2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

On 3/25/2021 at 10:29 PM, rocky_rams said:

I’m a business owner and have over 100 employees. So I’ve dealt with so many different personality types.  There’s only so much you can build people back up. 

Goff can’t seem to handle pressure. Glad he’s gone honestly. McVay is a type A. A hyper focused dude. And if you’re not going at his pace then you need to either perform well or be replaced. That’s exactly how I run all my businesses. 

there’s only so much patience one can have while constantly telling a person the same thing. At some point, the building back up is thrown out the window. 

what do you do? I guess dinner on you lol

2 hours ago, RamRod said:

Assuming Blythe to the Vikings is true center should be the number one priority for the draft. Humphrey, Dickerson, and Meinerz will be options at 57.

Meinerz seems like a bad choice for you. As far as I know, Whitewater was a straight up man power scheme and he's not actually a center; he taught himself how to snap during his year off, but he's never actually played the position. He was a guard at Whitewater. That's a lot of projection and adjustment for a guy you want to start.  I Think Humphrey would be the preferred choice (Dickerson if you're okay with the injury history, but I can't imagine anyone is really okay with that history in the first two rounds). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meinerz seems like a bad choice for you. As far as I know, Whitewater was a straight up man power scheme and he's not actually a center; he taught himself how to snap during his year off, but he's never actually played the position. He was a guard at Whitewater. That's a lot of projection and adjustment for a guy you want to start.  I Think Humphrey would be the preferred choice (Dickerson if you're okay with the injury history, but I can't imagine anyone is really okay with that history in the first two rounds). 

The majority opinion around here on Meinerz has been a view of him as a center of the future who would cut his teeth at, likely, RG for a year or two while Corbett kicked in to center for the interim.  Blythe was the major liability on our OL last season, and a lot of Havenstein's struggles have stemmed from not having an above-average RG playing inside of him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

We don't need somebody who can immediately play Center. Corbett can kick inside with Anchrum and Evans competing for the OG spot. Meinerz has the most upside at the position and has the athleticism to play in any scheme. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

The majority opinion around here on Meinerz has been a view of him as a center of the future who would cut his teeth at, likely, RG for a year or two while Corbett kicked in to center for the interim.  Blythe was the major liability on our OL last season, and a lot of Havenstein's struggles have stemmed from not having an above-average RG playing inside of him.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

We don't need somebody who can immediately play Center. Corbett can kick inside with Anchrum and Evans competing for the OG spot. Meinerz has the most upside at the position and has the athleticism to play in any scheme. 

That would certainly make more sense. Would have been asking a lot of the kid otherwise...especially with a new QB as well. I'd imagine your offensive scheme and blocking, similar to the 9ers', is convoluted as hell and a lot to take in. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

That would certainly make more sense. Would have been asking a lot of the kid otherwise...especially with a new QB as well. I'd imagine your offensive scheme and blocking, similar to the 9ers', is convoluted as hell and a lot to take in. 

I really have no idea what our blocking scheme is going to be next year. McVay pushed Kromer out, another questionable decision this offseason. He hired Stanford's OL Coach and RGC.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RamRod said:

Assuming Blythe to the Vikings is true center should be the number one priority for the draft. Humphrey, Dickerson, and Meinerz will be options at 57.

I feel like I've read somewhere that Snead/McVay do not want to trot out a rookie at Center with Stafford. I agree with the board on Corbett for the interim although he wasn't successfull in that role in Cle.

Austin Reiter is a name to keep an eye on in FA. Good pass blocker, struggles in the run game. We could do worse.

39 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I feel like I've read somewhere that Snead/McVay do not want to trot out a rookie at Center with Stafford. I agree with the board on Corbett for the interim although he wasn't successfull in that role in Cle.

Austin Reiter is a name to keep an eye on in FA. Good pass blocker, struggles in the run game. We could do worse.

I don't think it is a rookie center with Stafford, I think it is just a rookie center in general.