2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I agree with a lot of this. But the bolded I think is because you gain experience and different perspectives with age. 

Definitely agree. It’ll come for Mcvay. I think he’s just at a different stage in life than what we are used to seeing with everyone being closer to 45-50 usually.

So after thinking a little more on this, I think I'm backing off of the Mcvay criticism a little. 

Not because he handled this situation well, because he didn't. I think he was able to get the responsibility of being a head coach at a very young age and may have not had the time to fully mature into the role that others have had. He's not a bad person, just an inexperienced leader. These past two years were the first time he has faced adversity being a head coach. He handled this situation poorly but if he actually works on it like he says he will and is able to keep his emotions in check, I think we'll be in good shape. Only time will tell but I'm a lot more optimistic than I was when the article came out. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Everyone read this and saw it differently. I saw it as Goff coming off as coddled and soft. The guy spent 3 or so years catering to you and building you up, but Goff never progressed so he became frustrated. The window in this league is so narrow that you can't continue the handle holding came for long. I think it was the right decision to move on. I'm very curious to see what Goff does in Detroit. I truly believe it can go both ways (boom or bust). 

I’m a business owner and have over 100 employees. So I’ve dealt with so many different personality types.  There’s only so much you can build people back up. 

Goff can’t seem to handle pressure. Glad he’s gone honestly. McVay is a type A. A hyper focused dude. And if you’re not going at his pace then you need to either perform well or be replaced. That’s exactly how I run all my businesses. 

there’s only so much patience one can have while constantly telling a person the same thing. At some point, the building back up is thrown out the window. 

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

He hired Wade Phillips as his DC so he could focus on the offense in his first year. He then hired Staley to handle the defense because he saw a similar understanding and dedication to his craft. He then hired veteran DC Raheem Morris to...again run the defense.

"McVay would be able to get his message, no matter how tough, to Goff through the quarterbacks coach, ensuring no disruption to the relationship.

But as the 2019 season progressed without the desired results, McVay began to coach Goff more directly and their dynamic began to slowly unravel."

So sounds like he wasn't micromanaged until he had to be. Started with communicating through the QB room and then in later 2019 when he didn't see what he wanted from Goff, he stepped in. 

Most these dudes are putting emotion into it. No reason explaining yourself. 

Goff got paid millions of dollars to do his job and he couldn’t do it. McVay doesn’t need to explain himself. Before he got here this team was living in mediocrity. 

thr problem has been Goff and will be Goff. He’s not gonna perform in Detroit. Hell be lucky if he lasts 5 years in the league as a starter. 

McVay will be a coach much longer and he is at least respected by the rest of the league as a top 5-7 coach. Goff isnt even seen as a top 15 QB 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Goff got paid millions of dollars to do his job and he couldn’t do it. McVay doesn’t need to explain himself. Before he got here this team was living in mediocrity. 

What? Yes he absolutely does, he is an NFL head coach, he absolutely owes explaining things to the fan base, it’s literally the entire premise of the press coverage. 

Now does it matter what we think of his explanation? No, just the owner of the team. 

No wonder some of you are so soft on McVay, major beta boyfriend energy from you guys. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Most these dudes are putting emotion into it. No reason explaining yourself. 

thr problem has been Goff and will be Goff. He’s not gonna perform in Detroit. Hell be lucky if he lasts 5 years in the league as a starter. 

McVay will be a coach much longer and he is at least respected by the rest of the league as a top 5-7 coach. Goff isnt even seen as a top 15 QB 

These same dudes couldn't see the same things in Bradford years ago. Bradford was absolute doo doo and they couldn't somehow see that. Goff is a lot like Bradford in those terms. They're mediocre bat best. Average system QBs who can't handle pressure whatsoever and don't ever progress. Goff will expose himself much more in Detroit. His best years have passed. 

7 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

I’m a business owner and have over 100 employees. So I’ve dealt with so many different personality types.  There’s only so much you can build people back up. 

Goff can’t seem to handle pressure. Glad he’s gone honestly. McVay is a type A. A hyper focused dude. And if you’re not going at his pace then you need to either perform well or be replaced. That’s exactly how I run all my businesses. 

there’s only so much patience one can have while constantly telling a person the same thing. At some point, the building back up is thrown out the window. 

But as a business owner you would eventually let guys go that weren't up to your standards. McVay didn't do that. He just gave up on the coaching but still kept Goff out there due to optics knowing full well it would sabotage the offense. It would be like if a business owner purposely burned two quarters of profits so that they had a reason to fire an overpaid employee. It wouldn't make any sense. That is the damning thing on McVay here. It cannot be justified other than McVay did a poor job managing that situation.

34 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

But as a business owner you would eventually let guys go that weren't up to your standards. McVay didn't do that. He just gave up on the coaching but still kept Goff out there due to optics knowing full well it would sabotage the offense. It would be like if a business owner purposely burned two quarters of profits so that they had a reason to fire an overpaid employee. It wouldn't make any sense. That is the damning thing on McVay here. It cannot be justified other than McVay did a poor job managing that situation.

I'm old enough to remember when the argument on Goff was that he just needed a better IOL and a deep threat WR and he'll be able to win us a Super Bowl. 

Now, it's "Well it's McVay's fault for not benching him and sabotaging the offense!". 

Moving Season 5 GIF by Friends

25 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm old enough to remember when the argument on Goff was that he just needed a better IOL and a deep threat WR and he'll be able to win us a Super Bowl. 

Now, it's "Well it's McVay's fault for not benching him and sabotaging the offense!". 

Moving Season 5 GIF by Friends

This isn't about what I would have done. This is about what McVay did. Tough concept.

Edited by LeotheLion
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:32 AM, StLunatic88 said:

What? Yes he absolutely does, he is an NFL head coach, he absolutely owes explaining things to the fan base, it’s literally the entire premise of the press coverage. 

Now does it matter what we think of his explanation? No, just the owner of the team. 

No wonder some of you are so soft on McVay, major beta boyfriend energy from you guys. 

Sure bud, we’re beta. here you are, all butt hurt, caping for Goff. You can keep it on though, while the rest of us watch our team with a QB who can read a defense. 

Before McVay arrived, the Rams were nothing. He brought the team to relevance. He doesn’t need to explain anything until we start staying stagnant or we start losing consistently. 

@BStanRamFanhas been schooling you the last couple years. He said the Rams would part ways with Gurley and Cooks and you were down talking him as if you’re some salary cap expert and he proved you wrong. 

same thing with Goff where you thought there wouldn’t be a chance and @BStanRamFanschooled you again

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:01 AM, LeotheLion said:

I see what you’re saying. But what is the alternative for McVay? Start Bortles? 

I can relate because that’s exactly how I manage. I lose patience and have the manager as a lame duck til I find a replacement, which is what McVay did.  

the one area I do blame McVay is he should’ve been more communicative with Goff 

9 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I see what you’re saying. But what is the alternative for McVay? Start Bortles? 

I can relate because that’s exactly how I manage. I lose patience and have the manager as a lame duck til I find a replacement, which is what McVay did.  

the one area I do blame McVay is he should’ve been more communicative with Goff 

I think the alternative was get the most out of Goff to close out the year to not affect team performance. Or just switch to Wolford. I don't think that would have made sense but I also don't think it makes sense to not care about hurting Goff's confidence. Even if you think you are coddling, just do that to finish the season and then make a change. I don't think Sean necessarily punted on the year but I don't think it was his best coaching effort. Though to be fair, clearly not Goff's best effort either. 

The difference in obviously the business world is you can actively search for replacements anytime. It sounds like McVay was done with Goff after the Miami game and stopped giving his all coaching. I'd hope that is something McVay learns from in the future. Which since he is young I think he would.