Barry it is.....

Leader

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

He has nearly as many QBhits in the last 5 games (4) as he's ever had in a full season before (5).

He's playing noticeably better on the eye test and in the stats column.

Ditto on sacks (2 in last 3 games) with 3 his previous season high.

His last 4 have been quite good. Im not denying that. 

Im also aware that its been 4 games with either hurt starting RBs or teams who didnt really focus on the run so he's been able to pin his ears.

I have no idea why this defense seems to be playing MUCH better than under Pettine.  Is it really just a playcalling and preparation difference?

Given that the DL/pass rush looks worse than it had been under Pettine  Maybe the drop from Smith/Smith/Gary to Gary/Smith isn't as steep as we thought given the amount of times preston was dropping into coverage and how well Gary is playing.

Given that the CBs looks worse than it had been under Pettine considering the injuries, although stokes is looking better each week he's still getting called for a lot of penalties.

The safety group actually does look better to my eyes.

13 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I have no idea why this defense seems to be playing MUCH better than under Pettine.  Is it really just a playcalling and preparation difference?

Given that the DL/pass rush looks worse than it had been under Pettine  Maybe the drop from Smith/Smith/Gary to Gary/Smith isn't as steep as we thought given the amount of times preston was dropping into coverage and how well Gary is playing.

Given that the CBs looks worse than it had been under Pettine considering the injuries, although stokes is looking better each week he's still getting called for a lot of penalties.

The safety group actually does look better to my eyes.

They were still 23rd before this last game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Kind of sucks leadership made MLF keep Pettine.

When Aaron’s tenure is over I think we’re going to look at Ted keeping Capers for as long as he did as a major reason why we didn’t win another SB. 

Ted was great, but at the end he made a lot of terrible decisions..

Yeah, 2014 was the best defense since 2010, but they didn't have a killer instinct.

This defense does.

This defense with Rodgers and it's possible they win the Super Bowl in every year except for 2015.

2015 was a magical year, but it was just a magically fun year, that offense had no business getting even to the Championship game and  they were just pretending the whole year.

If there's one more significant in-season addition this year, a Super Bowl is extremely likely.

I’ve been impressed, mostly with their ability to stay on the road when a few of the tires have blown out.  The secondary still hanging in there has been great. We’ll see how we weather the storm with Kenny taking the hit. 

Remember first year Pettine many people, including our QB said “We have a defense.”  We’ll see if Barry can continue to adapt and how other teams scout his and our players’ tendencies. If we can get some pieces back, this unit could be good enough to get it done if the other units can play up to par. 

Edited by Refugee