2020/2021 Bucs V 2019/2020 49ers

mdonnelly21

Who wins   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins 

• Bucks
    • Last year 49ers

Both great teams. Only three teams have finished Top 5 in DVOA in both Offense and Defense the past two seasons: 2019 49ers, 2020 Saints, and the 2020 Buccaneers. Personally I think the Bucs would defeat the 49ers in a low-scoring affair, the main reason being: Brady is a much better QB than Jimmy.

Edited by BayRaider

On 2/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Blackstar12 said:

Niners that DL would give Brady trouble all game long. 

49ers would get some pressure for sure, but Wirfs transformed into the best RT in the league as the season progressed. PFF also rated Bucs OL as the 5th Best in the League to close the season.

Bucs. 

Better offense, non-debatable. Slightly weaker DL, probably a push at LB, slightly better secondary - defense you can probably go with a push, small edge to the Niners if any at all. 

After this postseason and last night especially, I’d trust Brady and the Bucs’ staff to game plan (and execute) better than we’ve seen Shanahan do the same. 

End of the day, wouldn’t trust Jimmy in a big game nearly as much as I would Brady. 

The two key matchups in this game is the 49ers defensive line against the Bucs offensive line and the 49ers run game against the Bucs rush defense.  

• The 49ers defensive line features Armstead, Ford, Buckner, and Bosa.  The Bucs offensive line is highly rated but this definitely favorable to the 49ers.  The reason why this is the key matchup of the game is Brady is not Brady under pressure.  He was averaging less than 50% completion percentage when under pressure.  The 49ers were the best team in hurries and the second best team in pressures.  I don't see Brady having enough time for long-developing plays and the 49ers are pretty strong against dump offs.   
  • The 49ers offense is entirely dependent on establishing the run to step up play action...or just continue running.  The Bucs run defense is the team's biggest strength.  The 2019 Bucs had a better run defense than the 2020 team by YPC and they shut down the 49ers run game in week 1 (3 YPC).  The 49ers run game improved after they established mosert as the main guy but I still think this is definitely a win for the Bucs. 

I think turnovers is a wash.  Brady had a lot of turnovers this post-season and he'll face the best pass rush he's faced all year.  I expect him to throw 1 pick.  Inversely, Jimmy will probably only throw the ball 15 times.  He will probably throw one really dumb int.  

Based on this, I'd expect a low scoring game.  I give the 49ers a slight edge for two reasons.  

1) I think the 49ers defense is a tier above the Bucs defense.  I think eventually Kittle will cause one game-changing play and the run game will get better in the 2nd half.

2) I'm a homer.

22 hours ago, ASmithFan1010 said:

The two key matchups in this game is the 49ers defensive line against the Bucs offensive line and the 49ers run game against the Bucs rush defense.  

• The 49ers defensive line features Armstead, Ford, Buckner, and Bosa.  The Bucs offensive line is highly rated but this definitely favorable to the 49ers.  The reason why this is the key matchup of the game is Brady is not Brady under pressure.  He was averaging less than 50% completion percentage when under pressure.  The 49ers were the best team in hurries and the second best team in pressures.  I don't see Brady having enough time for long-developing plays and the 49ers are pretty strong against dump offs.   
  • The 49ers offense is entirely dependent on establishing the run to step up play action...or just continue running.  The Bucs run defense is the team's biggest strength.  The 2019 Bucs had a better run defense than the 2020 team by YPC and they shut down the 49ers run game in week 1 (3 YPC).  The 49ers run game improved after they established mosert as the main guy but I still think this is definitely a win for the Bucs. 

I think turnovers is a wash.  Brady had a lot of turnovers this post-season and he'll face the best pass rush he's faced all year.  I expect him to throw 1 pick.  Inversely, Jimmy will probably only throw the ball 15 times.  He will probably throw one really dumb int.  

Based on this, I'd expect a low scoring game.  I give the 49ers a slight edge for two reasons.  

1) I think the 49ers defense is a tier above the Bucs defense.  I think eventually Kittle will cause one game-changing play and the run game will get better in the 2nd half.

2) I'm a homer.

didn't Brady have like 3 turnovers in 4 playoff games? That's not much especially when all 3 turnovers came in 1 half through throwaways, catchable passes gliding through Evans hands and miscommunications.

32 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

didn't Brady have like 3 turnovers in 4 playoff games? That's not much especially when all 3 turnovers came in 1 half through throwaways, catchable passes gliding through Evans hands and miscommunications.

I'd consider it a lot for a player of his caliber.  His int % (2.2) would be his highest regular season int % since 2011.  2.2 is his career average int % but that is a good amount higher than like Rodgers or Mahomes (his peers).  You can say it isn't really a lot and that is fair but I think there is a pretty strong argument to predict he'd throw an int considering he throws 5 picks every 6 games in his playoff career, he's out of his prime, and facing a monsterous pass defense.

I think it's pretty clear Arian's aggressiveness has led to Brady taking more risks than Patriots Brady more ints are a result of this aggressiveness.