Barry it is.....

Leader

Just now, Isherwood said:

I can’t shake the feeling that our defense is going to be our undoing again and that Barry will underachieve with the talent he has. You look at this D across the board and you probably wish you had a better DT next to Kenny, maybe a better ILB, but other than that there is more than enough talent here to field a top 10 D. I just get the feeling we won’t. Hope I’m wrong. I just wish I knew what it felt like to have an exciting hire at DC. 

Yeah, I'm not overly excited about a retread who has never shown to be able to produce as a DC.  Maybe he's learned some along the way, maybe he's just needed more talent.  I think mainly I have been let down by sub standard defense so many times that I can't get my spirits up until I see something.  The modern NFL will favor the offense but if we could unlock a real defense for a season or two, look out!

So far, the only concrete thing to be said about Barry vs. Pettine is he’s more vocal and energetic.  Jaire laughed a bit about him demonstrating a tackle on air in the meeting room and I guess he was out running QB for some of the drills on field today. I like the hands on teaching approach, similar to LaFleur. Can he scheme it up and understand how to get into the right call in the flow of the game?  We won’t know that for a little while. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

So far, the only concrete thing to be said about Barry vs. Pettine is he’s more vocal and energetic.  Jaire laughed a bit about him demonstrating a tackle on air in the meeting room and I guess he was out running QB for some of the drills on field today. I like the hands on teaching approach, similar to LaFleur. Can he scheme it up and understand how to get into the right call in the flow of the game?  We won’t know that for a little while. 

Part of me wonders if Lafluer is going to have a certain control over the defense. 

So far, there have been some 3 safety looks with Scott and Black getting in the rotation opposite Savage and Amos going in the box.  Today they had a 3 OLB look with Rashan and Preston as the primaries and Garvin and Ramsey rotating in.  I guess Ramsey caught a leg injury, tbd how serious.  With Z out there will be some opportunities for young guys, especially in those preseason games.  I want to see what Barry is cooking up with some of these sets.

47 minutes ago, Refugee said:

So far, there have been some 3 safety looks with Scott and Black getting in the rotation opposite Savage and Amos going in the box.  

It's good to hear that Barry is willing to try some different approaches in pass defense. He needs to.

As it stands, he'll be regularly fielding three guys who are mediocre pass defenders, namely King, Sullivan and Barnes. All three were taken advantage of by opposing offenses last season. Without significant improvement from them, or some strategy to better protect them, it's not going to matter what else Barry does, the defense will still be in danger of yielding 30+ to the better passing attacks.  

The offense is going to be very, very good. The fate of the team rests on the defense, specifically Barry's ability to minimize the exposure of those players or effectively utilize other players in those roles. Maybe Stokes can leapfrog King, maybe Barry regularly gets Barnes off the field for Campbell or a safety. Maybe Savage takes more of Sullivan's snaps.

If Barry successfully addresses those problem areas, GB wins the SB. If he doesn't, they don't.  

11 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

It's good to hear that Barry is willing to try some different approaches in pass defense. He needs to.

As it stands, he'll be regularly fielding three guys who are mediocre pass defenders, namely King, Sullivan and Barnes. All three were taken advantage of by opposing offenses last season. Without significant improvement from them, or some strategy to better protect them, it's not going to matter what else Barry does, the defense will still be in danger of yielding 30+ to the better passing attacks.  

The offense is going to be very, very good. The fate of the team rests on the defense, specifically Barry's ability to minimize the exposure of those players or effectively utilize other players in those roles. Maybe Stokes can leapfrog King, maybe Barry regularly gets Barnes off the field for Campbell or a safety. Maybe Savage takes more of Sullivan's snaps.

If Barry successfully addresses those problem areas, GB wins the SB. If he doesn't, they don't.  

King will have a hard time holding off Stokes for very long. King is hurt now and you can almost count on him missing some games. Sullivan will be better or mostly replaced. Alexander and Savage may rotate in there some, and Jean-Charles is a natural for that position. Barnes talked today about taking off 10 pounds in the offseason, so that may help him. When there is 1 ILB on the field, it will likely be Campbell. 

3 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

King will have a hard time holding off Stokes for very long. King is hurt now and you can almost count on him missing some games. Sullivan will be better or mostly replaced. Alexander and Savage may rotate in there some, and Jean-Charles is a natural for that position. Barnes talked today about taking off 10 pounds in the offseason, so that may help him. When there is 1 ILB on the field, it will likely be Campbell. 

I think they brought in Campbell specifically for his plus coverage.  Barnes and Martin are still young so should improve in that area, but I agree, if there is just 1 LB it will be Campbell.  

For what it’s worth, the “star” which is really just the nickel has been Sullivan in practice so far. I’m sure they’ll do some switching and disguises, especially with the safeties, but Sullivan has not been replaced yet.

I don’t hate King as much as many but he’s got plenty to prove starting with availability.  If healthy, he can definitely help us get to where we want to be. A lot of young corners with a chance to take a big step. Teach the youth, Coach Gray!

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Still far from perfect, but through 5 games I prefer Barry to Pettine and one would think his background with Linebackers has contributed to the improvement there.

Overall, not bad, but I'd sure like to see GB tighten up in the red zone.  Just terrible.