Next Year’s QB

TOUCAN

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

do it jewish GIF

I am not too crazy about Darnold. On the field I see a lot of Haskins in him. Basically a more mature Haskins. Makes an amazing on the throw run one play, and then throws it right to a defender the next. Maybe in a different system he does better? But let’s not forget he also never lived up to his great freshman year in college either. So you could also say he’s very Jameis Winston like, who we could sign. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:57 PM, offbyone said:

If we are going in that direction (pocket passer qb) why not Trask?  He likely falls lower and I think he has more talent.

Jones is more accurate. I have no problem with Trask, he honestly reminds me of a young Big Ben, he moves better than people give him credit fir but it’s slow, laborious and sometimes awkward like Ben. The issue is he doesn’t have the arm Ben does.

I can go either way on them two, but I like Jones more.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I’m kinda all over the place with QB. I’m not really sure I want to give up a second for Darnold. I don’t really see how his play warrants that kind of value? I’m totally off the Mariota train and want nothing to do with Winston. I’m so tired of the Tannehill comparisons for all the failed QBs. The Tannehill situation is so outrageously rare and it just seems silly to keep including Mariota in that. 

As far as the draft is concerned, Trey Lance will be there. I’m totally convinced he’ll be available when we pick. I think Mac Jones ends up being picked ahead of him and possibly ahead of Fields as well. I wonder if Lance is there if we’ll even be interested? He seems like a big project and I do wonder if draftniks have inflated his value and if the league views him differently? Of all the QBs, Lance is the one I could see tumbling big time. 

Sadly, I think our starter is either going to be Kyle Allen or Cam Newton. I don’t see Sam Darnold coming here and Watson or Prescott isn’t happening. I just keep coming back to Newton and it seems like the stars are aligning for a reunion. It’s not going to go well and I’ll guess he ends up benched mid season for Kyle Allen but it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m kinda all over the place with QB. I’m not really sure I want to give up a second for Darnold. I don’t really see how his play warrants that kind of value? I’m totally off the Mariota train and want nothing to do with Winston. I’m so tired of the Tannehill comparisons for all the failed QBs. The Tannehill situation is so outrageously rare and it just seems silly to keep including Mariota in that. 

As far as the draft is concerned, Trey Lance will be there. I’m totally convinced he’ll be available when we pick. I think Mac Jones ends up being picked ahead of him and possibly ahead of Fields as well. I wonder if Lance is there if we’ll even be interested? He seems like a big project and I do wonder if draftniks have inflated his value and if the league views him differently? Of all the QBs, Lance is the one I could see tumbling big time. 

Sadly, I think our starter is either going to be Kyle Allen or Cam Newton. I don’t see Sam Darnold coming here and Watson or Prescott isn’t happening. I just keep coming back to Newton and it seems like the stars are aligning for a reunion. It’s not going to go well and I’ll guess he ends up benched mid season for Kyle Allen but it is what it is. 

I feel the same way about darnold. I don't know why you give up a second. I'd be comfortable giving up a future conditional on the merits of his play + team performance and all that, but you can't really afford to pick up his option, he hasn't shown a whole ton consistently .

People bring up tannehill, but the fact is that tanny had a much better career in miami than darnold has in New York. Tanny flashed some averageness at points

Sam is all about the draft pedigree. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The idea with Darnold is untapped potential I equate it to when the Packers traded for Favre. I’m with you on most of this. I do think that Cam or Kyle Allen are likely to be our starter but I’m not convinced it won’t be Heinicke or even Alex again.

If Heinicke can duplicate his success from week 16 & the playoffs, he may be the starter week 1 but he has a hell of a lot to prove. He must stay healthy at this point I equate him to a young Colt McCoy, he has the moxy, intelligent, athleticism & leadership to be a starter but he must stay Hemet by something he hasn’t done in two starts just like Colt could never do in his 10 year career.

Still saddens me that in 2014 Gruden was forced to go back to RG3 by the front office & Colt broke his leg after Alex in 2018 & had complications in 2019 where he couldn’t be the starter week 1. It’s likely that Colt never would’ve been an average starter but it still sucks to me that we never really got the chance to find out bc of Snyder/Brice forcing RG3 on Gruden in 2014 & Colt breaking his leg vs the Eagles in 2018.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel the same way about darnold. I don't know why you give up a second. I'd be comfortable giving up a future conditional on the merits of his play + team performance and all that, but you can't really afford to pick up his option, he hasn't shown a whole ton consistently .

People bring up tannehill, but the fact is that tanny had a much better career in miami than darnold has in New York. Tanny flashed some averageness at points

Sam is all about the draft pedigree. 

I would say Sam has shown some flashes, as a rookie - pre Gase face:

• 69%, 341 yds & 3 TDs vs Aaron Rodgers & the Packers.

Year 2:

• Vs Dallas: 72%, 338 yds, 2 TDs (we’d take that vs Dallas every time as Washington fans)

• At Washington in 2019: 63%, 293 yds & 4Tds

• Vs Oakland: 69%, 315, 2 TDs

• Vs Miami: 270 yds & 2 TDs

I’m open to just about anything in terms of upgrading the QB position but trading to remain average, I draw the line at trading for Mariota. As I’ve said time & time again, rather than trade for him it’d make more sense to wait till he becomes a FA bc trading for back up QBs year after year is an awful way to build a team - ask Cerrato/Gibbs & Dan when they didn’t value mid round picks in the 2000s. 

Newton, Trubisky, Tyrod & Winston = Mariota and they may even be better options so I wouldn’t trade fir Mariota.

Darnold has upside, if you’re going to trade for a QB, trade for him.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I would say Sam has shown some flashes, as a rookie - pre Gase face:

• 69%, 341 yds & 3 TDs vs Aaron Rodgers & the Packers.

Year 2:

• Vs Dallas: 72%, 338 yds, 2 TDs (we’d take that vs Dallas every time as Washington fans)

• At Washington in 2019: 63%, 293 yds & 4Tds

• Vs Oakland: 69%, 315, 2 TDs

• Vs Miami: 270 yds & 2 TDs

He's flashed some single games (and his most impressive is probably one that you didn't mention against the Rams this year), but he hasn't done enough for me to warrant giving up a second on him this year. I think for a lot of teams, a second is an immediate contributor / starter and I have no idea what you're getting in Sam Darnold, that's why my comp would be a conditional. And for the record, I don't have an issue if that conditional pick can be as high as a first. But when I give up assets, I need to have some idea on what I'm getting back in return is all.  

There have been some highs...but it's mostly been low. I think Skippy mentioned it in the gen forum, but he's had like 6 games with a rating at over 110. THis is actually pretty good ; more than Tannehill had his first three years I believe, better than Bortles (though several fewer than Winston). But he's also had like 15 when it's under a 75, and if you increase that just 2 points to 77, it's 19 of his games, which is half his career starts. Nick Mullens has like 3 games of 110+ in 16 career starts. Single games are too small of a sample size. People forget how much Tannehill improved his third year. He was a league average QB for the entire year. Darnold simply hasn't managed to put that all together for a string. We can argue its because of the team, and that very well may be, but I can't say that for sure because until that Rams game where Darnold played really well for a half and made some really good plays you won't see in a box score, Flacco may have had that offense running better and it definitely wasn't worse. Darnold's INT rate is worse than Winston's after three years. 

The thing that really makes Darnold a tricky pick up though is the contract. I think whomever picks him up is going to get put in a really weird position on how to pay him moving forward. You can't pick up the fifth year option. You have to do it before the season starts and it's fully guaranteed. That means if he completely bombs after you pick him up, you're just saddled with him for the second year at 25+ million. Not ideal (though if the cap explodes, I suppose its whatever). If he has a "good" season or string of games, do you really want to give him the Tannehill / Jimmy G contract already? I probably don't feel comfortable doing that, so that is probably the franchise tag...which...is probably the best outcome, I guess? The other hope would be that you he's okay but not great and you can sort of get him to that Blake Bortles 2 year extension somewhat earlier on? It's not inspiring, but you're not committing huge money or huge term, but he may still not even be worth it, ultimately. 

I don't have a major issue with acquiring Darnold to kick the tires on him and see if anything is there. But a current second? I'd pass. I think I'd give a lesser version of the Wentz trade. I'd give round 4 pick or something this year, and then a conditional pick the following year based on performance / team performance / etc. 

For Washington, I think Winston is probably my favorite choice for you guys. Nothing but money has to be given, the deal is likely going to be team friendly and his ups are far greater than anyone else you can acquire. 

@Forge I don’t see Rivera signing Winston bc of his immaturity. He’s got the talent but everything that Rivera just went through with Haskins, I just don’t see him wanting to bring in Winston.

As for Darnold yeah, I’d much rather give a conditional 2nd that’s say a 4th if he doesn’t start 75% of the games but I don’t know if the Jets will go for that. I’d also say that he was playing with the least talented offense around him since he was drafted. My opinion is that if he had all the talent Baker was getting or Murray that he would’ve shown more.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

We will sign a vet QB. I'm 100% certain of that.

We have Heinicke, Allen & Montez.

Alex is the big ?

I don't see us signing Darnold or any unproven QB. 

I also don't believe we will use our 1st Rd pick #19 to draft one either.

Now we might draft one in the 2nd Rd or lower if the value is there & the guy they want is sitting there.

It will be a Mariota, Fitzmagic or even Cam Newton, before we bring in a young guy.

Having said all that....

I'm still staying with my prediction, that we call Green Bay & offer them the right deal at the right time for Rodgers.

Until it doesn't happen, that's what I'm going with. He's the perfect short term answer from what we have.

I also think we can get him for a more reasonable price, than what many will assume because of his age.

Yes, it'll cost our #19, a player and a couple of other picks.

But it won't cost what D. Watson will to someone.

I don't count out Dak or Wilson either, but I honestly don't think they come here.

I think Rodgers will be our guy & we will be immediate Superbowl contenders.

We can also take on his contract, unlike other teams who would want Rodgers as well.

And Jags are stuck on Lawrence.

As I predicted...Rodgers will be rumored or already traded between March 12th-thru-March 19 to Washington Football Team.

😆🏈