Is there a growing bias against OCs who worked with elite QBs in HC hiring?

Apparition

A lot has been made about Eric Bieniemy, thought to be the big-ticket candidate for the last couple of years, not landing a HC job. Brian Daboll fits into this category as well.

I wonder how much of that might be linked back to the failures of other high-profile OC-to-HC hires who made names for themselves by working with elite QB talent. 

Dating back a little more than a decade, we've seen a string of OCs who worked with Tom Brady (McDaniels, O'Brien), Peyton Manning (Gase), Aaron Rodgers (Philbin), Drew Brees (Marrone) and Philip Rivers (Cameron) fall on their faces at their first head coaching opportunity (and more than that in a couple of cases). 

Meanwhile, the OCs who have received first-time HC opportunities in recent years, and been successful, have tended to be guys who have worked with 2nd and 3rd-tier QB talent (Shanahan, LaFleur, McVay, Stefanski, arguably Nagy). 

Pete Carmichael used to get floated as a potential HC frequently, but I haven’t seen that for a while.

I don’t know of any Saints fans that were scared to lose him, nor do I remember any of them ever thinking he’d be a good HC.

Edit: he also has a face custom built for falling flat onto.

k6etxufn4fqrhqzoj6nq.jpg

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

Bieniemy has 5 separate run ins with the law. (as a player in college / pros and as a college coach)

The media ignores this from their high pulpit of judgment (or in SI's case pretends it was 2 and minimizes 1 of them)

• He does not call the plays.
  • It is not his offense.
  • He should not be lumped in with anyone for any reason,.
  • He is his own very complicated thing.

McDaniels got 2 jobs even if he destroyed one of them and messed with future prospects.

Reich got a job after working with MVP-level Wentz and playoff magician Foles.

Shanahan got a job after MVP Ryan

LaFleur got a job shortly after working with the Rams top 5 offense of 2017

Arthur Smith got a job after King Henry 2K

Gase got 2 jobs a few years after 2013

Daboll got his first 2 interviews and was blocked from Philly because of timing.

The same thing has been true of the hot defensive guys outside of old washed up dudes Schwartz and Phillips

McDermott, Saleh, Quinn, Patricia, Flores

• Like 1

I think guys get hyped because of it. Outsiders who don’t have the ability to interview coaches or check their references lean on the only thing they have which is the performance of the unit they coached.

It gets even more ridiculous with position coaches. A team has a lot of good WRs. “Oh that receiver coach must be good.”

But yeah. KC has one of the most talented offenses ever. I think Andy Reid calls the plays. I think it’s very reasonable to to question why Bienemy is a must hire.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

McDaniels got 2 jobs even if he destroyed one of them and messed with future prospects.

Reich got a job after working with MVP-level Wentz and playoff magician Foles.

Shanahan got a job after MVP Ryan

LaFleur got a job shortly after working with the Rams top 5 offense of 2017

Arthur Smith got a job after King Henry 2K

None of these are in the same category as guys spending multiple years with Brady/Manning/Rodgers-tier QBs running the show. 

13 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Worth noting:

Matt LaFleur left the Rams OC job for the Titans OC job so he could call the plays and be more of a true OC.

Seems like the move Bienemy may need to take to get away from Reids shadow (if he wants to be a HC)

The problem is, we don't know why EB isn't getting these jobs. I don't think that it's all about playcalling...I mean, has Dan Campbell ever called plays? Sirianni? I don't think they have. There's more going on here all around. Its much bigger than just a single thing, I believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The problem is, we don't know why EB isn't getting these jobs. I don't think that it's all about playcalling...I mean, has Dan Campbell ever called plays? Sirianni? I don't think they have. There's more going on here all around. Its much bigger than just a single thing, I believe. 

Sure.

Another possibility is that he's not good at interviewing for these jobs.

Just pointing out that LaFleur made the right move to take a true OC job and if EB is looking for a path to being a HC, that is what I would do