Next Year’s QB

TOUCAN

35 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/14070/Tua-Tagovailoa-sees-greatness-in-former-teammate-Mac-Jones---He-s-a-more-mobile-Tom-Brady-

I'm really getting on board with getting this guy . Can he possibly be there at 19 ? If he is ,,and we pass . I won't be happy . 

Boy oh boy is the Mac Jones hype train really shifted into high gear :)

I will pose this question again.  If everyone now wants to fit a square peg in a round hole (non mobile pocket passer into Scott Turner's offense) then why are we looking to Mac Jones instead of Trask who has a better arm, better size and did more with less?  

I’m all on board with drafting a QB. Whether it be in round 1,2, or 3. But I want it to be someone that Scott Turner likes... not Dan Snyder or Ron Rivera, although Rivera liking him is at least helpful. My preference would be Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, Or Kellen Mond, and that’s in order of a round 1, 2 or 3 QB. If the team is on board, I’m on board. 

I also want said QB regardless of round drafted to have a true completion with Heinicke and Allen. 

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I will pose this question again.  If everyone now wants to fit a square peg in a round hole (non mobile pocket passer into Scott Turner's offense) then why are we looking to Mac Jones instead of Trask who has a better arm, better size and did more with less?  

I guess I kinda forgot about Trask after the 3 interceptions in one quarter in the Bowl game. Also Jones comp. % was like 76 vs 70. I guess Trask should still be in the discussion-good points.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

For me, it’s mostly because he definitely didn’t do more, and he didn’t really have much less. I also don’t think he has a better arm, and he’s clearly less mobile. 

If the question is Mac Jones at 19 (or higher) and Kyle Trask in the late 2nd or 3rd where he likely comes off the board, then I’d probably lean Trask, simply because its easier to get away from a 3rd round pick than a 1st rounder — and frankly, I expect both of these guys to end up in the Andy Dalton (or worse) category, so I’m not particularly intrigued with either. Would root for either, of course, but I wouldn’t take them. Just too difficult to be a superstar when you have poor mobility and a mediocre arm, and I’m not sure we should be drafting someone with the likely ceiling of a top 15 QB, even if they have a relatively high floor.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

It's also a thing where an OC adjusts to the strengths of his QB and not necessarily just square pegs a round hole (awk phrasing) 

I’m warming up to the Mac Jones possibility if he’s there but I don’t think he makes it past the patriots.

rumors are that Lance may slide, I would probably take a chance on him at 19

If we don’t go QB first round I prefer Mond in the 3rd over Trask, kid played all 4 years and showed improvement every year. He can sling the rock and tote it. To me he would be a perfect candidate for a QB competition between him, Allen, and Heinicke.

• Like 1

Mond has a stronger arm than Kyle Trask? Not sure about that. 

Trask did more with less?   Not sure about that, Trask had Pitts & Toney, both projected to go in round 1, same as DeVonta Smith & Waddle didn’t play half the year because he broke his ankle.

I don’t see Jones or Trask as statues, they’re just not the good to great athletes that Lawrence, Wilson & Fields are. 

Jones reminds me of a Cousins/Dalton type athlete. Trask in a lot of ways reminds of Big Ben as an athlete. Not really athletic, but big and strong and deceptive in his movements where it makes defenders tough to sack him.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/1/2021 at 4:08 PM, LoganF89 said:

I’m warming up to the Mac Jones possibility if he’s there but I don’t think he makes it past the patriots.

rumors are that Lance may slide, I would probably take a chance on him at 19

If we don’t go QB first round I prefer Mond in the 3rd over Trask, kid played all 4 years and showed improvement every year. He can sling the rock and tote it. To me he would be a perfect candidate for a QB competition between him, Allen, and Heinicke.

As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm slowly sliding into the "get Lance" camp. If he drops out of the Top 10, we need to make a move to get him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm slowly sliding into the "get Lance" camp. If he drops out of the Top 10, we need to make a move to get him.

This is becoming me, as well. The kid has grown on me, largely based on some comments I’ve read relating to his intangibles. We can all see the legs and the big arm, and even if there are some occasionally wonky mechanics and bad throws, the overall arm talent is pretty good. The concern for me has always been that it’s a massive gamble placing all your chips on the prospect of a I-AA running QB developing so much from a mental/processing standpoint that he’ll be able to fully command an NFL passing game. But things I’ve seen about his work ethic, intelligence, ability to digest information and take on more scheme complexity, etc. make me feel better about the idea. There is some definite Josh Allen feel with him for me.

The problem is, we don’t have a lot of friends in the “just dropped out of the top 10” range. DAL at 10 and NYG at 11 would probably have to be bowled over with a godfather offer to help facilitate our drafting of a franchise QB. And SF at 12 is a team I consider a strong contender to take a QB — and they’re in a good position with Jimmy G to be able to wait on Lance a bit. Can only imagine the type of stuff Kyle Shanahan could cook up with a QB who runs like Lance. How do you ever tackle that team if they could get Lance, Mostert, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Kittle all on the field at once? 

So do we go to 9? That’s likely a steep price to pay, to move DEN off what will probably be their top defensive prospect in the draft. I like him, but I don’t know that I like him enough to give up two 1sts (or more). Do we hope he gets past SF and then make the move? Probably lose him at that point. We are in a very difficult position stuck at 19. 

24 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Well gosh, that throws a little cold water on the Lance idea. Simms has been quite good at evaluating the QB prospects in recent years. Will be interested to see why he’s got Fields and Lance so low, I’ll have to assume it’s too much of the old “one and run” read progressions. 

• Like 1

So interesting how we have people in the same moment talking up Mac Jones and others talking up Trey Lance.  These qbs couldn't be more different.  I wonder if there are similar discussions at WFT.  Mayhew wanting Lance, Hurney calling for Jones and Rivera calling for Kyle Allen :)

17 minutes ago, offbyone said:

So interesting how we have people in the same moment talking up Mac Jones and others talking up Trey Lance.  These qbs couldn't be more different.  I wonder if there are similar discussions at WFT.  Mayhew wanting Lance, Hurney calling for Jones and Rivera calling for Kyle Allen :)

And I’m over here beating the drum for Mond in the 3rd 😂