Will the Eagles take a QB at #6?

TOUCAN

Shane Steichen helped Justin Herbert look like a million bucks last year after Herbert routinely underwhelmed at Oregon. 

May as well see if he can work some magic with Hurts.

As for drafting someone, they brought in Brian Johnson as QB coach, so there is a Trask connection. I don't think you take him top 10 though. 

If you can't find a guy in FA, see if you can grab a QB day 2 and let him and Hurts duke it out. 

If I'm Sirianni, I recognize this isn't going to be a quick fix and focus the next couple of years building up a team. If whatever QB I have isn't cutting it late 2021 or into pre-Draft 2022, it'll be apparent that QB is a need. 

Granted...if someone fantastic becomes available in the draft or FA, go for it. But short of that, nah. Hurts did well enough to see some extended action.

Hurts has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB (he's never going to be taller than 6'1" but he has the arm and the touch and the mobility)

He was not a first rounder because he showed a lot of inconsistency in college even though he put up huge numbers.

That's what coaching is for. I am fine with him learning until the bye week behind a vet like Foles or starting from week 1 and growing into the job.

You don't draft a guy this talented in round 2 and then just look for the next guy right away.

The plan was probably a Rodgers / Favre or Brady / Jimmy G situation but its hard to lock into Wentz at that salary level after what you saw in 2020.

• Wentz's cap number will be way lower for whoever picks him up.

Hurts has already shown enough flashes in the NFL to give him a real shot.

Unpopular opinion

Trade Hurts, draft Ja'Marr Chase, revive Wentz

If you still don't love Wentz, trade him next offseason for a better return.

I just don't think Hurts is Lamar or Watson or Kyler Murray. He's maybe Mariota

Just now, Tk3 said:

Unpopular opinion

Wentz isn't getting better there. Their cap and structure is a disaster and they can't put a better team around him short term.

His 2022 salary is fully guaranteed. They trade him now, they don't pay another dime and they start the hard reset on their cap. 

11 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Unpopular opinion

Not really a viable option anymore as Wentz does not want to be there. Sure, we could go against his wishes and force his hand, but that is such an ugly situation to put a new coaching regime into and is just asking for a toxic locker room.

I’m not particularly high on Hurts, but he’s worth giving a proper season to judge. The problem w/ QB at #6 is you’re getting the 4th QB off the board... now if that happens to be our #2 guy, then you probably pull trigger, but otherwise no need to reach. If Hurts is bad, you’ll have another top 6 pick in 2022.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Wentz isn't getting better there. Their cap and structure is a disaster and they can't put a better team around him short term.

His 2022 salary is fully guaranteed. They trade him now, they don't pay another dime and they start the hard reset on their cap. 

I mean.. every year the cap burden of trading him eases, and his trade value presumably gets better than it is today if you want to move on.

As for 2021 - am I incorrect that trading Wentz doesn't actually save them 2021 cap space? You're right that it frees them up in 2022, but it doesn't help them in the shorter term

I feel like I'd rather try to get through this impossible 2021 season (that they somehow actually will still be in division contention), then deal with the situation next offseason when the contract situation becomes much more flexible

3 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Not really a viable option anymore as Wentz does not want to be there. Sure, we could go against his wishes and force his hand, but that is such an ugly situation to put a new coaching regime into and is just asking for a toxic locker room.

I’m not particularly high on Hurts, but he’s worth giving a proper season to judge. The problem w/ QB at #6 is you’re getting the 4th QB off the board... now if that happens to be our #2 guy, then you probably pull trigger, but otherwise no need to reach. If Hurts is bad, you’ll have another top 6 pick in 2022.

I guess I'm not quite as up on his situation as I was on Watson, Stafford, etc

Would trading Hurts and making Wentz the bona fide starter not satisfy Wentz and improve the situation? or is it much, much worse than that/

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I mean.. every year the cap burden of trading him eases, and his trade value presumably gets better than it is today if you want to move on.

As for 2021 - am I incorrect that trading Wentz doesn't actually save them 2021 cap space? You're right that it frees them up in 2022, but it doesn't help them in the shorter term

I feel like I'd rather try to get through this impossible 2021 season (that they somehow actually will still be in division contention), then deal with the situation next offseason when the contract situation becomes much more flexible

But if he sucks in 21, you're stuck with him again in 22. His deal becomes osweiler like. If you think there's a good chance he sucks again in 21 on the eagles (there is) you can't cut him and he's lost all trade value. Then you've also paid him 47 million more in real money

1 minute ago, Forge said:

But if he sucks in 21, you're stuck with him again in 22. His deal becomes osweiler like. If you think there's a good chance he sucks again in 21 on the eagles (there is) you can't cut him and he's lost all trade value. 

I guess my gamble is that Wentz is still the better option over Hurts

19 hours ago, Counselor said:

Josh I think they will take a receiving weapon at 6 and try and give give Hurts as much support as they can as evaluate him this season.

I would hope they do but I am wondering if they wont because they have invested the past few drafts at receiver. They literally just used their 1st last year on one. Will they do it again this year? I have my doubts. We shall see though. It would be wise to surround Hurts with upgrades in talent but I can also see Howie convincing himself it was not the team especially when they came alive a bit with Hurts.

I can see defense at #6 but if they pass over Smith, Waddle or Chase sitting there.... sigh.