2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

We already knew that the Stafford trade would put us in a very bad situation.... we have holes and we have to give up player for nothing, we don't have cap for anything, we're still waiting for the Flloyd contract to see if it's going to bite us later. 

Doesn't look very good so far...

17 minutes ago, Flounch said:

We already knew that the Stafford trade would put us in a very bad situation.... we have holes and we have to give up player for nothing, we don't have cap for anything, we're still waiting for the Flloyd contract to see if it's going to bite us later. 

Doesn't look very good so far...

Jesus. There's more of you.

Another name for giving up a player for nothing is "releasing them". We didn't do that, we traded Brockers and saved his dead cap in the process; resulting in more cap savings. So while the pick may be worthless, the savings is valuable to us considering Brockers/Rams couldn't agree to a restructure that worked for both parties.

We were under the cap as of yesterdays restructures and Brockers trade along with extending Stafford will give us some flexiblity to spend, but as you mentioned, until we know Floyd's figures, it's tough to determine exactly what spending might look like.

What holes do you see in this team as it currently stands?

We also have the 3rd best odds in the NFC to win the SuperBowl next year (+1200). That looks pretty good to me. 

Edited by BStanRamFan

Why are we all so sure Stafford will have a new contract soon? I thought he didn’t want an extension? 

Alex Mack to the Niners sucks. Feels like they’re going to dominate us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Praying they don’t find a new QB. If they find a way to land Watson I’ll probably cry. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Why are we all so sure Stafford will have a new contract soon? I thought he didn’t want an extension? 

Ive been trying not to say it as much, because everyone gets mad about it, but it seems awfully presumptuous that he would.

A phantom extension like Taysom seems like it could be done, just to spread out the money some, but it feels like alot of fans just assume he will add a year or two onto his deal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Jones, Williams, Brown, Ross . . . all off the market and we havent even finished getting under the Cap.

Not much left in the deep threat bucket, seems like theres one obvious fit left though.

We very much have gotten under the cap and were last night prior to the Brockers trade. Just because they don't announce publicly, doesn't mean they don't submit moves.

31 minutes ago, btfd16 said:

We very much have gotten under the cap and were last night prior to the Brockers trade. Just because they don't announce publicly, doesn't mean they don't submit moves.

Except my point was that all these guys already signed elsewhere before we did that

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

Alex Mack to the Niners sucks. Feels like they’re going to dominate us in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Praying they don’t find a new QB. If they find a way to land Watson I’ll probably cry. 

I always just assumed that if there was a way for us to create more cap space we would. Plus, wouldn't it make sense to give him another year or two given everything we traded to get him?

5 minutes ago, RamRod said:

I always just assumed that if there was a way for us to create more cap space we would. Plus, wouldn't it make sense to give him another year or two given everything we traded to get him?

I too think this way. In fact, I know we were fine with cap space before the Brockers trade.. are they planning on making a move since they’re clearing some extra space?? 

As for the whole Stafford thing, I was always under the impression that there was an agreement that he didn’t want to be extended if he was traded. I’ve been looking for something to support this but maybe I was wrong or heard it from a bad source.

Also, I know it’ll help the Rams cap space to extend or restructure, but aren’t the Rams already paying him way under what the top QBs are making at like 20ish per year? 

44 minutes ago, RamRod said:

Sure, as much as we gave up, we should extend him. But my point has always been, you need both sides to make that happen. Why would he sign an extension right now? If everyone seems to agree he is still in the sweet spot of his career, and has 5 years of Top-ish level QB in him, why would he lock himself into any team at this point? Why not play these two years, and then decide where he wants to go?

Sure he might want to be here, but he doesnt have to commit to that right now. There could be just as good of spots, who are more desperate than we are, who would pay him a massive short term contract when the Cap goes back up. There might be much more desirable situations, who have had 1st round picks to build for the past 5 years, and not be squeezed by the cap during that period. Maybe were not able to find that LT to replace Whit soon, or the OL is still an issue in 3 years, why would he comit to a place as he gets older that doesnt have that figured out?

Just think about the bidding War that would have happened this year if Stafford was a free agent, between Chicago, Washington, Carolina, probably San Fran, New England, etc.

Like Ive said, this isnt going to happen just because the Rams and their fans want it to. Stafford has to want it too

32 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

As for the whole Stafford thing, I was always under the impression that there was an agreement that he didn’t want to be extended if he was traded. I’ve been looking for something to support this but maybe I was wrong or heard it from a bad source.

From what I remember, it was a quote that said he didnt need an extension with the trade (some thought he would want that when leaving the Lions) for him to agree to come here. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Sure, as much as we gave up, we should extend him. But my point has always been, you need both sides to make that happen. Why would he sign an extension right now? If everyone seems to agree he is still in the sweet spot of his career, and has 5 years of Top-ish level QB in him, why would he lock himself into any team at this point? Why not play these two years, and then decide where he wants to go?

Sure he might want to be here, but he doesnt have to commit to that right now. There could be just as good of spots, who are more desperate than we are, who would pay him a massive short term contract when the Cap goes back up. There might be much more desirable situations, who have had 1st round picks to build for the past 5 years, and not be squeezed by the cap during that period. Maybe were not able to find that LT to replace Whit soon, or the OL is still an issue in 3 years, why would he commit to a place as he gets older that doesnt have that figured out?

Like Ive said, this isnt going to happen just because the Rams and their fans want it to. Stafford has to want it too.

That makes sense.

• Like 1