Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

That’s kind of a strawman though. I don’t think I’ve ever heard refer to 07 as a choke at all in all honesty. The Giants defense was just dominant and got pressure with 4. A lot of talk goes back to that defense. 

If you can’t remember people calling the Pats and Brady especially chokers after that game, idk man....it was everywhere they way I remember.

And I don’t remember anyone outside of some Pats fans talking about the OL getting dominated and Brady’s high ankle sprain as an excuse for the loss.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

That’s kind of a strawman though. I don’t think I’ve ever heard refer to 07 as a choke at all in all honesty. The Giants defense was just dominant and got pressure with 4. A lot of talk goes back to that defense. 

Rightly or wrongly, it was considered a massive choke. An 18-0 team lost to a 10-6 team. 12 point favorites. 3 time Champ Tom Brady against Eli Manning, a guy who lived in his brothers shadow. Belichick vs. the coach fans once wanted fired. 

• Like 3

Brady in the SB 42 was kind of like Mahomes from SB 55. Just constant pressure from the front 4. Brady had a high ankle sprain and couldn't move the pocket like usual and was a sitting duck. McDaniels didn't adjust until it was too late. Brady was moving the ball at the end going short to Faulk and Welker. McDaniels thought it was a good idea to just keep trying to make deep shots to Moss, Gaffney, and Stallworth work for 3.5 quarters though.

Edited by LieutenantGains
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

Didn’t someone just post some stats a few pages back about time to pressure and it not being faster than the league average or something?

Mahomes is the best QB in the league and will be back for sure, but the “it was everyone else’s fault” barrage since halftime last night has gotten to nauseating levels

Image result for preach gif

Cool to see the thread turn from full troll mode to good discussion about the game finally. 👏

2 things really stand out for me (from the Chiefs perspective) is 1. 92% of the time having the 5 lineman with no extra help, that's just bad adjustment (no adjustment), Wylie (RT) especially, was getting absolutely wrecked the second the ball was snapped. 

2. I don't recall much motion at all, I don't remember a single Jet sweep, I think only one designed rollout which we used against Buffalo often that had some very good success, maybe with his turf toe they didn't want that in but he ran for close to 500 yards regardless lol. Just seemed like Andy just kinda of took his hands off the wheel thinking Patty was gonna do Patty things regardless of what was happening. 

All in all Todd Bowles had an excellent game plan coupled with our patchwork oline and the goat on the other side. What do ya do. Might even be good for us in the long term, I mentioned it weeks ago  in the Chiefs forum but Patty and the boys had a lot of success as soon as he became starter and I wondered if everyone was just expecting the win every game they were a participant in. Maybe getting their *** kicked on the biggest stage will remind everyone that they still have to do their job and produce and not wait for Pat to do Pat things. 

Again, Congrats to the Bucs. Well earned victory. Maybe both squads can make it back again next year 🤷😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

If you can’t remember people calling the Pats and Brady especially chokers after that game, idk man....it was everywhere they way I remember.

And I don’t remember anyone outside of some Pats fans talking about the OL getting dominated and Brady’s high ankle sprain as an excuse for the loss.

The offense was fine until Stephen Neal got injured; what a surprise, an in-game offensive line injury and the line collapsed as a result.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:51 PM, Forge said:

This boggles my mind. Andy...dude...you have to adjust at some point

Why isn't Eric Bieniemy saying anything either? I heard a lot about how it's a joint playcalling effort and how Bieniemy provides the gameplan...

Either he doesn't... or he didn't feel an adjustment was necessary either.

(He's still better than David Culley, I'd imagine).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

First paragraph not even gonna address because just filled with same cliches and statements. So gonna leave that there. 

Hm. Strong argument there, thanks for the insight. 

Youre looking at it on one side. First off the Chiefs don’t really have a blocking TE and you don’t wanna put Kelce there occasionally because it limits your options in the passing game. And Tyreek was getting doubled regardless. They tried the quick game and the Bucs shut it down. Again you make it seem as if Mahomes was just holding the ball for long and they were looking for big plays which is false. Again it’s easy to sit there in your armchair to say what you are saying.

- You don’t need a blocking TE in order to not leave your 5 starters by themselves in pass pro, for the third most numbers of snaps in a five year span, against a better defense, with injuries on your OL. But focus on Kelce, lol.

- Tyreek gets doubled in a majority of games they play in. 

- They tried the quick pass game for a short time and abandoned it. 

- “You make it seem as if...”, so basically, forget what I actually said and now I just say whatever you say I did? Lol.

- Of course it’s easy for me to sit here and critique. I’m not an NFL coach. Does that change anything, or any of the facts laid out? Nope. 

The Chiefs were down and couldn’t afford to keep running the ball. They tried. Sometimes a quick passing game is a substitute for a run game. Now could they have run the ball a bit more? Sure. But wouldn’t have made a notable difference because at some point they would have needed to have gotten in a rhythm to complete some passes and they couldn’t do that

- The Chiefs went down 14-3 over halfway through the second quarter. Even then at that point, no reason for the run game to be so underutilized (understandable in the second half). They came in wanting to throw the ball and that’s what they did. 

- Did you actually just say running the ball wouldn’t have mattered because at some point they’d have to pass? LOL. 

First drive: 4 passes, 2 scrambles, punt, 0-0. 

Second drive: 4 passes, 4 rushes, FG, 3-0.

Third drive: 3 passes, punt, 3-7.

Fourth drive: 3 passes, 1 rush, punt, 3-7.

Fifth drive: 7 passes, 1 rush, 1 scramble, FG, 6-14. 

They came in wanting to pass, they did. 

As for Mahomes comments lol (which btw I haven’t found quotes anywhere for full context)  that really isn’t saying anything if you don’t have the context of what their offenses consists of. Because contrary to popular belief, they’re not some offense that just throws the ball downfield all game. They’re actually great at those long drives. Mahomes and Chiefs offense statistically was the best in the league in that aspect. the Bucs shut down anything the chiefs tried to do. That’s what you’re not understanding. The Bucs could get pressure with 4 and they were doubling Tyreek and werent able to get the ball to their other weapons. You can’t just consistently alter the protection like that because it cripples the offense and it’s flow. 

You can’t alter the protection because it cripples the offense? What would you call that offense the other night? Walking on both legs? It was already crippled. There’s no excuse for the protection to be left as much as they did. Say what you’d like about how less receiving options would’ve hurt more than the pass protection, but there’s no excuse for that to be the game plan. It’s a bad plan. 

The “contrary to belief” bit is irrelevant, everyone knows the Chiefs are good at sustaining drives. Couldn’t care less about what other people are saying or what they believe, within the realm of this discussion. 

like I said I’m gonna trust the coaches and their thinking behind their decisions strategically over yours that for damn sure when we as fans get to play the results. So yeah, good luck with that.

And finally - the appeal. GMs, coaches, and players make bad decisions daily. Keep appealing to them, though. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why isn't Eric Bieniemy saying anything either? I heard a lot about how it's a joint playcalling effort and how Bieniemy provides the gameplan...

Either he doesn't... or he didn't feel an adjustment was necessary either.

(He's still better than David Culley, I'd imagine).

I'm gonna say this as someone who would like to see EB succeed in the league and eventually getting a HC job BUT EB is just the middle man between Andy and Patty in game. I really don't think he has much input at all during the games.

For the take that you can't change protections without crippling KC's O - I have 3 comments:

1.  Thinking that changing 3 positions on the OL with 1 injury at 1 position, and thinking that's going to work without any type of backup plan, is even more questionable.

2.  With 2 weeks, there's more than enough time to get in 12 / 2-TE & 3-WR work.

3.   There's no reason to have 4 TE's on the roster like KC did if the above is the case.

Put simply - Reid did an uncharacteristically horrible job of pre-game prep.   That's where he shines.   He didn't this time.

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'm gonna say this as someone who would like to see EB succeed in the league and eventually getting a HC job BUT EB is just the middle man between Andy and Patty in game. I really don't think he has much input at all during the games.

I'd still take him over Culley...

• Like 2