Better Bucs Defensive Super Bowl Performance

biggie.

2002 Bucs defense was a single minded monster, 11 guys on the same word of the same sentence on the same page of the same book. Took two HoF WRs and an MVP QB completely out of the game.

Maybe I'll think 2020 TB one day, but not today.

• Like 4

Without context, it's the 2002 Buccaneers. They destroyed the Raiders.

However, with context... Gruden knew everything the Raiders were going to run, and basically knew the plays being called before they were called, he was even calling them out in mic'd up highlights.

I'll have to say the 2020 Buccaneers.... but it's a great debate and there is no wrong answer here.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

2002 Bucs defense was a single minded monster, 11 guys on the same word of the same sentence on the same page of the same book. Took two HoF WRs and an MVP QB completely out of the game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5224958

I think the 2002 Bucs D is no question better, it was consistent dominance over an entire season. Bucs D was sporadic this year, but certainly shined when it mattered most (2nd half of CC and SB).

However, I think 2020 was the better performance. They held the Mahomes Chiefs to 9 points, the lowest they'd ever been held to. A Chiefs offense that put up 38 points and made it look easy in the AFCC just a few weeks ago. A Chiefs offense that has averaged 31.9 PPG since 2018 in the 52 games Mahomes started. That's not to say those 02 Raiders were weak on O, that was a very good O too that the Bucs embarrassed, but it really doesn't compare to this Chiefs juggernaut of an offense. 

Mahomes torched the Bills on that same foot and looked fine doing it. I won't say he was at 100%, but he was still a top tier QB. Give him a full offseason to rest those feet and he's still not escaping the pressure TB was getting with 4. I'm also not going to take away too much from the Bucs defensive performance for going up against a battered OL when the Chiefs beat them w/ 4 of those same 5 OL starting in their midseason matchup (granted they were also lined up a bit different, this was a makeshift line to be certain... but for example the Eagles had different OLs nearly every week this season, were playing backups' backups, and never looked that bad). I think the Bucs front along with KC's blocking schematics and gameplan had as much to do than any pure lack of talent with what we saw. 

Edited by RandyMossIsBoss

23 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

Seahawks in 2013 will never be matched sorry. 

Idk about that. Yeah Seattle was great but a lot of it was self-inflicted by Denver. The first play of the game was a botched snap for a safety. 

I wouldn’t say it’s clearly a better defensive performance than the 2002 Bucs, 2007 Giants, 2015 Broncos or the Bucs this year. 

Edited by Bolts223

10 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

Idk about that. Yeah Seattle was great but a lot of it was self-inflicted by Denver. The first play of the game was a botched snap for a safety. 

I wouldn’t say it’s clearly a better defensive performance than the 2002 Bucs, 2007 Giants, 2015 Broncos or the Bucs this year. 

Agree with all of those as more impressive than the Seahawks. You should also add 2000 Ravens which defense allowed 0 points, 152 total yards, had 5 takeaways and 1 defensive score. 

For the Bucs, I'd say 2002 slightly ahead of Sunday's display. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Had KC's OL been intact would this year's game been a blowout?  We'll never know...

• Like 1