Barry it is.....

Leader

I don’t view this as a defense of his performance as DC,  but more of some background/context. Some of it has already been mentioned.

For example, I didn’t know he was rolling with 5 UDFAs in 2008. The defense sucked before he arrived and after he left 

The offense during his time in DET was abysmal in time of possession.

The defense he inherited in WA was 29th before he arrived.

His first year in Washington the defense lost talent and still improved in pts and yards from  the year before he arrived. Albeit, not to a very high level 

- held opposing defenses under 20 pts 6 times.

- won a playoff game Vs the Cowboys, giving up 23 pts.

- The Washington defense got worse after he left.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Barry will definitely need a fluffer based on his resume.  But yeah, the optimist in me says it's his recent work with Staley and how that lines up with LaFleur's vision that got him the job.

In his defense, it's worth pointing out, as the article says, that the Redskins defense was worse in points per game both before he got there and after he left. He has the qualifications to be a decent DC. Whether he can take this defense to heights past what Pettine was able to do remains to be seen. But he will have more talent to work with than he's ever had as a DC.

Edited by Brat&Beer
Mind your own business.

After reading all of this stuff and fluff about Barry, let's just call him a bust at this time.  He's terrible.  Awful.  Nothing about him inspires any kind of confidence that he can get the job done.  Let's start the "Bury Barry" thread.  And hope, eh, pray that we can have a Crow Party.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

After reading all of this stuff and fluff about Barry, let's just call him a bust at this time.  He's terrible.  Awful.  Nothing about him inspires any kind of confidence that he can get the job done.  Let's start the "Bury Barry" thread.  And hope, eh, pray that we can have a Crow Party.

I’m trying to think of the last time a retread defensive coordinator with a questionable track record had a late-career revival?  I know it’s possible, and I’d really like to see that happen with Barry.

Anyone remember when the last time a defensive coordinator turned his career around after a few failed attempts, or would Barry potentially be a precedent setter? 

3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I’m trying to think of the last time a retread defensive coordinator with a questionable track record had a late-career revival?  I know it’s possible, and I’d really like to see that happen with Barry.

Anyone remember when the last time a defensive coordinator turned his career around after a few failed attempts, or would Barry potentially be a precedent setter? 

Todd Bowles, Dom Capers?, Leslie Frazier. I think you could get a long list of DC that went on and failed as a HC but then had success as a DC again. 

2 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Todd Bowles, Dom Capers?, Leslie Frazier. I think you could get a long list of DC that went on and failed as a HC but then had success as a DC again. 

For sure some guys have gone DC-HC-DC with some success back down as coordinators.  I’m wondering more about guys that have never risen to the HC level and have stayed at the coordinator level.  I happen to think it’s possible - I mean hell, Walt Disney failed dozens of times before he finally learned from his mistakes and hit paydirt.

I'd probably be able to convince myself that Barry got hired because he blew MLF away with an incredible interview and his detailed plans for what he would do with this GB defense,  But then I remember that Leonhard was the guy who did that, and Barry is not the guy MLF wanted.  Any way I look at it, this isn't the direction MLF wanted to go.

At any rate, this is the direction the team is head, so what is the defense missing that they'll need to actually run the Fangio scheme effectively?  Seems like more than one DL will be needed who is above JAG level.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'd probably be able to convince myself that Barry got hired because he blew MLF away with an incredible interview and his detailed plans for what he would do with this GB defense,  But then I remember that Leonhard was the guy who did that, and Barry is not the guy MLF wanted.  Any way I look at it, this isn't the direction MLF wanted to go.

At any rate, this is the direction the team is head, so what is the defense missing that they'll need to actually run the Fangio scheme effectively?  Seems like more than one DL will be needed who is above JAG level.

Gute talked about the need to upgrade the production at ILB. Kirk Olivadotti, the ILB coach was Barry's LB coach when Barry was the DC in Washington. So I would imagine they're having some in depth discussions about whether they currently have the LB's to make this defense go. 

• 3 weeks later...