NFL Honors Discussion

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

And Watt gets this on 80% of his rushes:

EtmNbdxWgAAsSf-?format=jpg&name=large

AD also got held a lot and I think it was called maybe once all year. Guessing they called more than that in favor of TJ, which creates better pass rush situations.

I'd have been fine with TJ winning it but it says something that the Rams allowed less points and yards despite TJ having more talent around him than AD in the front 7, while having a QB who turned the ball 17 times vs Roethlisberger's 11.

28 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

AD also got held a lot and I think it was called maybe once all year. Guessing they called more than that in favor of TJ, which creates better pass rush situations.

I'd have been fine with TJ winning it but it says something that the Rams allowed less points and yards despite TJ having more talent around him than AD in the front 7, while having a QB who turned the ball 17 times vs Roethlisberger's 11.

Both teams had 16 holding calls in their benefit.  For the Steelers only 2 came against RT's, but without watching tape, hard to say if TJ was on the field for them or not.  For the Rams, 9 of those holdings came from OG/OC, again it's hard to say if AD was on the field or matched up against that IOL that committed the penalty.

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

LOL That's every play vs AD, only way they know how to do it. It's kind of like Shaq you could have called a foul every play somebody was "guarding him" same holds true for those "blocking" AD. 

Yea, and that one I showed the picture of wasn't even flagged.

In all honesty, to make sure my POV heere isn't misconstrued, I'm not saying that Aaron Donald wasn't deserving by an means.  He's gonna easily be a top 2 option every single year.  My issue is the inconsistency that Donald put up similar stats in 2019 with a similar impact, and wasn't good enough to get it; and Gilmore got it while not having a huge gap between him and the next best DB (Tre'Davious White).  Now Donald puts up the same stats in 2020, and in many ways TJ Watt grew the cap some between him and the next best all around edge player statistically and that doesn't matter.

Long story short either TJ Watt got snubbed by voters 2019 standards in 2020 or Aaron Donald got snubbed by voters 2020 standards in 2019.

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

In all honesty, to make sure my POV heere isn't misconstrued, I'm not saying that Aaron Donald wasn't deserving by an means.  He's gonna easily be a top 2 option every single year.  My issue is the inconsistency that Donald put up similar stats in 2019 with a similar impact, and wasn't good enough to get it; and Gilmore got it while not having a huge gap between him and the next best DB (Tre'Davious White).  Now Donald puts up the same stats in 2020, and in many ways TJ Watt grew the cap some between him and the next best all around edge player statistically and that doesn't matter.

Long story short either TJ Watt got snubbed by voters 2019 standards in 2020 or Aaron Donald got snubbed by voters 2020 standards in 2019.

Last year the Rams defense wasn't as good as it was this year.

I think you're ignoring that the Rams had more sacks from guys you've never heard of than they got from AD and Floyd. And even with that, it was by far Floyd's best season.

So you have the individual impact, which TJ had him beat.

But team impact - once you consider how average every other pass rusher is for the Rams - was in Donald's favor. From having the better defense statistically to AD freeing up Morgan Fox and Justin Hollins to get sacks

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

And that said, I also wouldn't have been the least bit upset if TJ won it

2 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Last year the Rams defense wasn't as good as it was this year.

I think you're ignoring that the Rams had more sacks from guys you've never heard of than they got from AD and Floyd. And even with that, it was by far Floyd's best season.

So you have the individual impact, which TJ had him beat.

But team impact - once you consider how average every other pass rusher is for the Rams - was in Donald's favor. From having the better defense statistically to AD freeing up Morgan Fox and Justin Hollins to get sacks

I'm not ignoring anything.  Just that there's an inconsistency from year to year in some of the criteria.