and that’s when he was put on the block.  Safe to say he won’t play RT for even a year more. He hates it lol 

Less that he hates it, more that he knows that LOT's get paid fatter than ROT's do.  He's set to be a UFA in 2022 and he knows that barring Stanley getting injured for a long stretch and him getting the opportunity to play LOT in Stanley's stead, there is a discernible cap on the kind of money he can pull in playing the position he's currently at, and team's aren't going to pay him top LOT dollar sight-unseen as a LOT but only as a ROT.  And given that, particularly considering the lower-than-standard cap-ceiling matters this season, with the new media contract kicking in the cap-ceiling jump in 2022 when he's set to hit the market is expected to be ~1.5-2x the average annual increase over the last decade.  He's betting on himself, can't fault him for that.

That said, it's pretty clear that, at least for the foreseeable future, this is going to be a team that will be adjusting and readjusting contracts in order to work within the confines of the salary cap with high-contract players we have.  I'm (more than a little) skeptical, given how this has gone down with Brown, how cooperative he'd be in that effort.  That could be unecessary on my part, but one thing we really can't (we can but it'd be a major setback) afford is another Gurley/Goff type situation where we feel like we have to eat major dead-money or, worse, give up premium draft compensation in order to unload a bulky contract.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think we are looking to make any moves until we are forced to do so. Which would mean when we actually are ready to sign/trade for someone.

And honestly theres no real reason to. I dont think the league will be pressuring anyone to be getting under that cap as long as they are "working" towards it, and not actively trying to sign players. We can get under the New Cap with like 3 quick and basic restructures (AD, Kupp, Woods).

The tricky part comes when/if we are looking to sign more guys. Thats when it gets a bit stickier. Do you want to commit more in future years to Ramsey? Same thought with Rob? Will Stafford actually do a real extension? Or will it be a voidable/phantom year to spread the dollars out (like we did with Floyd)

I wish I could just believe that we will be out there making a bunch of moves, or being interested in every guy who hits the market like some of you do. But I feel like its about to be a very quiet offseason, we have made our bed, and have to ride it as far as it will take us.

While I agree with most of this, I think we will be somewhat active, it will just be reactionary vs proactive.

I think the extension of Donald/Ramsey will happen. The big void in the room is Kupp/Woods. Once they have made a decision on if they will move one of the two, the others extension will fall into place. And unfortunately, until a big name WR agrees a deal, we won't know the true value of Woods or Kupp in the trade market. It's a very much wait and see approach, but once dominos begin to fall, I think we will be more active. For example, if Golladay signs a huge deal with the Jets then that lines up a market for JuJu. Once JuJu and Golladay are gone, teams will see Corey Davis, Will Fuller, and Marvin Jones left. When you realize what you have to pay for them this year, Robert Woods value immediately solidifies as a 2nd rounder or more. I believe this is why we have been quiet more than anything. 

Stafford's extension I think would be HUGE for us in terms of Free Agency this year. I'm guessing in his mind, he thinks he can win a ring and then can ask for more money in 2022; hence his reluctance to extend this year. Now if we can find a way to agree to an extension that puts in escalator's if he wins a ring, then we could be in business. 

• Like 1

So, my standard-fare sourness on PFF is pretty well known - at least with regard to their rankings and grades being suspect because of how closely they safeguard their algorithms.  That said, there is value from their analysts in the way that ESPN *used* to have value in a number of their non-player analysts because so many of them had to break-in doing data-tracking and cataloguing - so I'm more inclined to trust them as statisticians.

This is long and roundabout way of saying that listening to a recent podcast from Palazzolo and Monson, they caught onto something that several of us noted here a while ago: Aaron Donald is a 3rd-rd comp pick generator because nearly every year you can plug in a underachieving, previously-draft-hyped edge rusher and get a 10-sack guy who will turn around off his 1-year contract a year later and net himself a high-money contract ==> comp pick.  They even addressed something I've been pondering for a while: Are those guys really that good (i.e. worth the contract) or are they bolstered up by virtue of playing alongside Aaron Donald?

They did however toss out a couple names for who could be said edge-rusher this year that we hadn't talked about on here.  One being Aldon Smith that, with Dallas having extended Dak they may not have the cap-flexibility to maneuver a deal for.  Another being Deatrich Wise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

So, my standard-fare sourness on PFF is pretty well known - at least with regard to their rankings and grades being suspect because of how closely they safeguard their algorithms.  That said, there is value from their analysts in the way that ESPN *used* to have value in a number of their non-player analysts because so many of them had to break-in doing data-tracking and cataloguing - so I'm more inclined to trust them as statisticians.

This is long and roundabout way of saying that listening to a recent podcast from Palazzolo and Monson, they caught onto something that several of us noted here a while ago: Aaron Donald is a 3rd-rd comp pick generator because nearly every year you can plug in a underachieving, previously-draft-hyped edge rusher and get a 10-sack guy who will turn around off his 1-year contract a year later and net himself a high-money contract ==> comp pick.  They even addressed something I've been pondering for a while: Are those guys really that good (i.e. worth the contract) or are they bolstered up by virtue of playing alongside Aaron Donald?

They did however toss out a couple names for who could be said edge-rusher this year that we hadn't talked about on here.  One being Aldon Smith that, with Dallas having extended Dak they may not have the cap-flexibility to maneuver a deal for.  Another being Deatrich Wise.

Tyus Bowser imo

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fellas, care to give me a scouting report on John Johnson? 

Has an argument to being the best safety in the NFL IMO. He's better than Budda Baker for sure. I think he's better than Jamal Adams too.

He's a better player than both Joyner and Littleton. We all knew that neither would be re-signed, and while some of us wanted Littleton, there's very, very few Rams fans that are fine with JJ leaving. It's obviously going to happen though.

Called the defense last year. In the three years he's played a full season, we've won 11/13/10 games and made the playoffs all three years. Not the fastest guy but he's really good in zone - really good - and is a surprisingly sure tackler. The game that cost us a playoff spot in 2019 featured a blown coverage that wouldn't have happened with him playing.

He can play either safety spot, deep or at the LOS. You don't want him manned up with WRs, but I'm not sure any safety can handle that.

It's insane how little respect he gets from the media and fans. He had less raw stats than Fitzpatrick, Baker and Mathieu but he still deserved first team all pro. 

Always in the right place. We don't have the number one defense without him - if I were a Raiders fan I'd be hesitant to sign anymore former Rams, but you can make him the highest paid safety and feel confident that he will be elite.

• Like 3