Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I still fully believe in Mahomes's ability, so I'm not with you on this one (I mean he COULD, but I don't think he will).

That said, I mentioned this in the first half of the year and feel like it's been vindicated...

He is MIND-NUMBINGLY talented, and he's already so so so advanced as a quarterback, but he HAS to be open to getting together, because there's still room to grow. And it may be in the margins but it will be so important to his long term success. This season he looked relatively complacent to rest just on his pure talent to get by when he and the offense really had to.

He still needs to work on maintaining sound pocket mechanics, making his O-line work for him when they aren't blocking well, his movement WITHIN the pocket, manipulating it, etc. There are a few things he still absolutely needs to commit to working on if he's going to get the most out of his talent.

He probably also needs to develop as a leader and keeping the team focused, but he's still young and I have no reason to think that won't come.

None of this is meant as a slight to Mahomes. It's just pointing out that if he's going to fulfill his potential, he has some work to do.

Honestly yesterday was first time i seen Mahomes dejected and defeated mentally. I think his leadership is great honestly. Yesterday he was just completely dejected. Rest of the stuff you said i agree with though. 

Edited by Bearerofnews

2 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

It’s not as easy as leaving in their tight end to block because Kelce isn’t a blocker and they don’t really utilize anyone else at TE.

which is why Gronk remains the GOAT. Blocking is a part of a tight ends job. Kelce is more of a big receiver. 

How do you go into a game without your two starting tackles against two top 10 passrushers, and not have a backup plan in the very likely event your backups can't handle their assignments?  Pretty bad job by Reid IMO.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

How do you go into a game without your two starting tackles against two top 10 passrushers, and not have a backup plan in the very likely event your backups can't handle their assignments?  Pretty bad job by Reid IMO.

“Pretty bad job by Reid” used to be his playoff MO. 

4 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

“Pretty bad job by Reid” used to be his playoff MO. 

It probably still should be.  Even in last year's SB he made some baffling clock management decisions that were only mitigated by Shanny doing the same thing.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

It’s not as easy as leaving in their tight end to block because Kelce isn’t a blocker and they don’t really utilize anyone else at TE.

which is why Gronk remains the GOAT. Blocking is a part of a tight ends job. Kelce is more of a big receiver. 

They didn't have to leave Kelce in to block the entire time but could of easily went Jumbo with a 6th OL. Take one of the useless WR off the field? Anything was better then the Pop Warner type blocking Mahomes had last night.

The fact Reid didn't have a plan in place for that type of pressure against that DL is mind blowing to me. Yes, that was old school Andy type Stupidly. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

18 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Apparently his backup plan was to have his star QB with a bad toe run around like Russell Wilson all night long and hope he can beat the Bucs at backyard football for 50 minutes.

17 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Honestly yesterday was first time i seen Mahomes dejected and defeated mentally. I think his leadership is great honestly. Yesterday he was just completely dejected. Rest of the stuff you said i agree with though. 

I think his leadership is good, and ahead of where most 3rd year starters' would be, but I still think there's room to grow. I know a lot of people here take anything less than 100% enthusiastic all-in praise as a slight (not saying that's you, I'm just preparing myself for it), and that's not how I mean it at all. I don't think his leadership is bad, or somehow seriously lacking. I just think it can get better as he grows as a quarterback.

Chiefs pass block win rate (ESPN) was 67%. PBWR is an increasingly frequently cited metric, but if that doesn't prove how flawed it is I don't want what will. It's just never passed the smell test for me. For those who don't know, PBWR, and pass rush win rate, uses 2.5 seconds to separate a beat/pressure from a success/failure. All dropbacks, from a 5 step drop to a long developing play action, are given that same 2.5 second window.

3 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

So what was he yesterday? If Darnold or Trib had the game he had yesterday... you'd call it terrible.

I suppose they would have been sacked about 15 times more and probably score even fewer than 9 points.  

Not including 2 dropped endzone passes that he basically gets counted negative for (since he was terrible with 0 TD's).

Change his stats to 2 tds caught, is he still terrible or just a bad game from everyone but did okay.

The whole team was off.  Mahomes was the only one doing anything.  Not a lot, but yeah, even Kelce was pretty bad.

Edited by Zalixar

7 minutes ago, Zalixar said:

I suppose they would have been sacked about 15 times more and probably score even fewer than 9 points.  

Not including 2 dropped endzone passes that he basically gets counted negative for (since he was terrible with 0 TD's).

Change his stats to 2 tds caught, is he still terrible or just a bad game from everyone but did okay.

The whole team was off.  Mahomes was the only one doing anything.  Not a lot, but yeah, even Kelce was pretty bad.

You can do this for any qb. Dropped tds/dropped ints.... when looking at the end result.. Mahomes was terrible. Would those qbs of held the ball as long. Mahomes had some pretty looking incompletions. But they were mainly heaves & prayers that happened to be catchable to some extent. 

Instead of running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.... gotta learn to just climb the pocket and make the subtle movements to gain additional blocking leverage.

It was as bad of a game as we've seen in the SB in along time.

Edited by Bearerofnews
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

You can do this for any qb. Dropped tds/dropped ints.... when looking at the end result.. Mahomes was terrible. Would those qbs of held the ball as long. Mahomes had some pretty looking incompletions. But they were mainly heaves & prayers that happened to be catchable to some extent. 

Instead of running around like a chicken with it's cut off.... gotta learn to just climb the pocket and make the subtle movements to gain additional blocking leverage.

It was as bad of a game as we've seen in the SB in along time.

Looking at the game, looking at the end result.

Everyone was terrible. People just want to criticize who they want.

Kelce was terrible.  HB was terrible.  Reid was terrible.  Every other coach was terrible.  Offensive line was atrocious.  Defense as a whole was terrible. 

Only person who played well was Butker.

It was a bad day to have a bad day.  Pretty sure "other qb's" would have been much worse in the same situation (injury, etc).

Edited by Zalixar
  • Like 1