FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

Sometime this week or next week PR is having a podcast with a cap expert talking about Bucs FAs.  Should be rather interesting.  

No issue with Lavonte wanting to get paid.  If he goes,  KJ Wright are the same age and basically play the same position.  Can both guys get over 10 million in the open mkt?  

Finally if Brady wants AB resigned, AB will be resigned.  The king of the castle gets what he wants after leading the franchise to the ultimate victory.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ravishingone said:

And we re off and running with the rumor mill.  Tip of the cap to @RaidersAreOnefinding this rumor.

Yeah...I dont see him saying that at all. He just completed a $55m contract. He got plenty of money, and I'm sure he's just like Mike Evans in that he will take less to help the team. I think all the major FAs will stay, and we cut guys like Pinion to save some money with rookies. Jensen can take a pay cut too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, one_of_a_kind24 said:

Yeah...I dont see him saying that at all. He just completed a $55m contract. He got plenty of money, and I'm sure he's just like Mike Evans in that he will take less to help the team. I think all the major FAs will stay, and we cut guys like Pinion to save some money with rookies. Jensen can take a pay cut too. 

Agreed. Bucs will manipulate the cap and extend folks to create space. Gronk, Godwin, David, and Barrett will be back. 

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

D Smith, Marpet, Mike, and Jensen can all have their contracts tweaked/extended to free up space.

The risk there is you extend smith and give him a deal that gurantees his pay for 21 and 22. Say you drop his cap hit from 15 to 11. For that to happen, he'll have to get 22 million guranteed say 2 year 22-23 mil guranteed. If Smith hit the market tomorrow, he'd get another 15-16 just bc there are not 32 NFL starting caliber LT's there and he's an avergae to above average Tackle. 

Mike and Jensen will do some sort of restructuring sure. I'm not sure it'll be enough to keep David, Barrett and Godwin. I feel like we're going to lose one of them and it won't be Barret. 

Looking at our current contracts in 2021:

Mike makes just over $16.5M. He said he'd take a pay cut. So we'll free up some money there.

D Smith makes just over $14M. Giving him another three year contract starting in 2022 with guarantees for '22 and '23, maybe he'll take a million or less. Or simply extending him and lowering his '21 salary to like $10M while guaranteeing '22 and '23 doesn't seem impossible.

JPP makes almost $13M. Dunno how he'd feel about a small extension for less money in '21.

Marpet makes a little over $12M. We could convert some of his salary to a signing bonus (his current contract runs through '23) to free up space. He's not going anywhere. It's what we've done with Mike twice now.

Jensen is set to make $10M in the final year of his contract. I'm sure he'd like the assurance of an extension with more guaranteed money.

Brate makes $6.5M and Howard makes a little over $6. Neither contract is guaranteed. I can't imagine both guys will be playing for us with those cap numbers. Something is gonna have to change. Especially since Gronk wants to come back.

Gholston is 30, making $5.5M. We could extend him (defensive linemen play well into their 30s) and free up a little space. I'd like to extend him regardless.

OTC has us just over $28M in cap space. But we can save a bunch of money just by doing things with these eight contracts.

And I haven't even mentioned Brady's $28M. If he's serious about playing two more years, we can give him a one year extension and probably drop his salary back down to $25M.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Looking at our current contracts in 2021:

Mike makes just over $16.5M. He said he'd take a pay cut. So we'll free up some money there.

D Smith makes just over $14M. Giving him another three year contract starting in 2022 with guarantees for '22 and '23, maybe he'll take a million or less. Or simply extending him and lowering his '21 salary to like $10M while guaranteeing '22 and '23 doesn't seem impossible.

JPP makes almost $13M. Dunno how he'd feel about a small extension for less money in '21.

Marpet makes a little over $12M. We could convert some of his salary to a signing bonus (his current contract runs through '23) to free up space. He's not going anywhere. It's what we've done with Mike twice now.

Jensen is set to make $10M in the final year of his contract. I'm sure he'd like the assurance of an extension with more guaranteed money.

Brate makes $6.5M and Howard makes a little over $6. Neither contract is guaranteed. I can't imagine both guys will be playing for us with those cap numbers. Something is gonna have to change. Especially since Gronk wants to come back.

Gholston is 30, making $5.5M. We could extend him (defensive linemen play well into their 30s) and free up a little space. I'd like to extend him regardless.

OTC has us just over $28M in cap space. But we can save a bunch of money just by doing things with these eight contracts.

And I haven't even mentioned Brady's $28M. If he's serious about playing two more years, we can give him a one year extension and probably drop his salary back down to $25M.

Pinion being cut will help bring back Succop.  I would rather see them let Gholston play out his contract and not add yrs.  Agree on the TE situation.  Could extend JPP and turn some of his base salary into a signing bonus.  He ll be 33 in that extra yr.  

Jensen is the leader of the oline, I expect him to get extended and get his cap number to drop 2 million.  

I wonder if they convert Brady s 10 million roster bonus and turn it into a signing bonus-add another yr.  I don t know enough about the cap how they can lower Evans and Marpet since they took their base salary and turned them into signing bonus.  I guess may be take base salary this season and turn it into a roster bonus next season.  I remember the Gurley contract in LA.  If Todd was on the roster on for the first game of the yr, it guaranteed a roster bonus for the next year. 

Byron Jones in FA signed for 5 yrs @ 82.5 million.  Carlton will be making 1.4 million this season and then is a UFA.  Obviously, Licht knows this so his FA decisions will keep in mind the Davis extension.  You don t let top 10 CBs out the door at age 25.  Not every GM is Jerry Jones.  😀

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Byron Jones in FA signed for 5 yrs @ 82.5 million.  Carlton will be making 1.4 million this season and then is a UFA.  Obviously, Licht knows this so his FA decisions will keep in mind the Davis extension.  You don t let top 10 CBs out the door at age 25.  Not every GM is Jerry Jones.  😀

might have to franchise tag him in 22. 

23 minutes ago, indifference said:

might have to franchise tag him in 22. 

Last yrs franchise tag for CB was 16.3 million.  I ll be curious what Lattimore gets this yr.  I have a feeling CB is a position that will not deflate in value even with cap going down.  

If Lattimore gets close to 18 million per yr, we ll have our answer. Davis had 4 picks and has no problem tackling anyone.  I think Lattimore is better, but not 3 million per season more.