Post Super Bowl Mock

squire12

25 minutes ago, Joe said:

The only way he isn't back in time for the start of the regular season is if rehab is a complete disaster IMHO. I too think Jenkins can be long-term at either Tackle positions, but you did a good job grabbing a potential swing Tackle in the 4th.

I don't think Bakhtiari misses games.  ACL for an lineman vs skill position is very different.  

Hutchinson is listed as IOL, but has experience at OT at South Carolina.   I would give him reps at RT at go from there.

I agree with your first half and think the second half is why I have a problem with your second pick. I have nothing against the player, but we have proven time and again that we can hit on a solid, if not spectacular Center, in the later rounds. I would've went CB or RB there if the value presents itself.

Fair on the CB.  RB it feels like later round will be fine.  Also might be some cheap options at RB in the later FA, post draft FA market.  

Premise was moving Jenkins to RT, so getting a higher profile Center made sense.

The same could really be said about Jamaal Williams as well. He knows this system, he'll be relatively cheap, and he balled out when needed last year and the year before as well.

Agreed that RB might be a cheaper add later

---

As for the mock itself, and outside the second pick, this is easily the best mock I've seen on this board. You address IDL twice - the Brown pick is a sleeper as I think he's more than a run stuffer and his athleticism suggests that. You pick up a guy who could be a swing tackle right before that, you draft a long-term replacement at Safety that, if he doesn't develop, can easily be replaced without creating a hole at the position. Day 3 is a list of HR's in my opinion outside of those previously mentioned because you've got your developmental type players who can contribute on ST's at least immediately and several players who could be upgrades over previous Day 3 picks given their strengths.

Bravo!

Thanks.  

Honest Assessment: I'm not a big fan.

-I like that you tried to take Kevin King's salary and spread it out over two CBs. It feels like you worked really hard to free up money that was spent replacing a starter with two backups, but having a full DB room makes a lot of sense.

-Your logic on balancing the OL. Moving Turner outside seems like the most logical way to free up dollars, because it allows you to release Wagner and keep promising rookies on the inside.

Dislikes

-Replacing King with Dennard and Johnson feels a like you're replacing a starter with two backups. Are Dennard and Johnson noticeably better than Hollman and Josh Jackson?

-Roy Roberson Harris is a great add, but the contract you gave him is wildly different from Spotrac's "Market Value" feature, which has him at 3 years/$24M.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/roy-robertson-harris-19399/market-value/ 

-I understand your logic on balancing the OL out by moving Turner to RT, but it's really hard for me to stomach spending a 2nd round pick on a guy who doesn't project to start and plays behind a really good (and cheap) option in Jenkins. You did say that's how the board fell though, so it might be your best option.

2 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Honest Assessment: I'm not a big fan.

-I like that you tried to take Kevin King's salary and spread it out over two CBs. It feels like you worked really hard to free up money that was spent replacing a starter with two backups, but having a full DB room makes a lot of sense.

-Your logic on balancing the OL. Moving Turner outside seems like the most logical way to free up dollars, because it allows you to release Wagner and keep promising rookies on the inside.

Dislikes

-Replacing King with Dennard and Johnson feels a like you're replacing a starter with two backups. Are Dennard and Johnson noticeably better than Hollman and Josh Jackson?

as of now, we have no idea what Jackson or Hollman are.  SO yes, I think Dennard and Johnson would be better options.

-Roy Roberson Harris is a great add, but the contract you gave him is wildly different from Spotrac's "Market Value" feature, which has him at 3 years/$24M.  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/roy-robertson-harris-19399/market-value/ 

The premise on this is the cap is going to be around $180-185M.  That means that most FA are not going to find the lucrative deals and the hope is some players will come to GB with a shot to compete for a playoff team and super bowl contender.  

-I understand your logic on balancing the OL out by moving Turner to RT, but it's really hard for me to stomach spending a 2nd round pick on a guy who doesn't project to start and plays behind a really good (and cheap) option in Jenkins. You did say that's how the board fell though, so it might be your best option.

If Bahktiari is healthy  .....   Bahktiari - Jenkins - Meyers - Patrick -  Turner   

If Bahktiari is not healthy to start the season ........   Turner/Jenkins - Runyan -  Meyers - Patrick - Turner/Jenkins

Long term, I think Jenkins has a chance to play OT and would like to see him get some more reps there to assess that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Just off gut feeling, Spotrac's projection seems a bit high.  $8M/year puts him among the highest paid non-elite DE in 3-4 defense.  Henry Anderson got $8.4M/year for 3 years coming off a 7 sack season.  I think he's closer to what Dean Lowry got at 3 years, $24M as his high point and the structure will be largely backloaded IMO.  I think he could be a real value FA addition.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Just off gut feeling, Spotrac's projection seems a bit high.  $8M/year puts him among the highest paid non-elite DE in 3-4 defense.  Henry Anderson got $8.4M/year for 3 years coming off a 7 sack season.  I think he's closer to what Dean Lowry got at 3 years, $24M as his high point and the structure will be largely backloaded IMO.  I think he could be a real value FA addition.

If the cap stays at the recently projected $180-185 million, there are going to be a lot of devalued contracts.  Not for the stars who will still make their money, but for the rest.  And that might have a ripple effect for the next few years.  From a business perspective, that might be why the owners are pushing to take the cap hit all in one season--to take the losses now and benefit from generally lower contracts for the next couple years.

8 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

If the cap stays at the recently projected $180-185 million, there are going to be a lot of devalued contracts.  Not for the stars who will still make their money, but for the rest.  And that might have a ripple effect for the next few years.  From a business perspective, that might be why the owners are pushing to take the cap hit all in one season--to take the losses now and benefit from generally lower contracts for the next couple years.

I'm not sure it's even that.  I think we're going to see the players who feel their market is depressed are either going to sign short-term deals or they're going to backload their contracts a bit more than usual.

I do have to also agree that Dennard wouldn't be worth our time. He's been rather overrated as an NFL player TBH. I think we could do just as well drafting someone, which should be done anyway because Josh Jackson is a bust, let's just call it what it is.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Josh Jackson is a bust, let's just call it what it is.

I want to argue against this so badly.  Can you recall any corner who hasn't done squat for 3 years that has all of a sudden turned it on and become a quality NFL cornerback?

I'm really hoping that he's a very late bloomer.  But I can't come up with any names.

Corner feel like one of those positions where you either have "it", or don't.  

Starting to feel like he doesn't have "it" at corner.  Maybe safety should be his position.  And that's too bad.  I was pretty excited when we drafted him.

11 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I want to argue against this so badly.  Can you recall any corner who hasn't done squat for 3 years that has all of a sudden turned it on and become a quality NFL cornerback?

I'm really hoping that he's a very late bloomer.  But I can't come up with any names.

Starting to feel like he doesn't have "it" at corner.  Maybe safety should be his position.  And that's too bad.  I was pretty excited when we drafted him.

What you've seen is why I was very happy we didn't blow a 1st on him. He was a former WR IIRC who transitioned to CB and had ONE good year. He's Quentin Rollins without the production and, yes, should at least be tried at Safety or moved into the slot perhaps. I can't think of a 2nd round CB, or DB for that matter, we've selected that has panned out except for Casey Hayward who has had a better career elsewhere. Pat Lee, reach; Josh Jones, bust; Quentin Rollins, flash in the pan then injury prone. You'd have to go all the way back to Nick Collins...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Tramon was a PS guy in 2016, then a ST guy in 2017, and then a backup pressed into starting duties in 2018.

48 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tramon was a PS guy in 2016, then a ST guy in 2017, and then a backup pressed into starting duties in 2018.

and josh jackson was a healthy 0% snaps across the board in weeks 16 and I think the playoffs.   bypassed on special teams by KeiVarae Russell

Snap Counts  
  Off. Def. ST Fantasy
Rk G# Date Tm   Opp Result Pos Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct FantPt DKPt FDPt
    Total           0   331   142      
1 1 2020-09-13 GNB @ MIN W 43-34 DB 0 0.0% 2 3.8% 14 53.8%      
2 2 2020-09-20 GNB   DET W 42-21 CB 0 0.0% 5 8.5% 19 63.3%      
3 3 2020-09-27 GNB @ NOR W 37-30 CB 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 16 50.0%      
4 4 2020-10-05 GNB   ATL W 30-16 CB 0 0.0% 28 40.0% 11 47.8%      
5 5 2020-10-18 GNB @ TAM L 10-38 CB 0 0.0% 64 100.0% 10 33.3%      
6 6 2020-10-25 GNB @ HOU W 35-20 CB 0 0.0% 68 100.0% 9 30.0%      
7 7 2020-11-01 GNB   MIN L 22-28 CB 0 0.0% 45 86.5% 7 36.8%      
8 8 2020-11-05 GNB @ SFO W 34-17 CB 0 0.0% 56 98.2% 7 25.9%      
9 9 2020-11-15 GNB   JAX W 24-20 CB 0 0.0% 60 93.8% 7 23.3%      
10 10 2020-11-22 GNB @ IND L 31-34 CB 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 16 50.0%      
11 13 2020-12-13 GNB @ DET W 31-24 CB 0 0.0% 0 0.0% 13 50.0%      
12 15 2020-12-27 GNB   TEN W 40-14 CB 0 0.0% 3 5.5% 13 59.1%      

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Fixed it for you. Hopefully someone sees it before dudes career is ruined by NFL coaches trying to force square pegs in round holes.

If Jackson is a square peg in a round hole at cb and should be a safety then it's a secondary coach's problem/decision.  That would be Jerry Gray as secondary coach wouldn't it?  If so and that's one of his decisions to keep him at cb, why in the world would anybody think he'd be a quality D coordinator for the Packers?   

• Like 1

Really great work @squire12, it's always rare to see mocks especially this early with this amount of effort. I can't speak to the draft class as I haven't really looked at much outside the first round. I will echo some other statements where I don't really understand the positions in the 2nd/3rd, I am a fan of BPA but at the same time would rather navigate the board a bit and get some positions of need while still BPA.