Eagles listening to Wentz trade offer

Xenos

Man, the first two 2016 draft picks really fell hard.

https://www.nfl.com/news/carson-wentz-teams-calling-eagles-potential-trade-qb

Sources say that teams have begun calling the Eagles on their former starter Wentz, plotting a roadmap for a potential trade as teams get closer to the start of the league year.

The Eagles are not in a hurry to trade Wentz -- and in fact as of now intend for him to return for 2021 under new coach Nick Sirianni -- but they did field the calls and discussed the issue. GM Howie Roseman will almost always listen, and this is no different.

Wentz signed a four-year, $128 million extension in June of 2019, and because of the way it's structured, a release is nearly impossible. But a trade before his $10 million roster bonus is due on March 19 would give the Eagles a more manageable dead money charge of $33.8 million, while a new team would take on $25.4 million in salary -- and a four-year, $98.4 million existing contract.

Edited by Xenos

Teams that I think would fit:

1.  Colts - Reich's relationship, their cap space, and their need to think both short & long-term.   If Reich & Wentz weren't familiar, Wentz wouldn't appeal short-term, but I think Reich's sold he can fix it quickly, and get Wentz into his system quickly.

2.  Patriots - lots of cap space.

I'd include the Bears, who are in no-man's land as to who they can target, and a D where waiting for a late 1st round rookie is both uncertain and unlikely to really help for 2021, fits - but their cap situation is trickier.    WFT isn't a candidate given the in-division angle.

After that....it's hard to see the fit.    And you wonder if the teams are looking to see if they can pay at a significant discount, compared to the Cousins / Stafford prices being tossed around (MIN holding out for a 1st), and the fact Goff's contract was sold as a liability, if PHI is willing to view it the same way.   That IMO is the most likely gulf that prevents a trade - how much teams are really willing to give up.

Add it up, seems like IND would be the biggest fit - along with PHI's reluctance / willingness to call it a day, it might come down to what IND is willing to pay price-wise (and it might come down to Carr's vs. Wentz's price).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

If Wentz doesn't want to be in Philly then trade him to the AFC. A starting linebacker, a 2nd and assorted mid round picks scattered in the 2021 and 2022 drafts will do it. Then the real pipe dream begins: Trade Hurts, DL depth player and God only knows how many drafts picks for Watson. 

I fully understand none this will happen... But Watson in Philly would be nice. 

Go Birds

MC 

Indy makes perfect sense BUT what if Luck truly wants to come back which I heard on The Herd reports suggest that might be true. So if Luck comes back to Indy then Wentz isn’t going there. I don’t think the Pats will go after Wentz. They more than likely will either try to get Jimmy G or look in the draft. I could see Chicago. Would be hilarious Wentz and Foles reunite to compete again for the starting job lol. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure. 

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Indy makes perfect sense BUT what if Luck truly wants to come back which I heard on The Herd reports suggest that might be true. So if Luck comes back to Indy then Wentz isn’t going there. I don’t think the Pats will go after Wentz. They more than likely will either try to get Jimmy G or look in the draft. I could see Chicago. Would be hilarious Wentz and Foles reunite to compete again for the starting job lol. It’s going to be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure. 

I highly doubt Luck comes back until I get a more reliable source than The Herd.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Who are the teams that can absorb it, financially? 

I think we can. 

Wentz and a 4th for our second? For us to take on the salary too? 

Honestly, pretty much anyone. None of his prorations carry over, so any team acquiring him can just can just restructure the deal to lower the hit this year if they wanted. Not recommended, to me, but not really an impetus if someone wanted to go with it.