NFL Honors Discussion

Nick_gb

9 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

And that said, I also wouldn't have been the least bit upset if TJ won it

Like stated, I'm not upset with AD winning it.  More a little annoyed at the changing criteria.  And it's all voters for all awards in all sports.  One year one thing matters, next year a different thing matters.

And again like stated, I think if you are going off just pure best defensive player gets DPOY irregardless of stats, it's hands down AD year in and year out no argument at all.  He's always going to be top 3 consideration as long as he's in his prime.  Basically I want voters to decide is stats or impact more important and stick to it.

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Like stated, I'm not upset with AD winning it.  More a little annoyed at the changing criteria.  And it's all voters for all awards in all sports.  One year one thing matters, next year a different thing matters.

And again like stated, I think if you are going off just pure best defensive player gets DPOY irregardless of stats, it's hands down AD year in and year out no argument at all.  He's always going to be top 3 consideration as long as he's in his prime.  Basically I want voters to decide is stats or impact more important and stick to it.

Well, one thing was consistent the past two years: despite other candidates possibly being more deserving, they gave it to the candidate whose defense was number one in the league in both points and yards allowed

7 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Well, one thing was consistent the past two years: despite other candidates possibly being more deserving, they gave it to the candidate whose defense was number one in the league in both points and yards allowed

Touche.  If it comes out and that's their decision making it's kinda lazy to me.

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Touche.  If it comes out and that's their decision making it's kinda lazy to me.

Well I can see it used as a tiebreaker.

I've also seen a few different stats, but it looks like Donald has him in pressures and hurries by quite a bit. That changes the conversation a bit

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Well I can see it used as a tiebreaker.

I've also seen a few different stats, but it looks like Donald has him in pressures and hurries by quite a bit. That changes the conversation a bit

I just posted this in response to someone else showing those stats but:

EDIT:

Plus I'd be more ok if they used the tie breaker being that the difference between Donald and the next DT is much bigger than TJ and the next EDGE than what the team defensive ranking is.  Steelers were down to a 5th string ILB, a converted SS playing ILB, a rando named Mondeaux, and Justin Layne starting at some point, and the Steelers were highly rated before all of that.

Edited by warfelg

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Yea, and that one I showed the picture of wasn't even flagged.

In all honesty, to make sure my POV heere isn't misconstrued, I'm not saying that Aaron Donald wasn't deserving by an means.  He's gonna easily be a top 2 option every single year.  My issue is the inconsistency that Donald put up similar stats in 2019 with a similar impact, and wasn't good enough to get it; and Gilmore got it while not having a huge gap between him and the next best DB (Tre'Davious White).  Now Donald puts up the same stats in 2020, and in many ways TJ Watt grew the cap some between him and the next best all around edge player statistically and that doesn't matter.

Long story short either TJ Watt got snubbed by voters 2019 standards in 2020 or Aaron Donald got snubbed by voters 2020 standards in 2019.

I could go through games and show you dozens of that exact play on AD it really shows and means nothing. Watt is a very good defender but unfortunately for him he's living in prime AD. Just like other players had to suffer through not being top dog around JJ Watt and LT. Just like guys had to live through the Jerry Rice time. When he retired Isaac Bruce was #2 in most every receiving category yet you'd never know. Even worse for him he was in the same division and never got the All Pro recognition he should have gotten. It sucks but it's the reality and as long as AD is out there he's going to get a lot of votes every year for this award. 

If Watt had won it I'd think AD was a better player but Watt had played well and earned it. 

2 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I could go through games and show you dozens of that exact play on AD it really shows and means nothing. Watt is a very good defender but unfortunately for him he's living in prime AD. Just like other players had to suffer through not being top dog around JJ Watt and LT. Just like guys had to live through the Jerry Rice time. When he retired Isaac Bruce was #2 in most every receiving category yet you'd never know. Even worse for him he was in the same division and never got the All Pro recognition he should have gotten. It sucks but it's the reality and as long as AD is out there he's going to get a lot of votes every year for this award. 

If Watt had won it I'd think AD was a better player but Watt had played well and earned it. 

Thats.....thats what I've said and then it means last year he was robbed then.

I have been at it about Watt not getting DPoY over Donald, and if I'm being honest I don't think that Watt deserved it over him. To do what someone like Donald does at DT is ridiculous, and even if they're designing to stop him it doesn't seem like it matters.

Pittsburghs depth and talent at DL was a hinderance to Watts case quite honestly. It's one thing if you can do what he did when the line is deep and strong, it's another when you have to do the lion's share alone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I have been at it about Watt not getting DPoY over Donald, and if I'm being honest I don't think that Watt deserved it over him. To do what someone like Donald does at DT is ridiculous, and even if they're designing to stop him it doesn't seem like it matters.

Pittsburghs depth and talent at DL was a hinderance to Watts case quite honestly. It's one thing if you can do what he did when the line is deep and strong, it's another when you have to do the lion's share alone.

The crazy thing is that Staley lined up Donald at LE-RE and massive wide 9s on passing downs and his double team is still super high. He wasn’t always lined up at the 3 tech. He would come all over the place... 

Donald putting up the stats he did while getting double teamed 70%(!!!!) of the time on pass rushes is just insane and I don't think that can be overstated enough. Watt, for how great of a player he is, is surrounded by a lot of talent and gets 1v1's routinely. Donald gets double or triple teamed and still puts up madden-like stats.

5 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

It feels weird that I know he was a Bronco for a few years but I don't even think of him as a Bronco which is why I'm so surprised to see this

Same thing with Charles Woodson. Like dudes a Raider but the packer FB/IG was all over him lolz just weird tbh.