Using early picks on backup offensive linemen

biggie.

8 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Teams are willing to use second or third round picks on backup quarterbacks. After Super Bowl XLV, it got me thinking: should teams use high picks on backup offensive lineman if he's the BPA?

They don't intend the guy to remain a backup QB if they take him in the 2nd or 3rd round. That is insane.

I’ve witnessed the Saints do it for years and it works out for him. Saved money by dumping Warford, and Carl Nicks in years before. I dont think there’s anything wrong investing round 2-3 picks on insurance lineman. Can save you $ in the long run or you just have an above average spot starter. 

4 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Not really. And I don't mean a guy who was a first year backup. I mean a guy where they knew his long term ceiling was backup from the start.

No, I don't think they believe their long term ceiling is backup. They just sometimes realize they may be drafting said player to be a backup for them for 4 years. The Redskins drafted Kirk Cousins early in the 4th round in the same year they drafted RGIII at #2 overall. I know we were talking about 3rd rounders, but that's just an example I thought of off the top of my head of a team using a draft pick that they definitely value on a player they expect to exclusively be a backup.

• Like 1

If you have set starters and you’re taking a guy to come in to take over in a year or so (Dillard, Solder, for example), sure. Probably depends on where we’re talking in the draft (like end of the first, second round, or top 3?). If you’re drafting them purely as health insurance, again probably depends on who else is available, but I’d say that’s a luxury pick unless you have a particularly fragile OL or something. 

I’d rather pay a quality backup $ in FA than use a first or second on a backup that won’t see the field for years, pending injury. If he’s going to take someone’s job in a year or two then it’s fine.

3 hours ago, braylon said:

No, I don't think they believe their long term ceiling is backup. They just sometimes realize they may be drafting said player to be a backup for them for 4 years. The Redskins drafted Kirk Cousins early in the 4th round in the same year they drafted RGIII at #2 overall. I know we were talking about 3rd rounders, but that's just an example I thought of off the top of my head of a team using a draft pick that they definitely value on a player they expect to exclusively be a backup.

Garrett Grayson was taken by the Saints in the 3rd round in 2015

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

Garrett Grayson was taken by the Saints in the 3rd round in 2015

Non-Falcons Saints situations:

2019 Will Grier - Carolina - Cam Newton

2018 Mason Rudolph - Pittsburgh - Big Ben

2016 Jacoby Brissett - New England - Tom Brady

2014 Jimmy Garappolo - New England - Tom Brady

2010 Ryan Mallett - New England - Tom Brady

2008 Kevin O'Connell - New England - Tom Brady

2006 Charlie Whitehurst - San Diego - Phillip Rivers

I am seeing a pattern. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I am seeing a pattern. 

Thank you lol. I didn't feel like doing the research. In @WideRight 's defense, you could speculate that all the way back to the 2010 Mallet pick, the Pats were actually prepping for post Brady life and thought those guys may be eventual starters. No one expected Tom to play well into his 40s.

But overall, the point stands. Teams absolutely invest relatively high draft picks into QBs they don't necessarily expect to take over the franchise one day.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

I am seeing a pattern. 

Some of these guys absolutely had starter ceilings when picked. Jimmy G, Rudolph, Whitehurst, Mallet. I wasn’t saying they intend them to start in year one, and I mentioned that, but they ceiling was starter somewhere for many of those - even if it wasn’t with their franchise. You take asset.