Barry it is.....

Leader

On 11/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, Norm said:
On 11/14/2021 at 8:00 PM, Arthur Penske said:

Who was the former Washington fan who was in here so adament that he would suck?

Woz?

I did come in here and say I thought he was going to be a problem for you. I wasn't adamant he would suck. I didn't think he would do as well as he has done for you guys.

To be fair, you were trashing him at the time in your GDT. But I realized (albeit too late) that an outside voice saying "yeah, he's a problem" turned all the guns on me. *shrugs* Happens.

Congrats. I was wrong. Good luck to you all.

• Like 2

Just now, Woz said:

I did come in here and say I thought he was going to be a problem for you. I wasn't adamant he would suck. I didn't think he would do as well as he has done for you guys.

To be fair, you were trashing him at the time in your GDT. But I realized (albeit too late) that an outside voice saying "yeah, he's a problem" turned all the guns on me. *shrugs* Happens.

Lotta ball game left. But he's been pretty impressive so far. I wasn't high on him either coming into GB.

29 minutes ago, Woz said:

The real mad guy was a Rams fan iirc

21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

This is yet another reason why nobody likes Michael Rodney - because he's an insufferable, east coast negadelphian douchebag who has spent decades spewing his crappy takes. What a loser.

Will become part of my daily vernacular.

• Like 2

Interesting take on Joe Barry by Bootleg Football.

But first, a diversion. They (Kollmann and Snyder) are convinced that the main key for the Packers D playing so well is largely down to the Safeties and especially putting Savage in the 10-12 yds deep area where he can go forward or back (ie not 8 or less yds back playing in the box, or 20yds deep). E.J.Snyder also really wanted the Bears to get Savage in 2019 - he liked him a lot in the draft. Amos (they thought) was the perfect foil for Savage in this system. I had thought that the main reason for improved D play was the improvement at ILB, but this was an interesting alternative take to me.

Back to the main point, they talked about Joe Barry and his modest history (he never looked that good while at Washington as DC in 2015-2016). Their take was that the defense he brought to the Packers is a Fangio-type defense that he learned at the Rams under McVay (from 2017-2020). So, the defense he is running at the Packers is not like the one he was running at Washington................and the scheme is the other reason the Bootleg football guys thought was what made the D as good as it is.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

I'll go down with the ship, happily.  I maintain my stance that Barry stinks.

I don't care about analytics or numbers concerning this statement.  They do not impress me.

Our defense is getting lucky.

I will accept nothing to the contrary.  I will not waiver on this.  I cannot.  because it is working so far

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I'll go down with the ship, happily.  I maintain my stance that Barry stinks.

I don't care about analytics or numbers concerning this statement.  They do not impress me.

Our defense is getting lucky.

I will accept nothing to the contrary.  I will not waiver on this.  I cannot.  because it is working so far

And you want to be on record.....ahead of the curve so to speak.....as being strenuously against it when it ultimately fails.  👍

Joe Barry's defense is FAR outperforming my expectations, I'll say that much. But I'm not ready to crown them, since this team is many years beyond my caring what happens with the regular season. This team is Super Bowl or bust and they'll ultimately have to prove this is real in the postseason. 

• 1 month later...

So, here we are with the regular season in the books. Barry definitely exceeded his low expectations but can he bring it in the playoffs? So far, we have some very good defensive performances with some games where we couldn’t close the door in the end. A few games where we got beat up on the ground. 

In general, you have to tip your cap to Joe (and Gute) for making it work with injuries on the edge and in the secondary. His biggest challenge post season might be reincorporating some talented but rusty players into a playoff intensity D. 

Edited by Refugee

I've been trying to go through the coaches film of the season to get a sense of exactly what it is about the defense that's been better this year and what Barry is doing that has flipped the script.  I have accomplished like, half of three different games because my life has been basically a screeching alarm bell for most of the season, but I have to say I think if Barry is really doing anything it's getting his guys keyed up to play.  Nothing in their playcalls is particularly clever or designed; it's mostly just a lot of Cover-2/Cover-3 with the occasional pressure look.  He does a good job with personnel groupings and they show a lot of variability with the looks they show, but frankly I think a fair amount of the success this season is Gary and Preston showing out and Campbell being a big upgrade at ILB.  He's been impressive to me on film, he keys on his assignment so quickly and almost never misses the tackle, and that eliminates a lot of the easy yardage the Packers had struggled with in 2020.  Also I was wrong on Stokes, he's been superb for a rookie, the false steps and poor eye discipline are gone and he's so sticky without being grabby. 

To be clear this isn't really damning Barry, I think he's been a great DC pick for this group, it's more that I think he's just done a better job of letting his talent actually show out with simpler calls and more alignment variation.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

I reserve my right to cap tip this guy until there's a Vince on the shelf.

That’s a pretty expensive tip, would you at least give him a good natured nod if we at least get to the Bowl and D is not giving up any chunkers?