Jump to content

Calvin Johnson elected as first-ballot Hall of Famer


Recommended Posts

I'm glad to hear that Calvin and the Lions are on the road to reconciliation. I'm kind of shocked that he was a 1st ballot HOFer but hey, I'm not complaining. He's my 1a favourite Lions player (Stafford being 1b) as he was the first guy the Lions had drafted when I became a fan. 

I have zero issues with the Lions choosing to do that and I get why Calvin wouldn't expect to have them ask for it back. While they're legally entitled to, most teams choose to not to do that. A lot of teams waive the repayment of a bonus from their great players. Jim Irsay and the Colts let Andrew Luck walk away with $25M as a "thanks for all that you've done for us". 

My guess - they pay him back his bonus, he is hired as a team ambassador and they make a donation to his favourite charity of choice. It'll cost them a lot more than that $1M but it will be much more worth it to have arguably the only Lions HOFer in our recent history and likely for some time back on side of the organization. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm glad to hear that Calvin and the Lions are on the road to reconciliation. I'm kind of shocked that he was a 1st ballot HOFer but hey, I'm not complaining. He's my 1a favourite Lions player (Stafford being 1b) as he was the first guy the Lions had drafted when I became a fan. 

I have zero issues with the Lions choosing to do that and I get why Calvin wouldn't expect to have them ask for it back. While they're legally entitled to, most teams choose to not to do that. A lot of teams waive the repayment of a bonus from their great players. Jim Irsay and the Colts let Andrew Luck walk away with $25M as a "thanks for all that you've done for us". 

My guess - they pay him back his bonus, he is hired as a team ambassador and they make a donation to his favourite charity of choice. It'll cost them a lot more than that $1M but it will be much more worth it to have arguably the only Lions HOFer in our recent history and likely for some time back on side of the organization. 

hes my favorite all time lion as well. still wear my 81 hoodie. pay the man and bring him back if hes interested in any coaching. future WR coach???? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFL_Fan said:

hes my favorite all time lion as well. still wear my 81 hoodie. pay the man and bring him back if hes interested in any coaching. future WR coach???? 

I don't think he's proven he can be a WR coach yet but I'd have zero issues if they brought him in as an offensive assistant. I don't think he really wants to go the coaching route though. In his HOF interview he was talking about how he didn't really watch for 2 years because he was so busy doing the other stuff he wanted to do. He's likely just a team ambassador in a future role in the mold of a Herman Moore or Barry Sanders. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my biggest gripe with the Calvin situation is that it's believed that he never intended to play out that contract. If it was something sudden where he felt he couldn't do it anymore; sure, take off, and keep the bonus. It's almost like he wanted that big deal - and bonus - so he could walk after one year and keep it. I don't like that.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought it was crazy when people said Megatron was a borderline HOFer and not a 1st ballet guy. He was the clear best WR for a significant amount of time in an era designed for WRs to be elite. He was the elite of the elite. Sure he retired early but if Terrell Davis is a HOFer longevity doesn't factor in as much as some people think.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I always thought it was crazy when people said Megatron was a borderline HOFer and not a 1st ballet guy. He was the clear best WR for a significant amount of time in an era designed for WRs to be elite. He was the elite of the elite. Sure he retired early but if Terrell Davis is a HOFer longevity doesn't factor in as much as some people think.

Really good point. Hadn't considered that one before. 

It's just a shame that we had such a talented guy and couldn't have done more with him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A fallout with the best Lions player of his era over a million bucks is short sighted petty crap. The reconciliation attempts becoming public is also bad news. If the intent is to get CJ on board then make it happen and stop waffling.

Im surprised CJ made it first ballot. He was a great receiver but had a short career and was never part of a team that accomplished anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I don't think he's proven he can be a WR coach yet but I'd have zero issues if they brought him in as an offensive assistant. I don't think he really wants to go the coaching route though. In his HOF interview he was talking about how he didn't really watch for 2 years because he was so busy doing the other stuff he wanted to do. He's likely just a team ambassador in a future role in the mold of a Herman Moore or Barry Sanders. 

He’s got some pretty time consuming business interests.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Im surprised CJ made it first ballot. He was a great receiver but had a short career and was never part of a team that accomplished anything. 

I couldn't agree more.

And he made it over a guy like Reggie Wayne, who played for five more seasons and had 300ish more receptions, 3,000ish more receiving yards, one fewer touchdown than Calvin, and 21 postseason appearances. I just felt like Wayne should've been in.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I couldn't agree more.

And he made it over a guy like Reggie Wayne, who played for five more seasons and had 300ish more receptions, 3,000ish more receiving yards, one fewer touchdown than Calvin, and 21 postseason appearances. I just felt like Wayne should've been in.

The HOF has always been a head  scratcher to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I couldn't agree more.

And he made it over a guy like Reggie Wayne, who played for five more seasons and had 300ish more receptions, 3,000ish more receiving yards, one fewer touchdown than Calvin, and 21 postseason appearances. I just felt like Wayne should've been in.

I think it is important to remember Calvin's impact on the game of football when discussing his entry. Sure Reggie had more years playing and stats because if it, but Calvin caused defenses to have to cover him differently than any other receiver to play the game. He was hands down the best receiver during the years in which he played.. Those are the reasons he made it as a first ballot HOFer despite years played and stats accrued.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarryTheBest said:

I think it is important to remember Calvin's impact on the game of football when discussing his entry. Sure Reggie had more years playing and stats because if it, but Calvin caused defenses to have to cover him differently than any other receiver to play the game. He was hands down the best receiver during the years in which he played.. Those are the reasons he made it as a first ballot HOFer despite years played and stats accrued.

It's a fair argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, BarryTheBest said:

I think it is important to remember Calvin's impact on the game of football when discussing his entry. Sure Reggie had more years playing and stats because if it, but Calvin caused defenses to have to cover him differently than any other receiver to play the game. He was hands down the best receiver during the years in which he played.. Those are the reasons he made it as a first ballot HOFer despite years played and stats accrued.

You make some great points. I look at some of his underlying stats like a catch rate of 55.7%, 121st in yards per reception, only one season over 100 catches. Those aren’t negatively impacted by his short career. I’m also aware of his production while dealing with the QB carousel before Staffords arrival. 

I understand your point about defences having to change. They hadn’t seen a receiver that big, that could jump etc. Given his natural size advantage and being an athletic freak, it surprises me he only twice finished first in yards. Teams that had a good CB and played the safeties deep limited the damage.

He was an awesome receiver and his name is on the only Lions Jersey I ever purchased. It certainly doesn’t matter what I think but longevity is a part of the game. If a player plays one season should they be eligible on the first ballot? 2 years? 3? HOF worthy? Absolutely I just don’t see the first ballot. 

 

Edited by diehardlionfan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

You make some great points. I look at some of his underlying stats like a catch rate of 55.7%, 121st in yards per reception, only one season over 100 catches. Those aren’t negatively impacted by his short career. I’m also aware of his production while dealing with the QB carousel before Staffords arrival. 

I understand your point about defences having to change. They hadn’t seen a receiver that big, that could jump etc. Given his natural size advantage and being an athletic freak, it surprises me he only twice finished first in yards. Teams that had a good CB and played the safeties deep limited the damage.

He was an awesome receiver and his name is on the only Lions Jersey I ever purchased. It certainly doesn’t matter what I think but longevity is a part of the game. If a player plays one season should they be eligible on the first ballot? 2 years? 3? HOF worthy? Absolutely I just don’t see the first ballot. 

 

Good points here. I would agree that longevity is part of the equation, but it is not like Calvin played for just a few years. He was around for 9 years. But to answer your question, I do not really think there is any set amount of years someone would need to play. Terrell davis really only had three years of production and made it in. Not a first ballot player, but in none the less. At the end of the day, the folks who vote thought he was worthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...