2021 off-season discussion

BStanRamFan

32 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Just as a reference, as some of you were hyped about the possibility of a JJ Watt type joining the Rams, he is apparently getting many offers, some as high as $16m per year. That’s per year (likely 2 year deal) not total, which we can’t even dream about giving a new free agent that type of contract right now.

Temper your Free Agent expectations folks

It depends which teams are making those offers. I can see a team with a bad defense shelling out 16-17 million a year, but I think with a team like the Rams he’d be willing to take a little less. I was one of the few who were hyped about the possibility of coming here, but my expectations are always managed. 

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

It depends which teams are making those offers. I can see a team with a bad defense shelling out 16-17 million a year, but I think with a team like the Rams he’d be willing to take a little less. I was one of the few who were hyped about the possibility of coming here, but my expectations are always managed. 

If you want to say “a little less” then yea maybe, but we already take that for granted when saying a guy would pick us over someone else because were a “contender”. But guess what, most of the teams we are talking about jockeying for these free agents are contenders as well (especially when adding these types of guys). But if guys are getting multi year deals in the $7-10-16m range, we just can not compete with that right now.

Thats is in general for these types of guys, because there are only like 2 teams in worse cap space than us. And before you go saying “we can make cap space” yes I know, but so can ALL these other teams. 

With Watt specifically, both the Steelers and Packers (his most linked to destinations) are in a better Cap situation than us, even though they are also over right now. Plus they also have inherent advantages that we do not, his brothers both on the Steelers, and the Packers being back home. While the dark horse Browns are the ones who have plenty of Cap space already, and their D would take another leaP with Watt there. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

As much as I want Watt. I really don't think it would happen. That money would be better spent on a deep WR, more oline depth and a solid but not a break a bank edge rusher.

I honestly think we go all in on offense this year. Oline, Marvin Jones, and another TE. And maybe a solid bruiser back. You could get all those things for the price of JJ.

7 hours ago, Riftty said:

As much as I want Watt. I really don't think it would happen. That money would be better spent on a deep WR, more oline depth and a solid but not a break a bank edge rusher.

I honestly think we go all in on offense this year. Oline, Marvin Jones, and another TE. And maybe a solid bruiser back. You could get all those things for the price of JJ.

Oh yeah Watt was never happening. I'm sure we made a call, but half the league did as well. However, I fully agree with you assessment that we will focus on Offense with our limited cap space. I don't think Marvin Jones happens unless we end up moving Kupp or Woods. I can certainly see TE being brought in since it's a bit of a risk to say "Here's Matt Stafford's two year window and his 2nd TE is a 2nd year guy who hasn't caught a pass". I'd say we bring in atleast 1 O-linemen, 1 TE/WR via FA.

I think the draft will be BPA with a few positions in mind on the defensive side of the ball. The defense has the flexibility to regress to a 10-15defense and we can still be in superbowl contention as we saw last year we were arguably the best defense in the league and had a ceiling with our ofefnse.

Rapp/Burgess/Fuller and Nick Scott got alot of playing time last year.  Ramsey/Williams/Long. LB is the biggest deficiency and i expect us to draft one with our first 3 picks and perhaps bring in a vet at ILB on the cheap. DLine is fine with Donald/Brocks/SJD/Gaines. Would be interesting to see what we do with Robinson. Could maybe use another DE to generate a pass rush opposite Donald. 

With the cap situation were in, and our team to likely have a few-several cap casualties, one name that I haven’t seen mentioned nearly as much as some others is A’Shawn Robinson. I don’t understand why. Would his contract end up costing us more money or create dead cap? Because if not then he’d be the first on my list of guys to cut bait with. He showed me nothing last year to impress me and he plays a spot where we’re pretty deep at. Brockers is the name always brought up but he’s got history with the team and is the better player as well. 

On 2/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, NYRamsFan88 said:

Isn’t he on the injury prone boat with Jackson? He’s younger than DJax yes, but what’s the point if he poses the same problems??

He's, maybem a little less injury-prone but A LOT more drop-prone.  House Tyrell has never been a consistent plucker of the ball out of the air, even when he was a Charger.

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

With the cap situation were in, and our team to likely have a few-several cap casualties, one name that I haven’t seen mentioned nearly as much as some others is A’Shawn Robinson. I don’t understand why. Would his contract end up costing us more money or create dead cap? Because if not then he’d be the first on my list of guys to cut bait with. He showed me nothing last year to impress me and he plays a spot where we’re pretty deep at. Brockers is the name always brought up but he’s got history with the team and is the better player as well. 

It’s hard to really tell because we redid his deal with the COVID stuff, but as far as I can tell it would cost us more Cap to cut him, and we would save minimal if we traded him (like around a million). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Trading him would be a net negative of $250k and cutting him would cost us an extra $2.25 million so not sure moving on from him is that good of an option. His cap hit is only $4.25 million to begin with. Trading Brockers frees up more cap especially if done before his roster bonus is paid. Brockers also has performance and playoff bonuses built in to his contract potentially making him more expensive. I've loved Brock on the Rams for a long time but if it's a cost cutting move he makes more sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RamRod said:

New center on the market in case we can’t keep Blythe. Won’t affect comp picks.

Side note: think I’ll just rebrand this thread into the off-season thread.

Assorted comments I've read make him sound about on par with Blythe. If that's the case I get why they're cutting him at that salary. 

3 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Who is someone I like on early Day 3.  The name is escaping me right now but, from what tape I've seen, I like what I've seen out of the kid from UCF.

Tre Nixon? He's the deep threat. They have a stockier WR in Marlon Williams, but I like Nixon as a deep threat.

27 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

It was Nixon I was thinking of.

I had him in one of my first mocks. I like him too. He didn't run a diverse route tree there, but he has the change of direction skills and separation quickness to be a quality route runner. And he's definitely fast. Reminds me of Paul Richardson.