Everything Free Agency 2021 - Rumors, news and notes

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Eh, he wants a long term deal is the vibes I got from listening to him today. He isn’t a fan of the franchise tag, so I doubt he signs a 1 year deal.

I get that he wants a long term deal. But it's going to be tough with the cap dropping (less teams with the space). Plus he's only ever played with crap QBs. One healthy year with a contender and he can make more the following year with what should be improved numbers.

College to NFL, his QBs:

Matt McGloin

Christian Hackenberg

Blake Bortles

Chad Henne

Mitch Trubisky

Nick Foles

Imagine him and his numbers with a real QB. I get that the Jags should be taking Lawrence, but how bad does he want a shot at winning?

Listening to Goodell today the cap dropping is not a sure thing.

They may work out a deal because its going to be rough on teams and players. (or it may drop, but not as drastically)

• Don't get me wrong, the owners will still make money.

It would be a great PR move for the NFL to take less profits as the players were so responsible during the pandemic.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I get that he wants a long term deal. But it's going to be tough with the cap dropping (less teams with the space). Plus he's only ever played with crap QBs. One healthy year with a contender and he can make more the following year with what should be improved numbers.

College to NFL, his QBs:

Matt McGloin

Christian Hackenberg

Blake Bortles

Chad Henne

Mitch Trubisky

Nick Foles

Imagine him and his numbers with a real QB. I get that the Jags should be taking Lawrence, but how bad does he want a shot at winning?

Even with the cap at 185M (well that’s what it’s looking like), I think he will still get a long term deal from some team. He has balled out with crap QB’s. He has proven he is one of the better WR’s in the NFL. As for the Jags, they will have like 90M to spend. I would think they would use a good chunk of that to surround Lawrence with weapons to give him the best chance to succeed. He said playing meaningful games in December/January is important to him. IMO, in the end, money talks. Especially in a state with no state income tax as well.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

They may work out a deal because its going to be rough on teams and players. (or it may drop, but not as drastically)

It would be a great PR move for the NFL to take less profits as the players were so responsible during the pandemic.

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine the player's union letting that happen, when the cap dropping would result in half the teams in the league being in cap hell, and every free agent having to take vet minimums to get a job, or more realistically, massive cuts from almost every roster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

It would be, but there’s not a chance in hell that ever happens. Would be amazing though.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

It would be, but there’s not a chance in hell that ever happens. Would be amazing though.

The owners don't want to have to gut their rosters.

Both sides want to work something out, even if its some kind of future year slight reductions to offset.

Yes, I am not holding my breath on the Owners just giving the players and extra 200-320 million.

20 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine the player's union letting that happen, when the cap dropping would result in half the teams in the league being in cap hell, and every free agent having to take vet minimums to get a job, or more realistically, massive cuts from almost every roster.

Agreed.

An agreement to boost the cap for 2021 by borrowing from 2022 and 2023.

NFL owners know a better on field product means better TV ratings.  Ratings are helped when name veterans are playing vs UDFA type players.

NFLPA doesn't want a large % of veteran players being cut and having little to no market for new deals with a shortage of cap space available league wide.

Lots of posturing and negotiating going to making headlines over the next 5+ weeks

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

GB, KC, or wherever Watson lands is my guess.

GB or KC don't have the cap space to pay Allen Robinson what he wants

If he doesn't get tagged by Bears then I'd look at teams like Miami, NYJ, Baltimore, Indy, LAC or SF being the likely candidates to sign him

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If he doesn't get tagged by Bears then I'd look at teams like Miami, NYJ, Baltimore, Indy, LAC or SF being the likely candidates to sign him

Niners are highly unlikely with Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle on the roster already. Not saying they wouldn’t like to have him cause I’m sure they would, but they aren’t desperate for pass catchers and beyond that they’ll be strapped to a degree with Trent Williams and Fred Warner needing new contracts as well as likely having to pay for 4/5 of a new secondary. 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:32 PM, SkippyX said:

As a chiefs fan I hope the cap goes down. We already got all our guys locked up so it would just screw over the rest of the league.

16 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Robinson will most likely not go to a team with an established star at WR

He is Keyshawn Johnson level 'throw me the *^(& ball" to the point where he was vocal about his displeasure with Nagy this year.

3rd option behind Kelce and Cheetah or 2nd fiddle to Davante does not sound like his goal at the moment.