FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

17 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Jenna Laine reporting 

JPP 2 year extension to free up some space

I dont have a link lol just saw on NFL live

twas fake, pewerreport posted it but it was just a snapchat video they found from last year.

7 minutes ago, indifference said:

Why would the Bucs extend a 32 year old for 2 more years. Guy could fall off a cliff by this fall alone. His body is broken down but somehow he still manages to produce. Bucs cant depend on him in the near future. 

This extension hasn t been confirmed, looks like Laine jumped the gun from an old social media post.

2 hours ago, indifference said:

Why would the Bucs extend a 32 year old for 2 more years. Guy could fall off a cliff by this fall alone. His body is broken down but somehow he still manages to produce. Bucs cant depend on him in the near future. 

Yeah I hope he can sustain his level of play for at least another year. But I'd be surprised if so. We really need a guy that can back up him and Shaq and be the future guy. And there's plenty of guys in the draft that can do it. Edge needs to be the first pick. 

• Like 1

Bucs gaining leverage on a Godwin extension by the hour.  Will agents be willing that this is just a one yr aberration in WR FA mkt and things go back to normal next season?  The reduced cap didn t hurt contracts for pass rusher and OL, that is for sure.    Things about to get interesting.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Bucs gaining leverage on a Godwin extension by the hour.  Will agents be willing that this is just a one yr aberration in WR FA mkt and things go back to normal next season?  The reduced cap didn t hurt contracts for pass rusher and OL, that is for sure.    Things about to get interesting.

Perfect opportunity for the FO to get Godwin locked up for cheaper 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Godwin has no incentive to sign an extension now. He can wait until next year and cash in.

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Godwin has no incentive to sign an extension now. He can wait until next year and cash in.

Remember Cecil Shorts playing for the Bucs against the Chargers in SD?    We should not under estimate the possibility of career alterimg or ending injuries to a player.  15 million once he signs thr tender is terrific.  God forbid Godwin ruptures a patella in week 2, forget about cash in.  He could easily double his guaranteed money this offseason by signing a multi yr deal even before he walks on the practice field in July.   

I do wonder if this offseason the WR position is starting to get devalued as part of the salary cap.  Certainly too early to tell.  It would not shock me going fwd considering all the WRs drafted every year and the various personnel grouping modern offenses run, WRs are not always on the field like a CB1 or CB2.  

Finally, I don t believe Godwin s play has shown to be worthy of a contract over 20 million.  Not that I don t appreciate what Godwin does, but this media narrative of paying Godwin you hope what he becomes as opposed to the first 4 yrs of his career, I am not buying.  My fav "If he s healthy, Godwin is a 90 catch 1400 yd WR".  The same general narrative I read about OJ Howard.   In comparison, Shaq got paid because he actually produced a 19 sack season on the field.  

The Bucs were correct to franchise him,  curious to see what Godwin wants to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

If I was him, I would bet on myself and do that, as you know when the cap returns to more normal next year and with the projections of it skyrocketing with the next TV deal, there will be money to be had.

With that said, as @ravishingonepointed out you run the risk of a significant injury or another down season. Godwin didn't really help himself in 2020 with the injury and drop issues, whether they were beyond his control or not.

I think he'll bounce back and be closer to the 2019 version, as he's just entering that prime phase of his career, but you just never know the player's mindset with security vs. potential earnings.