Everything Free Agency 2021 - Rumors, news and notes

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I don’t see them as contenders. I think there’s 2 contenders in the AFC in the chiefs and bills and no one has done anything this offseason to be put in their class. Maybe the browns 

I mean this is a safe and lazy take considering how ever changing the NFL landscape is. The difference between so many NFL teams isn’t that big. Perfect example the 7th seed Colts played on par with the 2nd seed Bills and should’ve won imo. 

It’s not like the NBA where only 2-3 top teams stabilize for long periods of time. The  Patriots are probably the only team in the last few decades where you can say that because they had the Goat QB and Goat Coach very rare.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The issue is no team would have interest until after the draft.   But take Denver - if they don't get Watson or one of the top 4 rookies - absolutely would have kicked the tires.    They were talking Dalton, Fitz, Minshew as alternatives, and yes, Darnold.   Mariota wasn't available, but obv if they're looking there, hard to think they wouldn't consider Mariota.   There are teams that are probably hoping to land QB, or holding out hope for Watson (fading, obv) - they aren't going to commit to Mariota now.   

And for emphasis:

I get the Raiders' offer was here and now - I just think if he waited until after draft, at worst he loses 1M.   Trading in that 1M security for seeing how things shake out post-draft, where who knows, even the Raiders could have offered him that same 3.5M worst-case (or maybe they take 1M off) - it's not worth keeping his options open.  He was literally the last decent backup available on FA with some future upside still left (other than Darnold, obv, but he's getting traded).    

I just don't think 3.5M was enough to trade the opportunity to close those avenues.   If a team gets desperate and trades for Mariota, then I think we can make the assumption they would have gladly paid a little more for that chance.   I get your point - just seems like the odds were weighed in his favor, and the risk of losing 1M+ was worth it.    We might have to wait until 2022 to really know (if there's literally no market but backup for him then).

I get the feeling the Raiders said: We will not pay you $10 mio, you will either either take the pay cut or we will cut you. However we will only cut you about 15 minutes before the first snap of the regular season.  Which really is the worst situation for MM to get in imo. Otherwise i don't understand why he would sign this.

Best case scenario for MM is that he still gets traded and gets a shot at starting and making up to 8 mio in incentives.

Raiders win in any case, either a top backup qb for 3 mio or a good pick after trading him.

17 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I usually don't like to be over dramatic about things but I think there is a decent chance D. Watson never takes another snap in the NFL

This feels to me like it's gone nuclear. I'm wondering if Houston had been sweeping some of this stuff under the rug or holding it for leverage. Then when Watson refused to play they got defensive. Rather than playing ball with Watson and trying to work out something where they all benefitted from a change the Texans simply decided that if Watson wouldn't play for them then they were going to make sure he wouldn't play anywhere, Trade comp be damned.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

This feels to me like it's gone nuclear. I'm wondering if Houston had been sweeping some of this stuff under the rug or holding it for leverage. Then when Watson refused to play they got defensive. Rather than playing ball with Watson and trying to work out something where they all benefitted from a change the Texans simply decided that if Watson wouldn't play for them then they were going to make sure he wouldn't play anywhere, Trade comp be damned.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

It's actually not that crazy. In fact, it fits the timeline and scenario best. Maybe their team "fixers" had kept things quiet, he played hardball, and Cal McNair passed the details to family friend Buzbee. It's not like Buzbee typically handles this form of law. It's a surreal situation, but the Texans covering for him for a while and getting fed up when he refused to play might actually be a logical solution to all the weirdness.

49 minutes ago, Cypher said:

It's actually not that crazy.

Maybe McNair was paying off these people too, but now that Watson wants to leave, he stopped his payments and they went public???

Yeah, no. It’s crazy.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Maybe McNair was paying off these people too, but now that Watson wants to leave, he stopped his payments and they went public???

Yeah, no. It’s crazy.

I mean, the idea would be the McNairs paid them off through their "fixers", yeah. If people don't believe the NFL has fixers and a lot of incredibly shady stuff players do never sees the light of day, I imagine you believe every politician has your best interest at heart, too. Once Deshaun decided to play hardball and want out, why would they keep protecting him?

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Minshew to 49ers buzz growing - could it work? 

He's not coming into start or anything.  Makes a ton of sense. 49ers really need a good backup, and in that role he's probably one of the better ones. Niners coaching staff also has a history with him