2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Or Kyle Fuller and slide D-Will to the slot. Have another year of elite secondary play makes our D-Line look better.

Shocked that Warford's name hasn't surfaced yet this offseason. I'd love him.

Fuller already signed in Denver

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Or Kyle Fuller and slide D-Will to the slot. Have another year of elite secondary play makes our D-Line look better.

Shocked that Warford's name hasn't surfaced yet this offseason. I'd love him.

I forgot about Kyle Fuller, man that would be a very nice addition. 

And yes I'm shocked about the lack of Communication/interest towards Warford also.

• Like 1

Totally awesome that we have that much cap space. Kinda shows that the salary cap is a joke for the most part. 

I would like us to kick the tires on another TE and maybe another edge rusher and really get Donald some pass rush help.

2 hours ago, Riftty said:

Totally awesome that we have that much cap space. Kinda shows that the salary cap is a joke for the most part. 

I would like us to kick the tires on another TE and maybe another edge rusher and really get Donald some pass rush help.

We don't have that much space. The $17.1 million isn't reflecting Floyd and Jackson's deals yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

We don't have that much space. The $17.1 million isn't reflecting Floyd and Jackson's deals yet.

We know Floyd's cap hit is $5.5M and I can't imagine D-Jax being too much more than the vet min at this point. So are likely closer to playing with $10Mil in cap space (not including rookie class).

I've been waiting for this type of article to come out after the Stafford trade was made final. We as a fanbase had so many questions about the behind the scenes stuff we didn't see between McVay and Goff. Now that the trade is finalized, sources inside the team can speak more freely and you're able to publish something like this. Very telling and helped me understand a few things that I didn't before. I've attached the piece and MY key takeaways. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31123122/why-sean-mcvay-jared-goff-partnership-fell-apart-los-angeles-rams

• Why did we pay Goff so early if we didn't believe in him?
    • The FO knew the Mahomes deal was going to reset the market and they wanted to get ahead of that. 
  • Was Goff changing after signing his deal and becoming a "Hollywood guy?"
    • No. Work ethic was never his issue. "It was a matter of understanding diagnosing, and applying what was coached". Goff struggled to recognize coverage disguises and didn't consistently identify coverage post snap as they play developed.
  • Chicken or the Egg?
    • Goff felt he was being micromanaged. McVay felt as though he had to call every play perfectly for Goff.
  • How was it perceived internally?
    • "We get our *** chewed out for F-ups, but the stuff with the quarterback gets swept under the rug"- a team source.
  • Personality Clash
    • Goff was calm and collected. McVay is a hot head. Initially, McVay was funneling communication through the QB room. Then he would approach Jared directly. McVay would blow up on Goff on the sidelines, but eventually would go back and build him up. Last season, he stopped building Goff back up after the tear down and it didn't sit well with Goff. He wasn't best managed in that manner and McVay recognizes this.
  • Worse thing for Goff was Wolford getting a chance to play.
    • Goff put in the work, but not to the level Wolford did. Wolford was obsessed the way McVay was. McVay was scared to bench Goff due to his contract, but his injury gave Wolford the chance to breathe some life into the offense with his athleticism and intelligence.
    • Best weeks practices were the Arizona/Seattle weeks Wolford was starting. Team confidence was high.
    • Wolford would have started vs GB if not for the injury vs Seattle, but Goff still had supporters in the lockerroom. Opinions in the building fluctuated; some fully supported Goff and some thought a change was beneficial.

"In the end, the only opinion that ultimately mattered belonged to McVay".

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:
  • How was it perceived internally?
    • "We get our *** chewed out for F-ups, but the stuff with the quarterback gets swept under the rug"- a team source.
  • Personality Clash
    • Goff was calm and collected. McVay is a hot head. Initially, McVay was funneling communication through the QB room. Then he would approach Jared directly. McVay would blow up on Goff on the sidelines, but eventually would go back and build him up. Last season, he stopped building Goff back up after the tear down and it didn't sit well with Goff. He wasn't best managed in that manner and McVay recognizes this.

These two points say completely opposite things.

Sounds to me like we’ve got some cry babies in the locker room. Really hope we keep winning or that’s going to be real bad real quick

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

These two points say completely opposite things.

Sounds to me like we’ve got some cry babies in the locker room. Really hope we keep winning or that’s going to be real bad real quick

Depending on the timing of the quotes, yes they could be conflicting.

In the beginning, McVay would use the QB coaches to get points across to Goff. Then he would talk to Goff directly on the sidelines, but made sure to build him back up. Not until the loss to SF this year did McVay finally call out Goff in public. 

One takeaway from this article could be that we have cry babies in the locker room. Another way is that Goff couldn't handle being criticized and needed to be "built back up" constantly afterwards. 

Personally, I have no concerns over cry babies in the lockerroom. I don't see it being an issue, win or lose.

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

In the beginning, McVay would use the QB coaches to get points across to Goff. Then he would talk to Goff directly on the sidelines, but made sure to build him back up. Not until the loss to SF this year did McVay finally call out Goff in public. 

One takeaway from this article could be that we have cry babies in the locker room. Another way is that Goff couldn't handle being criticized and needed to be "built back up" constantly afterwards. 

Personally, I have no concerns over cry babies in the lockerroom. I don't see it being an issue, win or lose.

What I am pointing out has absolutely nothing to do with Jared. It has to do with whoever is anonymously giving quotes about not being treated the same as the QB. Which is ridiculous on the face of it. For multiple reasons, one being weve seen McVay go off on Jared on the sideline plenty of times, it was just the first time he brought it up in a press conference this year. And the more important reason, HES THE QUARTERBACK, and a highly paid one at that. If you dont think there are a different set of rules for him than everyone else, then its time for the player(s) to grow up/wake up and recognize reality.

Are we going to get the similar stuff if Stafford has a bad game in the middle of the year at Baltimore? Lets not pretend we dont have a well known malcontent in the locker room already

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I've been waiting for this type of article to come out after the Stafford trade was made final. We as a fanbase had so many questions about the behind the scenes stuff we didn't see between McVay and Goff. Now that the trade is finalized, sources inside the team can speak more freely and you're able to publish something like this. Very telling and helped me understand a few things that I didn't before. I've attached the piece and MY key takeaways. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31123122/why-sean-mcvay-jared-goff-partnership-fell-apart-los-angeles-rams

Nothing really new, except for people who were defending Goff this season. 

The only thing that surprised me is how Mcvay handle Goff at the end. I would never imagine that he would be so pissed at him like that. 

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I feel about the same. Especially about Goff not being able to handle criticism and as soon as the “building back up” part stopped happening he sunk. I truly think he’s just not mature enough yet. I’ve always thought he’d be a good player in his later years when he picks up defenses and matured a bit. Love the guy and hope he balls out but that’s how I always felt and this almost confirmed it for me.

• Like 1