FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

17 minutes ago, indifference said:

Bucs resign Lenny

Look like RB first 2 rounds is off the board now.

OLB depth still shaky

I believe Licht will really like Payne and Ossai as options for their first pick above all else.  Why?  He really likes athleticism and a level of some production in college.  Finally, the ASJ effect.  Pretty much since drafting ASJ, Licht only drafts prospects who definitely play the game hard.  There is zero question on effort.  For this reason, I don t think Jaelan Phillips would be high on the list.  

34 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I believe Licht will really like Payne and Ossai as options for their first pick above all else.  Why?  He really likes athleticism and a level of some production in college.  Finally, the ASJ effect.  Pretty much since drafting ASJ, Licht only drafts prospects who definitely play the game hard.  There is zero question on effort.  For this reason, I don t think Jaelan Phillips would be high on the list.  

Paye over everyone

but honestly i prefer Ossai to Basham but i like that Basham is bigger and could line up as a DE in a 34 and an Edge

i just did a mock , in the mock draft forum for the first time in ages, and i was seriously debating Ossai or Basham and i ended up going the latter

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Smith made a nice career for himself considering his inability to cover.  Good for him to continue his career and make more then the vet minimum.

Good for him. As a 4th round pick i gotta say he has made expectation. He found a niche in the league and thats all you can ask for after the third round.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

So if Teddy Two Gloves gets cut, I would think the Bucs would make him a priority to sign.

Doubt he'd want to come here because a] we're not going to be able to give him a lucrative offer b] he knows he had no shot to play unless TB12 got injured

I would think if I were him I'd be looking for a team like Chicago (where I know I could legit go in and have a chance to compete for the starter role) or a team like Houston (where I know the franchise QB is looking at likely missing time due to the legal aspect and possible suspension). 

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Doubt he'd want to come here because a] we're not going to be able to give him a lucrative offer b] he knows he had no shot to play unless TB12 got injured

I would think if I were him I'd be looking for a team like Chicago (where I know I could legit go in and have a chance to compete for the starter role) or a team like Houston (where I know the franchise QB is looking at likely missing time due to the legal aspect and possible suspension). 

Teddy recieved 33 million (44 million career) guaranteed on his current contract.  He knows what it is like to be a starter on a bad team.  He also knows what it is like to play on a very good team and be ready to start.

The appeal for the Bucs as a back up would be when Brady finally retires, a really good chance they will be picking outside the top 15.   A Qb already on the roster will have the inside track to be the starter.  

Not sure which way Teddy goes, but I would rather have Teddy over Gabbert.

Edited by ravishingone
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Teddy recieved 33 million (44 million career) guaranteed on his current contract.  He knows what it is like to be a starter on a bad team.  He also knows what it is like to play on a very good team and be ready to start.

The appeal for the Bucs as a back up would be when Brady finally retires, a really good chance they will be picking outside the top 15.   A Qb already on the roster will have the inside track to be the starter.  

Not sure which way Teddy goes, but I would rather have Teddy over Gabbert.

I mean i get the appeal, but if you're him are you willing to sit on this roster behind Brady for another 2-3 years at minimum (and take substantial pay decrease for those years) in order to get that job? And when Brady does retire, what if BA sails into the sunset and some of the current coaches on staff go elsewhere - then there is no assurance the new regime wouldn't want to get their own guy in place. If I'm him that's a lot of unknowns pretty far down the road.

I look at it in similar light to what you see with NFL/college regimes that have a successful coach in place that is on the last leg of his career. You have a promising coordinator that they like/want to keep, so the team starts saying all the right things to him and hyping him as the heir apparent. Meanwhile, the team or AD isn't willing to actually make the financial commitment at the time to him, or they don't give an actual hard deadline of when this succession will occur, but leave it open ended. You almost always see that coordinator end up taking another job, as he knows where his market is currently and he might never actually get that before said chance, or even one step further is the guys tries to wait it out and a year or so later ends up getting fired/passed over because his shine wore off, or the success he had previously begins to falter.  

Like you said, no real way to know how Teddy want to go about it, but based off his track record in NO and a similar situation, I think he'll be looking for his next opportunity sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I mean i get the appeal, but if you're him are you willing to sit on this roster behind Brady for another 2-3 years at minimum (and take substantial pay decrease for those years) in order to get that job? And when Brady does retire, what if BA sails into the sunset and some of the current coaches on staff go elsewhere - then there is no assurance the new regime wouldn't want to get their own guy in place. If I'm him that's a lot of unknowns pretty far down the road.

I look at it in similar light to what you see with NFL/college regimes that have a successful coach in place that is on the last leg of his career. You have a promising coordinator that they like/want to keep, so the team starts saying all the right things to him and hyping him as the heir apparent. Meanwhile, the team or AD isn't willing to actually make the financial commitment at the time to him, or they don't give an actual hard deadline of when this succession will occur, but leave it open ended. You almost always see that coordinator end up taking another job, as he knows where his market is currently and he might never actually get that before said chance, or even one step further is the guys tries to wait it out and a year or so later ends up getting fired/passed over because his shine wore off, or the success he had previously begins to falter.  

Like you said, no real way to know how Teddy want to go about it, but based off his track record in NO and a similar situation, I think he'll be looking for his next opportunity sooner than later.

So BA is done soon.  However, Licht will be here indefinitely. I don t put much stock into "what if" for the next HC.  Licht will have plenty of input on the roster and next HC because of the SB victory.

I can t disagree about anything that Teddy might be thinking.  

Obviously, the lip service about luving Gabbert was a ruse.  Waiting to sign him after the draft does not suggest a vital piece of the puzzle.  

32 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Teddy will likely be 30 when Brady retires. He's probably not gonna get many more chances to start.

He was supposed to be the heir in New Orleans after Brees retired. Does he wanna go to a similar situation and hope for the best?

Or he can compete to be the starter on very avg. teams like Denver and Chicago.  

If we believe in what BA says publically, the Bucs had him behind door 2 last offseason.  Don t think Teddy > Gabbert is a stretch.  Will he reciprocate the interest?  I would expect the Teddy decision to be resolved before the draft.

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

So BA is done soon.  However, Licht will be here indefinitely. I don t put much stock into "what if" for the next HC.  Licht will have plenty of input on the roster and next HC because of the SB victory.

I can t disagree about anything that Teddy might be thinking.  

Obviously, the lip service about luving Gabbert was a ruse.  Waiting to sign him after the draft does not suggest a vital piece of the puzzle.  

Yah, as someone who watched Blaine Gabbert extensively in high school and at Mizzou, and know what he truly is, I didn't buy into the coach speak. 

He was here because a] he has experience in NFL and knew BA/the system well  b] he knew his role and was content with it c] he has enough natural arm talent to be able to come in for a few series or even a game and steal you a win if push came to shove.

He's nothing more than that and certainly not an option for the aftermath of TB12. 

With Bridgewater, I think odds are slim-none he would chose us even if we were interested, but just my opinion. 

• Like 1