Dodgers sign RHP Trevor Bauer

beekay414

9 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I'm not paying a 30 year old with an injury history and one full length high leverage year $40M when he wants to leave after a year lol. No way in hell. I'm giving you that AAV you're here for 3 years at least. That's just the Cespedes deal again.

But why? If you can afford to pay that and you don't, that's just money burning a hole in your pocket. It doesn't hamstring roster construction long-term either.

At this point in the offseason there's like zero opportunity cost to worry about because Bauer is by far the best FA available.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

1 minute ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

But why? If you can afford to pay that and you don't, that's just money burning a hole in your pocket. It doesn't hamstring roster construction long-term either.

Because I'd rather pay that money on 3-4 other players that supplement the roster in a better way rather than dumping a ton of money on a guy who's out the door anyway. I'm not saying sign nobody I'm saying use the money in better ways.

14 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Lol Bauer's not worth that

Yep. Very little chance Bauer's production comes anywhere close in value to what he's gonna be making these next 2 years. Dodgers probably don't care too much though since it's such a short-term deal to where the sunk cost isn't gonna be a drag on them for too long

• Like 1

Dodgers will be fine. Andrew Friedman is no idiot. He has always been real quit in FA waiting for the perfect move. 

2 year deal that won’t hamper them from singing  Seager. The Dodgers can afford to do this cause their roster has very little holes 

This type of deal is exactly the type of deal they offered Harper. 

Edited by agarcia34

14 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Dodgers will be fine. Andrew Friedman is no idiot. He has always been real quit in FA waiting for the perfect move. 

2 year deal that won’t hamper them from singing  Seager. The Dodgers can afford to do this cause their roster has very little holes 

This type of deal is exactly the type of deal they offered Harper. 

I mean it's not a bad deal for the Dodgers because they have a good/elite farm still and unlimited money. The Mets roster is good but it's not Dodgers good where adding a guy like Bauer is a supplementary add, they need this money elsewhere.

I just don't think it's a particularly good deal either. Bauer is overrated, he vastly outperformed every single aspect of his career last year.

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean it's not a bad deal for the Dodgers because they have a good/elite farm still and unlimited money. The Mets roster is good but it's not Dodgers good where adding a guy like Bauer is a supplementary add, they need this money elsewhere.

I just don't think it's a particularly good deal either. Bauer is overrated, he vastly outperformed every single aspect of his career last year.

I don't think the Dodgers need or expect him to put up a 276 ERA+. And by FIP he didn't even outperform his 2018, so you're incorrect.

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Lol Bauer's not worth that

In baseball a player is only not worth something if it prevents the team of signing players and getting better in other areas. I don't see that as an issue for the Dodgers over these next 2 years given what they already have. So this is just money that is going to a player instead of pocketed by an owner

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

All I'll say is look at spin rates and how he has talked in the past. Decent chance this isn't all luck but an....um...."adjustment"

• Like 1

I mean, I knew the Reds weren't going to re-sign him (we're apparently not going to sign anyone of note) but it still makes me sad.  Probably the right move for the Reds though to not go in for 2 years, $85 mil (which is what this contract is unless he gets hurt). At least he'll always be mentioned as a CY winner for the Reds.

tenor.gif

On 2/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, Trojan said:

I thought he was going to do 1 year whoever offers the most money every year of his career once he left team control. I guess the option to opt out every year is still kinda keeping that strategy open though.

I mean, it's technically correct. Which is the most correct.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, Trojan said:

I thought he was going to do 1 year whoever offers the most money every year of his career once he left team control. I guess the option to opt out every year is still kinda keeping that strategy open though.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784834-trevor-bauer-to-be-shot-in-the-nuts-with-paintball-if-he-inks-multi-year-deal

Wonder how hard he is siding with you that this is still a 1 yr deal

• Like 2