Everything Free Agency 2021 - Rumors, news and notes

RaidersAreOne

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

If ballard is aware that free agency has started, I'd be surprised if they weren't in it. But I don't know that he is the all in type. I could see the chiefs doing the all in thing this year

I think Indy has 2 major needs - pass rusher, and LT.    The pass rush FA class is depleted now.   They could get an EDGE with 1.20  (maybe even the 1st/2nd overall, the class isn't great at the top there)...and Williams in FA.   They could get their LT at 1.20 (probably the 4th/5th off the board), but then they don't have a pass rusher.   

Of course SF could win out, and Indy goes back to LT at 1.20.  But I think Williams allows them to address their other need (and still go off the Big Board BPA relatively well), or go overall BPA and improve the team.   I agree Ballard hasn't been one to spend big bucks - until it's time to address a key position.  He spent a 1st to get Buckner (and showed him the $) when he was previously hoarding picks, and he spent 25M to get Old Man Rivers.    He's now in all-in mode, with cap room to spare.  If he passes on Williams, it's because he likes the LT at 1.20 and the rookie contract more long-term IMO.  He can't leave that position unaddressed if Indy wants to go far into the playoffs this year.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

@Broncofan great call there with regards to how FA and the draft fit together. 

I know @Forgedoesnt have a first round grade on an edge rusher, but the early 20s does seem like the place where you get 'good enough' value to take a chance on one of the top 2/3 guys 

If that is their plan, then they should absolutely open up the checkbook

I saw a Pat McAfee quote where he was talking about the colts cap space - "they know they have a lot of big contracts to hand out to their own guys soon.... but they've been saying that for years though". Pat is a colts fan and has remained in Indy after retirement. I'd say he's pretty plugged into what they are doing/thinking. 

Ballard hasn't been one to cash in the steady value he seems to add every year. The guy rarely trades up, usually gets teams to pay a good price when he moves back. His whole strategy is to never overpay. Remember that the Wentz deal was his first and only offer to Philly. He never budged, never waivered, never increased his offer. 

I feel like this is a situation where the only way Trent goes to the colts is if they are massively overpaying him. Otherwise, he would have gone there by now. They've been the highest offer the entire time. Seems like the niners haven't budged, otherwise Trent would have probably inked the deal with the 49ers by now as well.

Trent should have been tagged. He should have never hit the open market. The Niners restructured him last year as a sign of good faith to give him a signing bonus, since he hadnt been paid in like 17 months or whatever. While doing so he got us to agree to not tag him. Ugh. That was a big bargaining chip we gave away for free. Now that the big man is using the goddamn chiefs as leverage against us, it makes it even worse. 

Call me crazy but I am still confident the niners will make this deal with Trent. We will come up a couple bucks but do it reluctantly, so that he KNOWS he got the absolute best deal from us. That's all this has been about, getting the most money he can out of the 49ers. 

IF we weren't prepared to pay it, then we should have just taken Tristan wirfs last year. When we passed on that (which was the real reason we traded Buckner), we decided we were going to pay Williams top LT money. 

This would be such a monumental blunder from us if we can't get him inked for this reason. Sure, it's a good tackle draft, but I feel like either we will get jumped by someone who wants a tackle, or we will trade up and pay a huge price to move up for a tackle. 

I'd rather just pay trent than HAVE to take a tackle, especially because the niners also need a RT in the worst way possible as well. 

If only there was a guy on our team who is making 25m in base salary that we could cut/trade/restructure to clear up cap space... 

Edited by N4L

8 hours ago, N4L said:

@Broncofan great call there with regards to how FA and the draft fit together. 

I know @Forgedoesnt have a first round grade on an edge rusher, but the early 20s does seem like the place where you get 'good enough' value to take a chance on one of the top 2/3 guys 

If that is their plan, then they should absolutely open up the checkbook

I saw a Pat McAfee quote where he was talking about the colts cap space - "they know they have a lot of big contracts to hand out to their own guys soon.... but they've been saying that for years though". Pat is a colts fan and has remained in Indy after retirement. I'd say he's pretty plugged into what they are doing/thinking. 

Ballard hasn't been one to cash in the steady value he seems to add every year. The guy rarely trades up, usually gets teams to pay a good price when he moves back. His whole strategy is to never overpay. Remember that the Wentz deal was his first and only offer to Philly. He never budged, never waivered, never increased his offer. 

I feel like this is a situation where the only way Trent goes to the colts is if they are massively overpaying him. Otherwise, he would have gone there by now. They've been the highest offer the entire time. Seems like the niners haven't budged, otherwise Trent would have probably inked the deal with the 49ers by now as well.

Trent should have been tagged. He should have never hit the open market. The Niners restructured him last year as a sign of good faith to give him a signing bonus, since he hadnt been paid in like 17 months or whatever. While doing so he got us to agree to not tag him. Ugh. That was a big bargaining chip we gave away for free. Now that the big man is using the goddamn chiefs as leverage against us, it makes it even worse. 

Call me crazy but I am still confident the niners will make this deal with Trent. We will come up a couple bucks but do it reluctantly, so that he KNOWS he got the absolute best deal from us. That's all this has been about, getting the most money he can out of the 49ers. 

IF we weren't prepared to pay it, then we should have just taken Tristan wirfs last year. When we passed on that (which was the real reason we traded Buckner), we decided we were going to pay Williams top LT money. 

This would be such a monumental blunder from us if we can't get him inked for this reason. Sure, it's a good tackle draft, but I feel like either we will get jumped by someone who wants a tackle, or we will trade up and pay a huge price to move up for a tackle. 

I'd rather just pay trent than HAVE to take a tackle, especially because the niners also need a RT in the worst way possible as well. 

If only there was a guy on our team who is making 25m in base salary that we could cut/trade/restructure to clear up cap space... 

McGlinchey not working out?

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think Indy has 2 major needs - pass rusher, and LT.    The pass rush FA class is depleted now.   They could get an EDGE with 1.20  (maybe even the 1st/2nd overall, the class isn't great at the top there)...and Williams in FA.   They could get their LT at 1.20 (probably the 4th/5th off the board), but then they don't have a pass rusher.   

Of course SF could win out, and Indy goes back to LT at 1.20.  But I think Williams allows them to address their other need (and still go off the Big Board BPA relatively well), or go overall BPA and improve the team.   I agree Ballard hasn't been one to spend big bucks - until it's time to address a key position.  He spent a 1st to get Buckner (and showed him the $) when he was previously hoarding picks, and he spent 25M to get Old Man Rivers.    He's now in all-in mode, with cap room to spare.  If he passes on Williams, it's because he likes the LT at 1.20 and the rookie contract more long-term IMO.  He can't leave that position unaddressed if Indy wants to go far into the playoffs this year.

Villanueva wouldnt be a bad back up option for LT spot wouldnt cost as much as Trent just landed