Jump to content

Ex Cowboy on last 25 years.


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

insta.gif

13 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-everything-comes-before-winning-says-ex-star

Talk about beating a dead horse.

BUT!!!!!

It appears no HC, QB, force of nature can save this team until the "buisness" side of things (ie: Jerry Jones) pits the actual game of football 1st.

Yup, and that guy running the ball, you know, the 3rd best RB ever has ZER0 rings.

The author of the article has 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp/news/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-everything-comes-before-winning-says-ex-star

Talk about beating a dead horse.

BUT!!!!!

It appears no HC, QB, force of nature can save this team until the "buisness" side of things (ie: Jerry Jones) puts the actual game of football 1st.

I’ve been saying that for years but few people listen. Jerry’s main priority is making money and staying relevant. Winning is ancillary. As long as the Cowboys remain “relevant” and in the public spotlight, then he’ll make money whether the team wins or not. And, if you’re selling out the stadium each week and selling tons of merchandise globally because of “the brand”, then it makes no difference at all whether the product on the field is a 12-4 team or a 4-12 team, because the profit margin is the same.

Edited by plan9misfit
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

I’ve been saying that for years but few people listen. Jerry’s main priority is making money and staying relevant. Winning is ancillary. As long as the Cowboys remain “relevant” and in the public spotlight, then he’ll make money whether the team wins or not. And, if you’re selling out the stadium each week and selling tons of merchandise globally because of “the brand”, then it makes no difference at all whether the product on the field is a 12-4 team or a 4-12 team, because the profit margin is the same.

That's all I'm saying Plan. The guy pulling the strings and pressing the buttons has his priorities on dollars not trophies. And, aside from the Cowboys faithful, the guys hurting the most are the Tony Romo's, Jason Witten's, Sean Lee's, Dez Bryant's, etc.

Soon you can add Zeke Elliot to that list along with many others who came to Dallas with the understanding that they hit bigtime, for their bank accounts yes, but for the professional athlete looking to test his skills against the best and prove himself a champion, that's a big fat NOPE!

All in the name of making a buck.

What really has me scratching my head is, how, after 25 years of nothing, does this franchise remain relevant in the merchandise market????

I mean, thus team has been a punchline for a quarter of a decade.

How in the hell does he do it?

Edited by Rtnldave
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rtnldave said:

 

I mean, thus team has been a punchline for a quarter of a decade.

How in the hell does he do it?

I don't think it's him directly per se pulling it off....as simply its the past success. It's.......THE Dallas Cowboys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

I don't think it's him directly per se pulling it off....as simply its the past success. It's.......THE Dallas Cowboys.

I get it, but I have a nephew that just got married and says he NEVER even seen the Cowboys in a championship game. 

How could anyone born in the last 20 years see this team as anything but the the way we looked at the Oilers of the 70s or Browns of the 80s?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the article is less an indictment of Jerry's priorities and more about how great a marketer he is. Is he not supposed to do his best to market the team? Does that mean that he can't also do his best to win at the same time? However, his best hasn't been good enough but he has spent plenty of money trying. I think this is more about the players mentality once they get a taste of the Star. It's on the players if they're more worried about their brand instead of winning. I also believe many players in most sports are too focused on their brand as opposed to winning, especially in basketball.

You can blame Jerry for not succeeding, but I wouldn't say he doesn't care about winning. It is ludicrous to think that. What is the ultimate marketing strategy? I would think it is winning Super Bowls and I'm sure Jerry would agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WittWareTNew said:

I think the article is less an indictment of Jerry's priorities and more about how great a marketer he is. Is he not supposed to do his best to market the team? Does that mean that he can't also do his best to win at the same time? However, his best hasn't been good enough but he has spent plenty of money trying. I think this is more about the players mentality once they get a taste of the Star. It's on the players if they're more worried about their brand instead of winning. I also believe many players in most sports are too focused on their brand as opposed to winning, especially in basketball.

You can blame Jerry for not succeeding, but I wouldn't say he doesn't care about winning. It is ludicrous to think that. What is the ultimate marketing strategy? I would think it is winning Super Bowls and I'm sure Jerry would agree.

To say Jerry doesn't care about winning is NOT what the article or anyone is saying.

What we are saying is he cares MORE about marketing and making money using the Cowboys Brand then he is focused on doing what is necessary to get the right personnel in here to compete and win a title.

A good example of this is when Jimmy Johnson was here and just won a big game and wanted to address his players ALONE with no press, no visitors,no one at all, a private meeting between him and the team.

While Jerry was entertaining an Aribian Prince or something and insisted he be allowed in the meeting after the game much to Johnson's dismay.

Now, I don't know what that has to do with marketing or winning, but it's the idea that the guy winning the games on the field has a plan and a way of doing things and Jerry did not respect that. He used his influence as owner to undermine the guy winning games for him.

That's the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

To say Jerry doesn't care about winning is NOT what the article or anyone is saying.

What we are saying is he cares MORE about marketing and making money using the Cowboys Brand then he is focused on doing what is necessary to get the right personnel in here to compete and win a title.

A good example of this is when Jimmy Johnson was here and just won a big game and wanted to address his players ALONE with no press, no visitors,no one at all, a private meeting between him and the team.

While Jerry was entertaining an Aribian Prince or something and insisted he be allowed in the meeting after the game much to Johnson's dismay.

Now, I don't know what that has to do with marketing or winning, but it's the idea that the guy winning the games on the field has a plan and a way of doing things and Jerry did not respect that. He used his influence as owner to undermine the guy winning games for him.

That's the point.

Just to be clear, I do think he cares about winning above all else. But you make a great point about his ego that can be a great detriment to the team and was one of the reasons for the demise of the 90s team. But to be fair, it does appear that he has learned a lot from those days and has done a better job of not letting his ego get the best of him. He still wants the credit but has relinquished some decision making, especially to Stephen and Willie. Not saying if giving those two more power is a good thing or not, its just an observation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WittWareTNew said:

Just to be clear, I do think he cares about winning above all else. But you make a great point about his ego that can be a great detriment to the team and was one of the reasons for the demise of the 90s team. But to be fair, it does appear that he has learned a lot from those days and has done a better job of not letting his ego get the best of him. He still wants the credit but has relinquished some decision making, especially to Stephen and Willie. Not saying if giving those two more power is a good thing or not, its just an observation.

And a fair one at that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, WittWareTNew said:

I think the article is less an indictment of Jerry's priorities and more about how great a marketer he is. Is he not supposed to do his best to market the team? Does that mean that he can't also do his best to win at the same time? However, his best hasn't been good enough but he has spent plenty of money trying. I think this is more about the players mentality once they get a taste of the Star. It's on the players if they're more worried about their brand instead of winning. I also believe many players in most sports are too focused on their brand as opposed to winning, especially in basketball.

You can blame Jerry for not succeeding, but I wouldn't say he doesn't care about winning. It is ludicrous to think that. What is the ultimate marketing strategy? I would think it is winning Super Bowls and I'm sure Jerry would agree.

That's when you hire a GM to manage the team while he handles marketing and making money

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

That's when you hire a GM to manage the team while he handles marketing and making money

Bingo!!! Yahtzee!!!

Tell em what he's won Bob....

Lol, I'm right there with you Buddy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...