Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Like I’ve mentioned at least twice, that 92% stat is misleading and doesn’t account for chipping the ends (which they were doing throughout). And it assumes, based on the outcome of the game, that the Chiefs just left their o-line to deal with 5-7 step drops all game long . It doesn’t account for the quick pass attempts, the screens, the completions he made etc. That’s why the criticism is “uninformed”. Funny how stats work doesn’t it. Clock management is not the topic at hand btw. 

Those quick pass attempts were by halftime.

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Like I’ve mentioned at least twice, that 92% stat is misleading and doesn’t account for chipping the ends (which they were doing throughout). And it assumes, based on the outcome of the game, that the Chiefs just left their o-line to deal with 5-7 step drops all game long . It doesn’t account for the quick pass attempts, the screens, the completions he made etc. That’s why the criticism is “uninformed”. Funny how stats work doesn’t it. Clock management is not the topic at hand btw. 

You're right that it doesn't account for chip blocks, but it is still the third-highest rate in a game since 2016 using that criteria. And so again, questioning that strategy is not cliched. Especially since there seemed to be practically no halftime adjustments to the pass rush or TB playing 2 deep. 

The mention of clock management was related to criticism of Andy Reid's big-game coaching ability that far predated this game. Try to keep up.

Edited by childofpudding

23 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

You're right that it doesn't account for chip blocks, but it is still the third-highest rate in a game since 2016 using that criteria. And so again, questioning that strategy is not cliched.

“I acknowledge the context but still context still doesn’t really matter”. Basically what you just said. Once you acknowledge that context then that stat you’re highlighting is meaningless. 

27 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

And so again, questioning that strategy is not cliched. Especially since there seemed to be practically no halftime adjustments to the pass rush or TB playing 2 deep.

What makes you think there weren’t any? Because supposedly once you try to adjust things automatically start clicking? Or can the defense not offer resistance to that “adjustment”? Adjustments sound good in theory, executing is a different story. 

30 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

The mention of clock management was related to criticism of Andy Reid's big-game coaching ability that far predated this game. Try to keep up.

Again nothing to do with my point. Rather an irrelevant point. But keep beating that drum.

42 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

“I acknowledge the context but still context still doesn’t really matter”. Basically what you just said. Once you acknowledge that context then that stat you’re highlighting is meaningless. 

What makes you think there weren’t any? Because supposedly once you try to adjust things automatically start clicking? Or can the defense not offer resistance to that “adjustment”? Adjustments sound good in theory, executing is a different story. 

Again nothing to do with my point. Rather an irrelevant point. But keep beating that drum.

Even accepting the context, they didn't provide enough help for the OL. And you were wrong when you said they had chip blocks "throughout." Here's Richard Sherman saying that the Chiefs' gameplan on offense was subpar and they didn't chip enough.

The Chiefs were thoroughly outcoached, and the discussion about Reid's performance, whether it be gameplan, in-game adjustments or clock management play calling, is absolutely relevant to the discussion. As to your point, I don't even know what it is except crying about other people analyzing the game without providing substantial analysis yourself. By contrast, Jakuvious engaged on the topic and wrote a great post that actually made good points.
Edited by childofpudding

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Even accepting the context, they didn't provide enough help for the OL. And you were wrong when you said they had chip blocks "throughout." Here's Richard Sherman saying that the Chiefs' gameplan on offense was subpar and they didn't chip enough.

Im not wrong. Ive watched every single chiefs offensive snap in that game and they chipped pretty much throughout and when they weren’t chipping the ball was out quick. Sherman literally just said they didn’t chip when the game says otherwise. That’s what your citing as your source lol. Do me and yourself a favour, go and watch every single chiefs offensive snap again. 

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

The Chiefs were thoroughly outcoached, and the discussion about Reid's performance, whether it be gameplan, in-game adjustments or clock management play calling, is absolutely relevant to the discussion. As to your point, I don't even know what it is except crying about other people analyzing the game without providing substantial analysis yourself. By contrast, Jakuvious engaged on the topic and wrote a great post that actually made good points.

lol whatever man, keep repeating the same ish. Jakuvious literally echoed the majority of the points I was making. You just don’t like how I’m delivering my points. 

The consistent pressure out of four-man fronts and the Buccaneers’ ability to sit in their nebulous 2-high shell defensively contributed to what I felt was the most fascinating development of the game. It almost lured the Chiefs into believing they could continue squeaking by with five-man protection. Indeed, Andy Reid did little to alter his protection plan at halftime, despite how defeated both tackles appeared by then.”

After taking a spin through the second half, I counted every time the Chiefs used anything to negate the rush (exotic backfield motion, a running back staying in to chip, tight end blocking help or wide receiver chip blocking) and found five wide receiver chips in total, one running back chip and one instance of an additional tight end staying in to block (oddly, most of the time backup tight end Nick Keizer was in, he was running routes). The Chiefs used three intriguing backfield motion concepts but all on one series early in the second half before abandoning them altogether.”

From this SI article. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The consistent pressure out of four-man fronts and the Buccaneers’ ability to sit in their nebulous 2-high shell defensively contributed to what I felt was the most fascinating development of the game. It almost lured the Chiefs into believing they could continue squeaking by with five-man protection. Indeed, Andy Reid did little to alter his protection plan at halftime, despite how defeated both tackles appeared by then.”

After taking a spin through the second half, I counted every time the Chiefs used anything to negate the rush (exotic backfield motion, a running back staying in to chip, tight end blocking help or wide receiver chip blocking) and found five wide receiver chips in total, one running back chip and one instance of an additional tight end staying in to block (oddly, most of the time backup tight end Nick Keizer was in, he was running routes). The Chiefs used three intriguing backfield motion concepts but all on one series early in the second half before abandoning them altogether.”

From this SI article. 

Reid called the worst game he's called in years from a strategy, adjustment, fundamental, and spur of the moment standpoint. The situation with his kid obviously screwed him over mentally going into the game. He's had past trauma with his other kid dying from a drug overdose, I don't think he was ready for this one to ruin his life drunk driving and maybe kill a little girl in the process, right before the super bowl.

Just the phrasing of Mahomes response to a question about Reid made it obvious that something was "off" with Reid in this game. Mahomes response was something like "he seemed like the same coach Reid to me" but it was an obvious lie to cover for his coach.

• Like 1