2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

7 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It makes sense based on need, cost, and Cali/McVay ties but calling it a prove-it deal for Desean is a bit weird. Even if he balls out with the Rams, is anyone going to give him a bigger contract in 2022 when he'd be 35?

It's a great point. "Prove it" is the wrong terminology, but it's shorter than "Prove you deserve to still be in the NFL and on a contending team so here's the vet minimum" deal

I’m definitely not a fan of Jackson for our deep threat. Maybe I’m wrong but I just feel like he’s pretty washed. Maybe I need to watch some games of his from recent years but I don’t see him having that same burst and speed anymore. If they do sign him I hope they grab another guy as well in case it doesn’t work out and we’re in the same boat as last year. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I’m definitely not a fan of Jackson for our deep threat. Maybe I’m wrong but I just feel like he’s pretty washed. Maybe I need to watch some games of his from recent years but I don’t see him having that same burst and speed anymore. If they do sign him I hope they grab another guy as well in case it doesn’t work out and we’re in the same boat as last year. 

I think the talent is still there (to an extent—definitely not the same guy when he came into the league of course) but the biggest thing is he just can’t stay healthy. I think it’d be a waste of cap 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MDY10 said:

He's a bum..always hurt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MDY10 said:

I agree....when he became a FA and left WFT I was relieved he decided to go to Tampa and stay away from LA, and I’m hoping it goes the same way this time around. I just don’t think we’d be the right fit for him.

• Like 1

I agree with all of you about Jackson. I truly don’t see him being much of an upgrade (which is crazy considering we don’t have a deep threat). I didn’t want him last time because of him losing a few steps and I imagine he lost a few more now lol 

Also My apologies if this was talked about already, but I did read somewhere about the chance to Tag and then trade John Johnson.. wouldn’t this benefit us? We get a 3rd next year if he leaves but if we tag and trade then we could potentially get a 1 or 2. It seems teams are starting to do this more and more as of late. 

DJax still has all the talent. Just go watch him burn for the deep TD at the end of the year. He just needs to stay healthy.

Thats obviously a big thing, but those are the type of guys we are going to have to go after with the limited resources that we will have this off-season. And assuming he is the #3/4 WR also limits his injury exposure 

Saying a vet minimum contract, or just above (due to incentives) is a waste of Cap space, is just wrong. It’s the exact way we should be using it. It’s not like anyone is advocating to give him $7m guaranteed for this year (something that a guy like Marvin Jones is going to cost at a minimum)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

I’d rather us get Tyrell Williams than DJax

Apples to oranges. Tyrell Williams is going to be much more expensive (unless a stupid team offers Jackson too much money; in that case, we'll pass) and won't be looking for a #4 WR job. Williams only makes sense if we're going to trade Kupp or Woods.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Apples to oranges. Tyrell Williams is going to be much more expensive (unless a stupid team offers Jackson too much money; in that case, we'll pass) and won't be looking for a #4 WR job. Williams only makes sense if we're going to trade Kupp or Woods.

And if we’re worried about injuries with Jackson, not sure Williams is where we should be turning. 

Djax has been much more soft tissue issues (which might not pop up as much with a winner) while Williams is coming of the torn labrum that cost him all of ‘20 while also dealing with other issues in ‘19. 

Just as a reference, as some of you were hyped about the possibility of a JJ Watt type joining the Rams, he is apparently getting many offers, some as high as $16m per year. That’s per year (likely 2 year deal) not total, which we can’t even dream about giving a new free agent that type of contract right now.

Temper your Free Agent expectations folks

• Like 2