Barry it is.....

Leader

On 3/3/2021 at 7:45 AM, ThatJerkDave said:

You guys are being pretty hard on the guy before he even gets into a practice.  Give him a chance.

yes, I wrote hard on.  butthead.gif

I wasn't fired up on Barry, and I know it dosen't mean much, but I actually thought he did good job in his first press conference. 

Barry came across as a nice, sincere guy.  Perhaps more in line with the profile of MLF's other coaches, kind of on the energetic, positive, upbeat kind of profile.  

Came across as reasonable.  Didn't come across as a noticably smart or insightful or creative or innovative.  Not to be unfair, I totally hope for the best. 

Also seemed to talk a lot.  Might have some risk that after a while, players might zone out and get into "here comes more blah-blah-blah" mode?  Not saying that will happen, just that it could be a risk.    

Think people are too hard on Barry.  He's got some interesting metrics buried among all the rough ones.  His defenses have finished in the top ten in turnovers twice in four years, and his WFT years had some nice performances mixed in with some less good ones.  I understand why he might be harder to get excited about than some other options, but feels like a little too much weight is going on the yardage metrics.  Wish I could get a sense of how he wants to use the personnel here, since that's what really matters, but we won't get that until Fall.

• Like 1

One optimistic take for me was his experience and respect for a variety of different systems.  He's seen what works, and maybe doesn't work, and which kinds of players can succeed, or fail, within some different systems.  

So the optimist in me suggests that he might be able to pull in the best of different systems?  or to some degree kinda switch things up for different matchups?  

Or anticipate what our existing personnel might NOT be able to do well, so avoid being too married to some system-philosophy that might not apply well to some of our guys?  

He was asked about Jaire playing the star position, and said he didn't know yet.  But he did note the potential value of having several guys with the capacity to play it, so that the offense doesn't know who's playing what.  

We understand the value of disguising and keeping the other side confused or guessing.  That's central to MLF's offensive philosophy.  But I don't recall Pettine talking about that a lot, or necessarily prioritizing it a ton?  He didn't blitz a lot; King and Jaire were normally and predicably the outside corners; so QB's knew who to attack?  Not sure Pettine called lots of stunts or stuff?  Seemed like Pettine was a strong believer in man up and let your front-four win.  There was some complaint that some of them were given too much lattitude; see Blake's comments about cleaning up after the OLB's?   

So maybe/perhaps Barry will be a little more prioritized on disguising things?  

• 4 months later...

Assuming we'll hear from our DC in the next day or two.  Aside from the soap opera, this is the real story of the off season. I still don't have any sense of the guy and KC gave him the most monotone of praise, but he's a bit like that about everything.   LaFleur owns this one so we'd better see a step up.  Lots of talent on that side of the ball and it will be interesting to see what makes the defense distinct from last year with all of the position coaches coming back.

I can’t shake the feeling that our defense is going to be our undoing again and that Barry will underachieve with the talent he has. You look at this D across the board and you probably wish you had a better DT next to Kenny, maybe a better ILB, but other than that there is more than enough talent here to field a top 10 D. I just get the feeling we won’t. Hope I’m wrong. I just wish I knew what it felt like to have an exciting hire at DC. 

a small snippet from another site:

Defensively, the Packers began to debut their three-safety look under new defensive coordinator Joe Barry. In the three-safety look, Vernon Scott, who was mostly a special teams player in 2020, came off the bench for slot corner Chandon Sullivan while starting safety Adrian Amos was tacked on in the box.