Eagles listening to Wentz trade offer

Xenos

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So if the Colts offered two 2nds for Wentz, and they're also interested in Ertz, would bumping one of those 2nds to a 1st be too much for both? Maybe return a 4th?

Don't think you're getting that bump to the first round.  Probably just another early Day 3 pick in return.

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Fans and Media: Will they get rid of Pederson or Wentz?

Eagles: Why not both?

Well the one common factor is still there and He's obviously going nowhere. It should be clear now why both wanted out and it wasn't each other like you all so quickly believed.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Well the one common factor is still there and He's obviously going nowhere. It should be clear now why both wanted out and it wasn't each other like you all so quickly believed.

You think him going nowhere is going to be a good thing? You keep him then what does that mean for camp? If Wentz is named starter is it because Roseman doesn't want to look bad by paying him so much money to be back up to Hurts or did he actually win the job? If he did actually win the job what is it going to mean come week 1 when he struggles or week 6 fans and media will be calling for Hurts. What will hurts want to do knowing he is going back to backup and will he want out after getting a taste of starting and knowing that he will never get the opportunity with Wentz's contract being the way it is preventing him from being on the field. It is all bad precedence, Pederson benched Wentz, then he got fired, that right there could have been it where it looks like Pederson was the problem not the front office and you are backing your franchise qb. Then you ruin it by publicly talking trade deals for Wentz now it looks like both Wentz and Pederson were the problem, you have to move on from Wentz as it is going to be a PR nightmare and Wentz will have zero interest in wanting to play back up nor start for a team that wants to move him but for the right terms. You say it should be clear that both wanted out, have you thought it is clear that Roseman has Laurie's ear and is putting his words to use by saying the HC nor the franchise qb can challenge him so he wants them out? Roseman proved that with the HC hire that he has all the say.  Its going to come down to a situation where they hold on to Wentz far to long then the options are lacking and they have to settle for much less then the team originally offered. Philly has zero leverage at this point as teams like Chicago and Indy have put their best offers forward and you either have to take it or get stuck with the rotten egg that you created as no other team is going to jump in on the trade race this late in the game.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, Forge said:

I tend to agree with this. I think Ertz's return this year is not great. 

Schefter stated right before the 2020 trade deadline that Ertz would have been on the table however his injury happened the week prior. Ertz coming off injury at 30 years old with a 12 mil cap hit and wanting a contract extension I do not see him making it to TC with Eagles. Especially if Goedert is their future TE who will be a FA next year.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:
5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You think him going nowhere is going to be a good thing?

Think you misinterpreted my post. The common factor going nowhere is Howie Roseman. I don't and didn't think from the jump there was ever a Wentz/Pederson rift. Its clear to me that rift for both was/is with Howie.

Pederson did everything in his power to not bench Wentz until I believe he was forced by Howie. Hence why Pederson benched Hurts vs the Giants wk 17 knowing where it would lead. Also why Wentz wants out.

21 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yea it seems to me that Howie and Easterby are tearing up organizations because of how power consumes him. The more and more these guys were given say their Egos get larger and make mistakes. Once they start losing they start throwing people under the bus. It is crazy to me because I honestly do not see Wentz as the issue on that team nor did I see Pederson, I saw a ton of cap issues, injuries and lack of weapons for Wentz. Yes Pederson offense kind of went vanilla but did the inability to bring in his own coaches cause the issues of a lack of offense once Reich left ?

47 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea it seems to me that Howie and Easterby are tearing up organizations because of how power consumes him. The more and more these guys were given say their Egos get larger and make mistakes. Once they start losing they start throwing people under the bus. It is crazy to me because I honestly do not see Wentz as the issue on that team nor did I see Pederson, I saw a ton of cap issues, injuries and lack of weapons for Wentz. Yes Pederson offense kind of went vanilla but did the inability to bring in his own coaches cause the issues of a lack of offense once Reich left ?

Roseman's failing is in large part because he doesn't use a rebuild philosophy - it's always a view to try and win now at all costs - even as the foundation to win long-term crumbles.  It's how he's spent draft capital at the trade deadline to win the prior year for guys like Golden Tate and Darius Slay, and more importantly, it's influenced his early draft picks to a great extent (more on that next paragraph).  It's ironic that the one win-later move he made (drafting Hurts Rd2) is probably what gave him a reprieve.    A lot of GM's fall prey to this over time - and they seldom are around once the butcher's bill comes due.   

Where this win-present-year-at-all-costs philosophy has frankly hurt Roseman the most has been draft time - all of his moves the last 2 years have been made with a lens to fix immediate year-1 problems.   That seldom works, especially when you draft in the 20's Rd1 and 50's Rd2.   Needed a replacement for Alshon Jeffery - draft JJAW, because he was seen in the same mold of contested-catch, big-body 50-50 ball winner.   Next year, when the lack of speed was cited as the problem in 2019 - drafting Reagor over Jefferson (who was believed to be mostly a slot guy - oops).   This philosophy wasn't all bad - when the team was ascendant, because then they were only 1-2 guys away from getting there.  But once a team isn't that good, it's a killer philosophy.   Now, some of the moves were just unlucky (trading up to get T Dillard IMO was the right call - the dropoff was massive.  It's just that Dillard hasn't quite worked out yet).  Having said that, the one draft he's done that wasn't purely out of need as the driver - 2018, after a SB win - yielded the biggest return for the picks, with Goedert/Sweat.  But given the tight cap they've had to deal with, Roseman's used the draft to plug holes for year 1 - and that IMO has compounded his struggles there, along with the lost pick capital.

Having said all the above - Roseman's failings are based on a win-present-year strategy that often dooms GM's once the team stops being a legit contender (it certainly was Elway's downfall in 2017-19 offseasons, when the team wasn't a serious contender).   It's somewhat in hindsight, but clearly the last 2 years Philly hasn't been a legit contender to go deep in playoffs - and that's where the strategy to go all-in hurts a lot more.  The real Q is whether Roseman can adopt a rebuild strategy, as the team really looks like it needs a 1-2 year focus on youth and starting over (it doesn't have to be longer than that, if you fully commit).  If he can commit to a true rebuild, maybe he can recapture his early success.   If he can't, and just sticks to the win-now-at-all-costs strategy, then I'd think there will be a different GM in next year. 

On the other hand, though Easterby is just completely unqualified.   That's a huge difference. 

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Having said all the above - Roseman's failings are based on a win-present-year strategy that often dooms GM's (it certainly was Elway's downfall in 2017-19 offseasons, when the team wasn't a serious contender).    The real Q is whether Roseman can adopt a rebuild strategy.  If he can, maybe he can recapture his early success.   If he can't, then I'd think there will be a different GM in next year. 

On the other hand, though Easterby is just completely unqualified.   That's a huge difference. 

Yes that is what he needs to do to continue his career as Gm is rebuild start thinking that you aren't a year away and start thinking down the road using pieces like Ertz and Cox as trade pieces along with moving the Disgruntled Wentz at this point for whatever it takes. That clears bloated deals and you get draft capital.

My point on both guys was the ego in which they felt they had to be involved in everything and have to have say in most things.

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes that is what he needs to do to continue his career as Gm is rebuild start thinking that you aren't a year away and start thinking down the road using pieces like Ertz and Cox as trade pieces along with moving the Disgruntled Wentz at this point for whatever it takes. That clears bloated deals and you get draft capital.

My point on both guys was the ego in which they felt they had to be involved in everything and have to have say in most things.

Well in Roseman's case he is the GM.  That is his role.   Roseman's ego is that he thinks he's good enough to fix the problem the same way when it really needs a different strategy (and the insight to realize his strategy is now part of the problem, since 2018 - it was great before then, since then, now it's a weakness).

Easterby is wholly unqualified to be making football decisions of any kind.  That's on a  whole level higher of egomania (but yes, both have ego - just Roseman actually should be making the decisions - he's just going the wrong way about it, whereas Easterby should have zero involvement whatsoever).

Edited by Broncofan