2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

52 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

So you think Staley, a man who’s never coordinated a professional football team, single handedly turned this defense into a top unit all by himself, with no guidance or involvement from McVay, or any of the other defensive coaches in the building? I find that extremely hard to believe. 

Staley definitely had some negatives, every coach does; but he was able to do what Phillips wasn’t able to, and that was make adjustments. 

Staley was clearly most responsible for the success. It's also evident that the NFL feels that way because he does have very little experience and landed one of the best HC jobs in the offseason. 

Every person has negatives. It's just such a silly thing to say it when we only saw Staley coach 1 season and the defense went from average to league's best. The negatives Staley has as a coach, weren't even visible last year because the defense was such a strength. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Agree to disagree I guess… 

I'm not sure how it's debatable. He was the DC. It was his scheme. He was the guy making the adjustments. If you think there were negatives, that's a defensible opinion. But trying to give McVay credit for what Staley accomplished? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. If McVay is that much of a genius, why did the special teams stink to high heavens? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure how it's debatable. He was the DC. It was his scheme. He was the guy making the adjustments. If you think there were negatives, that's a defensible opinion. But trying to give McVay credit for what Staley accomplished? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. If McVay is that much of a genius, why did the special teams stink to high heavens? 

Like you said, coaching is collaborative, so why is giving McVay a little credit so ridiculous? Not all of the credit, not most of the credit, but a little??? I mean he is the HC….

Why did the special teams stink so much? The STs coach sucked. The PR/KR was pathetic. McVay hired someone with prior experience who he thought he could trust and the man was a dumpster fire. McVay is responsible for that catastrophe. He could’ve stepped in and taken a more aggressive role on STs, but he didn’t do Jack. 

McVay deserves major scrutiny for a horrible STs and an underwhelming offense, as do the other coaches who work those departments, but the HC also deserves a little praise for an awesome defense, along with the DC and the other defensive coaches. 

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

McVay deserves major scrutiny for a horrible STs and an underwhelming offense, as do the other coaches who work those departments, but the HC also deserves a little praise for an awesome defense, along with the DC and the other defensive coaches. 

To be clear, I give McVay a ton of credit for actually hiring Staley in the first place. That was inspired and he was clearly the decision maker on it. But it's hard for me to also give much praise his way on the actual execution of the defense. He obviously played some role but Staley was 100% the mastermind behind it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

To be clear, I give McVay a ton of credit for actually hiring Staley in the first place. That was inspired and he was clearly the decision maker on it. But it's hard for me to also give much praise his way on the actual execution of the defense. He obviously played some role but Staley was 100% the mastermind behind it. 

I understand where you’re coming from with  that, but I find it a little unfair that fans want to tear McVay a new one about STs, even though the STs coach is responsible for the actual execution of that aspect of the game, but struggle to give positive praise for the defense….I’m getting a vibe that some Rams fans are a little….bitter with McVay in some way shape or form…

it kinda feels like the same old story when it comes to HC; blame them for when things hit the fan, but pat everyone else on the back but the HC when things go smooth 

Edited by NYRamsFan88

2 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I understand where you’re coming from with  that, but I find it a little unfair that fans want to tear McVay a new one about STs, even though the STs coach is responsible for the actual execution of that aspect of the game, but struggle to give positive praise for the defense….I’m getting a vibe that some Rams fans are a little….bitter with McVay in some way shape or form…

it kinda feels like the same old story when it comes to HC; blame them for when things hit the fan, but pat everyone else on the back but the HC when things go smooth 

That's the nature of being a HC, it all falls on you.

I'm a big McVay proponent on this board, but the credit for last years defense I give to Staley. I give McVay all the credit in the world for finding him and I'm sure he taught him some locker room stuff as far as leading a unit/team that he learned from Wade, but the reason that defense was as succesful as it was is cause of Staley IMO. 

• Like 2

maybe we should wait and see how the chargers will look?

because staley couldn't scheme anything against the packers with donald and williams injured.
it was the same show as if these guys were fit.
maybe last years great defense shows us just how horrible overrated wade phillips is. and maybe explanies why that guy still out of a job.

lets also wait and see how our defense with donald, ramsey and co looks this season.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

That's the nature of being a HC, it all falls on you.

I'm a big McVay proponent on this board, but the credit for last years defense I give to Staley. I give McVay all the credit in the world for finding him and I'm sure he taught him some locker room stuff as far as leading a unit/team that he learned from Wade, but the reason that defense was as succesful as it was is cause of Staley IMO. 

I agree with you.

I wanted Staley to stay another two seasons, but things happen. I think we’re in good hands with Morris, and I don’t see why we can’t closely replicate last seasons success. He’s turned pass defenses into top units in the past, he’s got the experience, and he’s less stubborn than Phillips. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Like you said, coaching is collaborative, so why is giving McVay a little credit so ridiculous? Not all of the credit, not most of the credit, but a little??? I mean he is the HC….

As HC, McVay gets the credit for how the team performs as a whole and for the performance of his assistants. But he's not entitled to the credit for defensive gameplans and execution.

What's a little credit? You certainly seemed to be implying on the last page that the offense declined because McVay was helping Staley run the defense. I can't agree with that.

10 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Why did the special teams stink so much? The STs coach sucked.

Exactly. And conversely, the defense was great because our DC was great. (And because we had very good defensive talent.)

9 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Not ripping him for how bad they were but ripping him for his selection of ST coach that's 100% his responsibility there's no ducking out from that. Just as he gets credit for hiring Staley he gets the blame for Bonamego you can't have it both ways. Although a lot of people would have thought he'd make a change at kicker sooner. You could also excuse him and Bonamego for some of the problems based on health issues the coach went through which is why he's an advisor now instead of running ST.

It has nothing to do with bitter or not it's simply counter to what some people do with the Rams and give McVay and Snead a free pass for any of their bad decisions. You can disagree with a hiring or a play call or a draft pick/free agent signing and not be using the idiotic saying of hating them. You just disagree with a decision. Doesn't mean that we don't think he's done an overall outstanding job rebuilding the Rams.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, NYRamsFan88 said:

I agree with you.

I wanted Staley to stay another two seasons, but things happen. I think we’re in good hands with Morris, and I don’t see why we can’t closely replicate last seasons success. He’s turned pass defenses into top units in the past, he’s got the experience, and he’s less stubborn than Phillips. 

I wanted him to stay as well, but that's the nature of the beast in this league. Chance to get a promotion and not have to uproot your family entirely is rare.

I think we will still be a top 7-12 defense next year. That's certainly good enough to win a SuperBowl, but even if Staley stayed I still expected some regression. JJIII was an expected break-up, but we will still miss his leadership and play calling. I expect the ILB play to improve, but secondary was the strength of this defense and we lost 2 of 5 starters back there (Hill, JJIII). 

Raheem will be fine and some regression should be expected and accepted. 

Not sure how plugged in Michael Lombardi is with the Rams, maybe more so ATL. However, Rams were willing to move Woods for a 3rd Round pick to make room for Julio. The trade for Woods never materialized and they backed off. I knew the 2nd +4th wasn't too rich for our blood.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not sure how plugged in Michael Lombardi is with the Rams, maybe more so ATL. However, Rams were willing to move Woods for a 3rd Round pick to make room for Julio. The trade for Woods never materialized and they backed off. I knew the 2nd +4th wasn't too rich for our blood.

And now Jalen is trying to recruit Gilmore lol here goes another round of rumors 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I hope this report is not true because it would have been one of the dumbest thing Snead would have done.