The Facts Speak For Themselves

HH650

1 hour ago, matt27j said:

Things are what they are. We've passed on QBs because we've had to. Why? No legit FA's want to come here, especially considering our QB history. Zeitler came because of Hue.

FO accrued as many draft picks as possible because there is no other way for us to get enough talent. They tried to get Tony Jefferson. He'd be a huge upgrade over Ibraheim. Who knows who else they tried to get but couldn't. That's the way the cookie crumbles. 

Two years of picking at the top of the draft and trading down, signing Collins and Zeitler and there are still players out there that shouldn't be. Campbell, Meder, Schobert, the WRs.

Hue, Greg, and the FO have made persistent mistakes but they were all put in an impossible situation. Give them time and talent.

There's no guarantee that even if we land the 1st pick that Darnold, Rosen, or Jackson will come out. Furthermore, there's no guarantee we can put the team around them for them to have success. 

This is why I hope these everyone unifies, things start clicking, and we finish the season with a couple wins. Take Barkley or the best defender, sign a WR and DB and draft whatever you need to keep the nobody's off the field. Then we will actually be able to get an accurate gauge on this coaching staff, FO, and the players.

I can think of 60 million other reasons. 

True kiwi but which reasons are the most important.

Watson, Wentz, Mahomes all have great defenses. Even the Bears have a solid defense and great RBs/vet TE's to take the load off Tru. Our QBs need more help.

Carr didn't have a very good defense, but got Khalil before, then Cooper brought in Crab an excellent OL, and speed on defense with Karl Joseph, Nelson, Irvin. Rookie year they didn't win until week 12. 

Aggressive, inexperienced, and slow describes our defense other than Collins and this rookie class and it results in too many easy completions and RAC opportunities. We need all the picks we have considering the state of our offense as well. 

Regarding Mahomes, that is interesting.  If the Chiefs keep it up, they should go far into the playoffs this year.  If they do it will be difficult to justify letting Smith walk to play a red shirt 2nd year player, even if he was a round 1 pick.

20 hours ago, matt27j said:

True kiwi but which reasons are the most important.

Watson, Wentz, Mahomes all have great defenses. Even the Bears have a solid defense and great RBs/vet TE's to take the load off Tru. Our QBs need more help.

Carr didn't have a very good defense, but got Khalil before, then Cooper brought in Crab an excellent OL, and speed on defense with Karl Joseph, Nelson, Irvin. Rookie year they didn't win until week 12. 

Aggressive, inexperienced, and slow describes our defense other than Collins and this rookie class and it results in too many easy completions and RAC opportunities. We need all the picks we have considering the state of our offense as well. 

Literally not true. The Chiefs have a good defense but are liable against the pass. They don't give up points so I'll agree on them. Philadelphia's defense is playing well largely in part to how good the offense has been. Their offense leads the league in time of possession averaging more than 34 minutes per game. Both KC and Houston are in the top 6 in that category. Houston's defense hasn't been good at all. Hell they didn't play good against us, they had one or two good plays and our Qb crapped the bed and decided to throw about 15 terribly inaccurate passes. 

I don't regret the trades we have made. We just need to do a good job at acquiring talent, and for God's sake find a QB. 

On October 15, 2017 at 12:34 PM, HH650 said:

I really would like answers to the following questions:

1. Who made the draft selections in 2016?  It is starting to look like 2014 with a couple of players but no stars. 

2. Who decided to pass on Wentz and Watson and were they competent to make those decisions?

3. Is a degree from Harvard a sufficient basis for being Director of Personnel?  What evidence suggests it is sufficient?

Enough for now. 

Sure.

1.  A GM and front office in their first year after being assembled a couple months before that. That applies to 2016, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2008 (?), hell I don't remember them all now...  See the trend?  Most front office struggle in their first draft.

2.  Fair question and we'll see.  

3. What's a better option? Hiring a guy who worked for a guy who could do it? We've tried that too.  Statistically the worst guys hit on about 45% of picks.  The best? 55%. The only way to increase the talent base significantly faster than your competitors is to draft more, or hit on 75-80% of the picks, which is almost a statistical impossibility. In order to do that, you need more picks. Hence the trade downs.

Our issues aren't related to the 2016/2017 drafts alone.  It has to do with the atrocious drafts over the last decade, specifically 2013-2015 that left this roster bare before the nerds even got here. 

But no, let's just fire everyone and start from scratch again so we can have this same discussion in 24 months.

I am beginning to think Sashi missing on a few is the problem. He has hit on a bunch of solid players so far. One all star in Garrett obviously (He will end up being rookie of the year.) But because we all enjoy pointing fingers at something here ya go:

Britt instead of Pryor. This by far is his worst move of the off season. Pryor had a better understanding of Hue's system. Pryor ran better routes. Pryor could actually catch the ball. Britt not so much. 

The Practice Squad All-Stars WR Core. Again a bunch of rookie/2nd year players that don't know what they are doing. When Britt is the only WR FA signing worth mentioning that means you failed. This squad has Britt to look up to. Britt to say "Hey guys, I know what Hue wants." So again, they have no player veteran leadership to show them. 

Kizer/Kessler/Hogan/Brock instead of keeping McCown. I get it, trading for Brock and a 2nd was exactly like buying a 2nd rounder. It didn't mean we had to keep him. In a game of sit one, start one, cut one... it should have bee Sit Kizer, Start McCown, Cut Brock. If we are in who cares mode, then McCown was cheap and a veteran leader for Kizer. Now we have a QB core where the QB with the most experience playing in Hue's system doesn't even dress for the games. You could argue who we passed up but Wentz or Watson would not be successful here. Neither of them would put us in the playoff hunt let alone any closer to .500. I honestly don't think you can judge an offense with this weak of a WR core and a rookie QB. 

DB core - I guess Sashi figured that D-line and pass rush first then CB/S. Peppers seems like a decent enough addition. He'll be a solid starter. That's really all I want out of our first rounders at this point. We'll have to see if Sashi is smart enough to invest either cap space or high draft picks on the backfield this off season. 

In short, this team is failing because no WR core, no veteran QB, and a weak DB core. I'm sure Hue asked nicely for them but Sashi said, "Money BALL!!!!"

Maybe it's like building a house and asking your boss for a hammer. Instead of getting the tool you requested you are handed a brick and told to "Make do." 

For the future - Drop Britt. I would sign the best CB that'll fit William's system and the best WR available that will sign with us. Spend about 12 million on one. Dump 2 of the following Hogan/Kizer/ Kessler. Keep whatever one you think would make the best long term backup... sign a good veteran QB. Someone that can learn Hue's offense overnight. Then draft the best QB in the draft, followed by the best WR in the draft. Pick up a CB in the second round... then BPA it the rest of the way (Maybe an LT to train to eventually replace Thomas). We don't have to spend all of our cap in one off season but we need to spend some of it to make this team watchable. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived