Offseason and a defensive mock

OnWisconsin-JRS

Offensive FA Defensive Mock

Gutey and Matt know they need to go all in for one more Super Bowl for Aaron. But they won’t mortgage the future to make it happen but make some smart moves for long term success.

First Matt hires his defensive guy and he gets a guy that runs the system that McVay runs in LA well the one that McVay hires a defensive coach to run.

Ejiro Evero Secondary Coach

Runs a 4-3 which I actually think we are set up pretty good to run plus now the NFL is a lot of sub packages. But think about it Clark can play the Donald spot. Z and Gary are natural 4-3 ends and I just think the transition can be smooth.

First things first let’s get some money to spend.

Cut:

Christian Kirksey

Dean Lowry

Devin Funchess

Restructures:

Aaron Rodgers - I won’t be happy this off-season without resigning him to an extension and keeping him a Packer for life. Love is trade bait to me next offseason.

Davante Adams - another move that needs to be done. The best Packer receiver ever and Rodgers to Adams is just something that needs to keep happening 

Preston Smith - is approached to take a little paycut to stay with the he team and also gain a year. Can back up both Z and Gary.

Z - Russ Ball is a busy man to get Gutey his money. Plus let’s be honest he is a stud and we need him

Gutey has come out and said he will kick some money down the road to get back to the show and he is doing it. Next offseason only one really left is Jaire to lock up.

Resigning:

Bahk - already done 

Aaron Jones - I know I know signing a running back to a second contract is risky and may be stupid but Jones is a huge part of our offseason and is a Packer at his core. Takes a hometown discount but still gets his money. Aaron Rodgers loves this. Thunder and Lighting is here to stay 

Tonyan - 2nd Round tender he is a Packer for awhile 

Lazard - cheap and a great Packer why not keep him. Best blocker at the WR position in the NFL

Mercedes Lewis - one more run. Great teammate and locker room guy.

Lane Taylor - guard competition 

All other RFA and ERFA brought back we need the cheap guys. 

Notables Gone:

Linsley, King, and Williams 

Free Agent:

Corey Davis WR - Gutey gets him a big fish. Tom Brady had weapons and now we do.

Adams, Davis, MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, A Jones, Dillon, Degura, and Lewis. I think we are locked and loaded.

This draft has to be defensive loaded because we are stacked on offensive.

The Draft:

1: Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina

• Takes Kings spot and is way more talented.

2: Chazz Surratt LB North Carolina

• since switching to a 4-3 we need 3 LB and now with Martin, Barnes and Surratt we are young but super talented.

3: Richie Grant S UCF

• Savage has been playing the slot very well lately and Grant was BPA and will see the field in sub packages

4: Tyler Shelvin DT LSU

• rotates in the tackle position.

4c: Marlon Williams WR UCF 

• great slot wr. Has amazing hands across the middle. Reminds me of James Jones. Can really high point the ball.

5: Trevon Grimes WR Florida

• big guy that was behind Toney but def has some skills

5c: Jermar Jefferson RB Oregon St.

• Comes in and completes for the 3 rb spot.

6: D’Ante Smith OT East Carolina 

• is a little light but has the skill and length to be a player but might be a 1 or 2 year project.

6c: Quintin Morris TE Bowling Green

• has the talent reminds me of Dafney a little big. See what happens

7: Naquan Jones DT Michigan St.

• maybe a rotation guy but comes in and adds depth on the interior. 

That would be a solid draft if we did revert to a 4-3 defense, Horn is super talented corner and could end up being the best corner in this years draft. Surratt is still raw but has shown a lot of promise in his transition he made at North Carolina. Also love both defensive Tackles Jones and Shelvin are block eating tackles are just smoother running lanes. Overall very solid draft and off season moves wouldn't be mad at any of this.

Why is Clark playing UT and not NT? Why are we switching to a 4-3 without a stud UT? Do you just REALLY love Keke?

I'm really confused how the takeaway from this Bucs game wasn't how absolutely gross it is having dead weight on your DL eating 60% of snaps. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 4

I'd be OK being the first team to ever come out and call 3-3-5 as their base. Just don't like the 4-3. There's no way you can convince me that having 3 LBs on the field with this roster is truly the way to get our best 11 out there.

Paying 10-12 million for Jones and drafting Dillon is just way too much invested at RB. Only way I bring Jones back is if he just comes crawling back to us for like 32/4. Otherwise, bye. Use that money to replace King in FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd be OK being the first team to ever come out and call 3-3-5 as their base. Just don't like the 4-3. There's no way you can convince me that having 3 LBs on the field with this roster is truly the way to get our best 11 out there.

Paying 10-12 million for Jones and drafting Dillon is just way too much invested at RB. Only way I bring Jones back is if he just comes crawling back to us for like 32/4. Otherwise, bye. Use that money to replace King in FA.

Agreed. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Jones is gone TBH at this point. Williams proved he's a strong enough RB2 and our offense proved that we can get away with not having a featured back like Jones as well. That said, why cut Funchess? He's cheap and he's got the size and physicality our coaching staff loves; even if you're signing Corey Davis, which probably won't happen anyway. Also, it makes no sense to swap Davis for Funchess when you draft two WR's in the middle of the draft while signing everyone else at the position but Austin. We also can do better than a Safety in the 3rd round though I'm certainly not opposed to drafting a Safety. We need an OT much earlier given that Wagner and Turner were EXPOSED against TB - yeah I said it...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why is Clark playing UT and not NT? Why are we switching to a 4-3 without a stud UT? Do you just REALLY love Keke?

I'm really confused how the takeaway from this Bucs game wasn't how absolutely gross it is having dead weight on your DL eating 60% of snaps. 

This brings up a question I had. If you have a OL eater like Shelvin or the kid from Florida, does Clark have the game for UT in a base 4-3?

11 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

This brings up a question I had. If you have a OL eater like Shelvin or the kid from Florida, does Clark have the game for UT in a base 4-3?

Could he play it, yeah. He can play any of them. 

But why would you want him to? His skillset is that of the rare NT that can get pressure from the 1/0. The pass rushing 3T is a much more commonly available player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Could he play it, yeah. He can play any of them. 

But why would you want him to? His skillset is that of the rare NT that can get pressure from the 1/0. The pass rushing 3T is a much more commonly available player.

A pass rush 3T is easier to find than a run stopping NT?

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, a pass rushing 3T is easier to to find than a pass rushing NT.

Well, that’s not the question. Unless you want a run stopping 3T and a pass rush NT. 

Would we be better with Clark as a pass rush NT with crap at 3T or... another run stopping NT and Clark at 3T?  

We have Clark. What’s an easier find to place next to him, 3T pass rusher or run stopping NT? AND can Clark be that pass rushing 3T? 

32 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Well, that’s not the question. Unless you want a run stopping 3T and a pass rush NT. 

Would we be better with Clark as a pass rush NT with crap at 3T or... another run stopping NT and Clark at 3T?  

We have Clark. What’s an easier find to place next to him, 3T pass rusher or run stopping NT? AND can Clark be that pass rushing 3T? 

We want a pass rushing 3T and a pass rushing NT. Settling for moving Clark to 3T with a blob at NT caps the defense in a very real way.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We want a pass rushing 3T and a pass rushing NT. Settling for moving Clark to 3T with a blob at NT caps the defense in a very real way.

Ya no kidding so does every team but that’s easier said than done. I still kind a feel like we have the 3T in Clark and a run stopper is easier to find while we look for a quality 3T so we could move Clark back to nose. That’s where I was going with it. I just wanted your opinion on whether or not you felt Clark had the skill set in the first place to be a quality 3T. Thanks, you’ve confirmed it. 

Edited by MantyWrestler