Saints QB Drew Brees agrees to drop salary to league minimum; Saves Saints $24M

RaidersAreOne

13 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

All they're doing is spreading out the hit when he retires over two years instead of one, and lowering the salary he wouldn't have gotten anyways.

I understand what they’re doing lol

i was just being a meme 

21 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

So who are they restructuring/extending to get under the cap?

this explains how the Saints could’ve gotten under the cap, even paying brees his full salary .... now they’re in an even better spot 

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

NFL shouldn’t allow this... Think of the money he wasted buying Diamonds! Think of the children. 

*** Correction: Think of the money he wasted “investing” in diamonds. ***

Get your facts straight.

11 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Because the Saints and Mickey Loomis are the only ones smart enough to add a voidable year. It adds flexibility. 

That's not what they did here though, Brees took a "pay cut" to his base salary, which he was never going to get paid because he's retiring, because it cleared up the space now, rather than when he retires on 6/1 or 6/2 (he has to retire after June 1 to spread out the cap hit from the accelerated salary cap prorations on those voidable years you alluded to) 

This is what @Jakuvious was alluding to earlier 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Because the Saints and Mickey Loomis are the only ones smart enough to add a voidable year. It adds flexibility. 

Other teams do this. This is one of the reasons that the eagles are in cap hell. The niners do it as well which I can't stand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Other teams do this. This is one of the reasons that the eagles are in cap hell. The niners do it as well which I can't stand. 

“Cap hell”

tell me more of your spooky stories! Got any about ghosts or monsters under the bed? Maybe Bigfoot perhaps?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

“Cap hell”

tell me more of your spooky stories! Got any about ghosts or monsters under the bed? Maybe Bigfoot perhaps?

The saints cap situation is actually better than the eagles in my opinion. I don't think yours is that bad. I've messed around with it and it's fairly easy to navigate

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The saints cap situation is actually better than the eagles in my opinion. I don't think yours is that bad. I've messed around with it and it's fairly easy to navigate

I appreciate everything about you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dome said:

“Cap hell”

When the path to getting under the cap involves cutting 7-8 players, having one retire, having 5 - 10 restructure, two more extended, and having to let most UFAs just walk, yes, cap hell is a thing, and you're in it.

I've fought this fight so many times on this board, and I won't stop. Cap hell does not mean being unable to get under the cap. Cap hell is when you're making roster decisions based purely on financial need, not on actual personnel. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

When the path to getting under the cap involves cutting 7-8 players, having one retire, having 5 - 10 restructure, two more extended, and having to let most UFAs just walk, yes, cap hell is a thing, and you're in it.

I've fought this fight so many times on this board, and I won't stop. Cap hell does not mean being unable to get under the cap. Cap hell is when you're making roster decisions based purely on financial need, not on actual personnel. 

If you can’t detect the tongue in cheek tone of my posts at this point, I’m not sure what to tell you.

The Saints had a huge roster turnover a few years ago, 26 of their 53 players were new faces on the team, all in one season. So how is that different than cutting 7 players and letting some unimportant UDFAs walk so you can replace them with new players?

Were we in “cap hell” then too?

If so, can we all agree that “hell” is a ridiculously exaggerated term?

Edited by Dome

I am confused on how this saves money.  The guaranteed money is guaranteed by the CBA.  His salary would come off the books as soon as he retires so who cares.  Even with voidable years all the signing bonus (aka guaranteed money) counts against the cap right away ( unless he is a post June 1 cut).

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am confused on how this saves money.  The guaranteed money is guaranteed by the CBA.  His salary would come off the books as soon as he retires so who cares.  Even with voidable years all the signing bonus (aka guaranteed money) counts against the cap right away ( unless he is a post June 1 cut).

That's what they will be doing.  They are pushing the cap hit to next year when it's probably going to be a higher cap and they won't be affected as much by it.

• Like 1