Barry it is.....

Leader

37 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Most of the time I would take this as a bad thing, but in this is case.....is it? (Granted I don't agree that's even the case, but if it was the case I don't even agree that it's a bad thing). 

I mean I don't think it's even a secret. MLF wanted a DC who would run MLF's vision of how the defense should be operated. He kept the same exact staff, and just changed the guy in charge...a guy who will run the defense MLF wants to run. Not meant to be a bad or good thing. 

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean I don't think it's even a secret. MLF wanted a DC who would run MLF's vision of how the defense should be operated. He kept the same exact staff, and just changed the guy in charge...a guy who will run the defense MLF wants to run. Not meant to be a bad or good thing. 

? If the change was made so MFL can get the defense he wants run.....then I'd guess its meant to be a good thing no?

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Threw Gray a little promotion as well. 

Yep, and Steno a deserved "run game coordinator" title for the resume.  Barry could be terrible but I like a lot of our positional coaches, esp. Coach Smith and the veteran Gray.  

I'm surprised Barry didn't get to bring in one or two of his own guys. Thought there was a slight possibility of replacing our DL or ILB coaches.

Looking at the rest of our coaching hires, Dunn, Hood, Mahaffey and Zetts, what they all have in common is that all have coordinated at college level. Dunn is the only one with NFL experience, in fact he coached a position group for 2 years with the Jets so on paper he is an upgrade over our previous senior analyst. However looking more closely he was on the Bears 3-13 & 5-11 John Fox Bears staff, As coordinator coached UConn to 1-11 record and then joined the Jets under the disastrous Gase era ending with 2-14. Yuck! the jury is out on that one.

Dunn knows Dowell Loggains at NFL level with Chicago and the Jets. Loggains was Kyle Shanahan QB coach at Cleveland so I think in a roundabout way that's how LaFleur came across him. His background is on the offensive side of the ball so to see him labeled as a defensive analyst is surprising (I assume the Packers.com website guys made an error here). Our analyst last year on offence left to be the assistant OL coach with the 49ers so Dunn must be his direct replacement, not sure why we switched the analyst to the other side of the ball if that indeed turns out to be the case.

Hood and Zetts were on the same coaching staff at Davidson College in 2017. The same college Matt LaFleur's brother Mike coached as coordinator way back in 2013, it's a very flimsy connection but not impossible. What's slightly stronger is Zetts was briefly QB at Saginaw Valley State just like Matt LaFleur. However he was only there for 1 year but never played for them due to an ACL injury, afterwards he returned to Akron to begin his coaching career. Hood played football at Ashland (04-07) as cornerback who just so happened to have LaFleur as offensive coordinator in 2007. The little connections is showing up all over.

LaFleur knew Mahaffey from his time at Notre Dame. Fun fact: Detriot HC Dan Campbell coached Mahaffey for a brief time at Miami.

All of these guys are LaFleur hires. I don't think Barry brought a single one of his own guys to his coaching staff. I would've thought LaFleur would've at the very least let him hire his own quality control coach.

I have to wonder why the Packers front office or LaFleur badly wanted to retain the entire defensive staff. Maybe covid hit our finances harder than we thought and retaining the staff was necessary and ultimately required an experienced coordinator to slot in immediately to maintain continuity. I can see why Leonhard and Barry were offered the job with that perspective in mind.

However ponder this:

0-16 defensive coordinator is given a Senior Analyst from the 2-14 Jets who's background is on offence.

firefly+GIF-downsized_large.gif

Edited by Chili

I wasn't floored with his press conference but that doesn't really mean much.  He was pretty open about his resume but also highlighted all of the places he's found success.  As a DC, he's had anything but good results. I don't know how much leash you give him if things turn for the worse.  I know there are plenty of stones that get thrown at Pettine, but you can do worse.

I hope he has his own vision, but not bringing anyone else of note in for his staff, looks like a guy who is taking orders.  Kirk Olivadotti was his ILB coach for a while so I guess that can be one of "his guys".  I do like the position coaches we have on D, so maybe he simply agrees and thinks he can drive the truck better than Pet.

this dude seems like he's gonna be more of the same. "you guys need to understand" is such an awful expression and dude says it like every other question lol. "you guys need to understand base defense isn't played that much" oh really joe?!?! thank **** you're hear to spend 5 minutes explaining to us that nickel is primary D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys are being pretty hard on the guy before he even gets into a practice.  Give him a chance.

yes, I wrote hard on.  butthead.gif

Exactly.  The same staff (because the defense wasn't as bad as revisionist history would paint it) will do a credible job.  Yes, MLF wanted someone with his vision of the defense. What HC doesn't?

All Barry has to do is make the sensible call right before half so you don't give up an incredibly stupid TD pass with 0:01 seconds left.  Pettine wasn't terrible, it was his inability to adjust in the last two NFCCGs and the occasional brain fart.

8 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Exactly.  The same staff (because the defense wasn't as bad as revisionist history would paint it) will do a credible job.  Yes, MLF wanted someone with his vision of the defense. What HC doesn't?

All Barry has to do is make the sensible call right before half so you don't give up an incredibly stupid TD pass with 0:01 seconds left.  Pettine wasn't terrible, it was his inability to adjust in the last two NFCCGs and the occasional brain fart.

And I am not even saying that he will be better.  I'm just saying don't Dan Devine his dog before he even meets his players.  

• Like 4