2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

14 hours ago, Riftty said:

Honestly I might be in the minority here...but I don't want Julio. I think what we have with Woods and Kupp is far better. And if you throw a combo of Jefferson/Jackson/Atwell in there...I Think stafford will be able to do some Crazy things with this group. 

Woods and Kupp know this offense in and out and that will help Stafford catch on quicker, if you throw a new WR in the mix with a new QB we have a bigger learning curve.

I don't think you're in the minority on this. It's fun to dream, but the gymnastics we will have to pull off to make it work would be excessive.

Kupp and Woods are a top 7-10 tandem in the league. I think the only criticism is that they are a bit redundant. They're still excellent route runners, great hands, buy in to blocking and can be used interchangeably. They are not gamebreakers in the sense that Julio is, but that doesn't mean theyre not a great tandem. 

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

What about Trading Robert Woods and a pickfor Julio Jones? 

According to Spotrac, if we trade Robert Woods post June 1st, he would carry a dead cap hit of 3.3M in 2021, 8.6M in 2022, and a 2021 cap savings of 2.5M.

So ultimately, the reason we wouldn't want to do that is because we could be back in the dead cap territory we got out of with Gurley; this year probably wouldn't be a huge deal if we extended Stafford, but next year's 8.6M dead cap hit would hurt.

(Cooper Kupp's dead cap would be 3.8M in 2021 and 12.2M in 2022 if anyone was wondering).

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

According to Spotrac, if we trade Robert Woods post June 1st, he would carry a dead cap hit of 3.3M in 2021, 8.6M in 2022, and a 2021 cap savings of 2.5M.

So ultimately, the reason we wouldn't want to do that is because we could be back in the dead cap territory we got out of with Gurley; this year probably wouldn't be a huge deal if we extended Stafford, but next year's 8.6M dead cap hit would hurt.

(Cooper Kupp's dead cap would be 3.8M in 2021 and 12.2M in 2022 if anyone was wondering).

We’re already over the 2022 salary cap. Might look to who we get rid of instead of who we add.

15 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

We’re already over the 2022 salary cap. Might look to who we get rid of instead of who we add.

I think we're about $7Mil under right now so we could carry that over and be under the cap. Also, we would likely have a clear direction on Staffords extension after his play this year. 

1 hour ago, Flounch said:

Whitworth should be a cap casulaty next year...14m, i don't know i think it's his last year. 

Ehhh, that really depends how Whit plays, and if he might have something left in the tank. Because we dont really have a replacement LT ready, and it will cost as much or more than his cap space to get one. 

• Higbee cant stay on that number, almost regardless of what he does this year (anything short of all pro)
  • A'Shawn is likely gone too, doesnt save as much but he clears probably the Draft class worth of space.
  • We were already looking at moving Rob supposedly, so he could be moved as well.
  • If you convince Stafford to stick around at that point, you could spread his hit out a bit
  • But most of all, it would be restructures to spread out more Donald and Ramesy dollars. (could be $20m+)

In the end, it looks like another shallow offseason for the Rams, as we are quite Cap Strapped

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I think we're about $7Mil under right now so we could carry that over and be under the cap. Also, we would likely have a clear direction on Staffords extension after his play this year. 

Add in that, and this is neither to your or NV's post singled-out, Mr. "I want to win" (who was not-too-long-ago Mr. "I want to get PAID") could employ the Brady-in-New-England strategy is he wants to help facilitate bringing superstars - or even just plain other pieces to improve our competitiveness... and next season would be a great place to start if he wanted to do that.  Just saying... it's really easy for these guys to spend someone else's money.  I'll always stand up for their right to get as much money as they can - if getting paid is their primary mindset.  But if winning is tertiary, the line for making sacrifices doesn't start at the depth players, ownership, and the fans.  Or at least, it isn't limited solely to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MDY10 said:

😂😂😂😂 stop it

They must know something that we dont know. Now Im curious. Ill say it again, Snead was on the Falcons staff the draft where they traded up for Julio. Morris has a connection with Julio as well. Not to mention the Rams really never had a top tier receiver in the veins of Julio since Holt ages ago. Now Im not saying that trading for Julio is a necessity and Im certainly not going to get my hopes up BUT if it was to happen its typical Rams to continue to go all in and I love it. McVay is locked in on getting this offense to be lethal again. The defense will probably take a step or two back while still being really good to great and even elite at times but I dont expect elite all season. The offense will need to be elite and the path to winning a Superbowl will have to go through the Bucs and Chiefs. We know they have elite offenses so the Rams will have to match that. 

• Like 1

Looks like we are officially out on Julio. I was able to get Peter Schrager to respond to me on twitter and he offered some insight...

I'm assuming ATL wanted Woods, Kupp, or Havenstein and we wouldn't budge. Which I agree with. However, if it was just picks....#F&ckThemPicks