Barry it is.....

Leader

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Defenses are way more about developing players than coaching schemes. Defensive schemes are not complicated.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not like we're making a massive scheme guys, look at the history of Fangio. Spent his early years in NO, who was the DB coach there that whole time? Dom Capers. Got his first DC gig in Carolina, who was his HC? Dom Capers. Few years later he gets another DC gig in Houston, HC? Dom Capers. After some firings he gets a gig as a special assistant to the HC in Baltimore under Harbaugh, who's the DC he's under? Rex Ryan, OLBs coach? Mike Pettine.

He's developed some of his own wrinkles as he's aged and gained more responsibility in the last 10 years, but the roots of his scheme have a lot of the same core principles from our last two schemes. This isn't switching from McCarthy to LaFleur.

I understand that. Like I said I don’t think there will be any big changes, but I think we’ll see someone lower level come with Barry to help develop players 

Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit I’m not entirely thrilled with this hire and his past resume gives me some extreme pause for concern.

However, I’m going to give this coaching staff and front office the benefit of the doubt and hope that all of us who are digging up previous defensive rankings and schemes are all missing something that we can’t see from a google search or watching old tape of his previous jobs 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Honestly, I’ll be the first to admit I’m not entirely thrilled with this hire and his past resume gives me some extreme pause for concern.

However, I’m going to give this coaching staff and front office the benefit of the doubt and hope that all of us who are digging up previous defensive rankings and schemes are all missing something that we can’t see from a google search or watching old tape of his previous jobs 

Pretty much. Either spend the next 8 months ripping it apart based on the limited info we know, or embrace it and learn as much as possible for the Draft and FA onward. MLF has made some mistakes and is learning in some aspects of coaching and play calling, but he's no fool. And his people skills thus far have been spot on. He knows exactly what he wants to do and achieve on that side of the ball and will have his fingerprints on it. I'm not gonna bet against him. Plenty of time to complain later if it does fail, but Leonhard and the other applicants were no sure thing either. And Gute has some work to do on that side of the ball as well.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

I mean, LaFleur oversaw some pretty mediocre to worse offenses in Tennessee, so "track record" may not mean anything.  The most important part of a coordinator interview has to be "look at what we've got, what are you going to do with that, and what would you need to make this work?" which is something we have very little insight on from outside the building.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, LaFleur oversaw some pretty mediocre to worse offenses in Tennessee, so "track record" may not mean anything.  The most important part of a coordinator interview has to be "look at what we've got, what are you going to do with that, and what would you need to make this work?" which is something we have very little insight on from outside the building.

By offenses, do you mean one year with a **** QB?

17 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

By offenses, do you mean one year with a **** QB?

A.P. is correct.

Like Lafleur in Tennessee,  Barry's best player in Detroit was a Packer cast-off Paris Lennon. 

Further, coordinators like players, learn and develop with experience. I believe Matt Lafleur has earned the right to choose his defensive coordinator. 28 - 8 leaves me believing he knows a lot more than even the most knowledgeable of us posting here.

• Like 3

Rain, I agree with your thought, that game-planning and matchup-adjustments are significant.  

It's hard to get excited about Barry, I get that for sure.  I haven't read a single poster who is.  

But I think it's helpful to try to rationalize shockingly unexpected decisions.    It's always helpful to try to think through why decisions are made, but it's almost more helpful and challenging to do so for such a seemingly unlikely decision, and one that MLF absolutely knew would get nothing but fault-finding from the fan base.  Option one is that the decision-maker is an idiot.  Option two is that the decision-maker is NOT an idiot, and had reasonably logical reasons for making the decision, given what he knew at the time, even if the decision doesn't work out long-term.  

I'm not confident Barry will work out great, but I do trust that MLF isn't a total idiot, and that he put considerable thought into processing it.  Seems pretty evident that he took the "Paris Lennon" view, and judged that the Detroit/Washington stats reflected more about the players than the coaching.  Likewise seems pretty likely that whether he's a good coach or strategist, that Barry is probably a good communicator and interviews well, otherwise he'd likely not have gotten a coordinator job at age 35, and then another a few years later.  Based on input from others, and from the interviews, MLF must have perceive Barry as being reasonably smart (perception or misperception, too soon to tell...).  And I think MLF is pretty prioritized on coaches who are good communicators and who have good people skills, with both players and other coaches, so I'm guessing Barry was perceived to score well in those aspects.  

Will be interesting to hear Barry talk when he eventually comes in for press conference, and likewise to hear what MLF says about him.  Am sure, sure hoping that he ends up being a capable coordinator and decision-maker.  And likewise that he has the personnel to make the scheme used work.  

I'm not arguing that he'll be excellent, I have no idea.  But I do think it's at least plausible that he'll do a capable job, and that MLF had logical reasons to hire him despite his Detroit/Washington history.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

If we are running the Fangio scheme we should have just waited a year and hired actual Vic Fangio lol

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The guys you want to hire are guys were great coordinators/failed as head coach/available as coordinators. Todd Bowles and Wade Phillips epitomize this. This year the guy was Dan Quinn, but the Packers were still playing when Dallas hired him. Next year Fangio could be that guy. 

55 minutes ago, craig said:

Rain, I agree with your thought, that game-planning and matchup-adjustments are significant.  

It's hard to get excited about Barry, I get that for sure.  I haven't read a single poster who is.  

But I think it's helpful to try to rationalize shockingly unexpected decisions.    It's always helpful to try to think through why decisions are made, but it's almost more helpful and challenging to do so for such a seemingly unlikely decision, and one that MLF absolutely knew would get nothing but fault-finding from the fan base.  Option one is that the decision-maker is an idiot.  Option two is that the decision-maker is NOT an idiot, and had reasonably logical reasons for making the decision, given what he knew at the time, even if the decision doesn't work out long-term.  

I'm not confident Barry will work out great, but I do trust that MLF isn't a total idiot, and that he put considerable thought into processing it.  Seems pretty evident that he took the "Paris Lennon" view, and judged that the Detroit/Washington stats reflected more about the players than the coaching.  Likewise seems pretty likely that whether he's a good coach or strategist, that Barry is probably a good communicator and interviews well, otherwise he'd likely not have gotten a coordinator job at age 35, and then another a few years later.  Based on input from others, and from the interviews, MLF must have perceive Barry as being reasonably smart (perception or misperception, too soon to tell...).  And I think MLF is pretty prioritized on coaches who are good communicators and who have good people skills, with both players and other coaches, so I'm guessing Barry was perceived to score well in those aspects.  

Will be interesting to hear Barry talk when he eventually comes in for press conference, and likewise to hear what MLF says about him.  Am sure, sure hoping that he ends up being a capable coordinator and decision-maker.  And likewise that he has the personnel to make the scheme used work.  

I'm not arguing that he'll be excellent, I have no idea.  But I do think it's at least plausible that he'll do a capable job, and that MLF had logical reasons to hire him despite his Detroit/Washington history.  

This is an excellent post. MLF isn't going to make a decision based off of nepotism. It doesn't make sense for his career. There are reasons why LaFleur hired him, I don't know them but I know MLF knew what he wanted and asked specific, detailed questions and Barry must had the answers he wanted.

13 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I was kind of thinking the same thing. The guys you want to hire are guys were great coordinators/failed as head coach/available as coordinators. Todd Bowles and Wade Phillips epitomize this. This year the guy was Dan Quinn, but the Packers were still playing when Dallas hired him. Next year Fangio could be that guy. 

They should hire Wade as a senior consultant. 

• Like 1