The Trade Chat Thread 🔄

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Bold of him to assume he'd get much more than that on the market. A year ago, $10m was too much to give him. 1 partial game later and he thinks he's topping that in FA? 

Very bold indeed. 

Or he doesn't want to go to the team(s) willing to trade for him. Forcing his release would allow him to sign with whoever he wants. It's strange either way since his first goal should be to put his career back on track.

10 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Or he doesn't want to go to the team(s) willing to trade for him. Forcing his release would allow him to sign with whoever he wants. It's strange either way since his first goal should be to put his career back on track.

More or less what I mean. 

I get the whole point about being able to sign wherever he wants, it just seems odd considering that the teams linked to interest so far seem to be ones where he could potentially (even likely) start. Washington and New England are the two I've heard the most about. Maybe Chicago? I'm hesitant to say Houston until Watson is indeed moved. Same for Seattle with Wilson. 

The other teams around the league I can think of either have a guy, are imminently drafting a guy, or don't have the cap space to pay him more than he'd already be making. 

As far as potential to start: Minnesota, Green Bay, and probably Detroit are out. Until Wilson goes, the entire NFCW is out. TB and ATL are out, I've heard of no interest from Carolina, and New Orleans is highly unlikely given Winston, Hill, and their cap issues. Philadelphia has cap issues, the Giants have Jones and don't seem likely to give up just yet, Dallas is trying to resign Dak. Pending Watson, the AFCS is out. The AFCW is out unless Denver pulls something. The AFCN is out. The Jets, Dolphins, and Bills are all probably out. 

As you said, he should be trying to get the career back on track first and foremost. Seems like he risks doing the opposite and making less money this way. 

56 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Should call up the Titans and see if they would want to swap OT's. Take on the young troubled OT they drafted last year and have Cable work with him. Get young cheaper and a guy with a lot of upside. 

If you are talking about Wilson no thank you.  Kid is a problem and will continue to be until the league shows him it does not need him as much as the needs the league.  Showed last year to be selfish, reckless, and unaware of his position.  He has some serious talent but he needs to wake up before I would consider taking him on.  Might end up being that incredible talent that is more likely to end up in jail before he ever makes a pro bowl.  Just trading one disappointment for another.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Bold of him to assume he'd get much more than that on the market. A year ago, $10m was too much to give him. 1 partial game later and he thinks he's topping that in FA? 

Very bold indeed. 

Issue with him is that his contract is only team friendly if he's a backup. If he starts somewhere he'll be paid $21M. I'd bet his team wants him to be released so he can go somewhere that he has a good chance to start and he'll sign a 1 year deal between $10-$15M betting that he'll play well enough to secure the bag when/if the cap goes back up in 2022. 

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Issue with him is that his contract is only team friendly if he's a backup. If he starts somewhere he'll be paid $21M. I'd bet his team wants him to be released so he can go somewhere that he has a good chance to start and he'll sign a 1 year deal between $10-$15M betting that he'll play well enough to secure the bag when/if the cap goes back up in 2022. 

That's an issue i don't really understand even if that's widely reported as such. 21M would mean he's a 16 games starter. If he's starting 16 games, he's probably playing pretty well. Teddy B got 24M from Carolina in 2020 and much of it was guaranteed. I'd guess the low salary cap makes it more complicated. But imo, everybody's bluffing until the start of FA there.

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

That's an issue i don't really understand even if that's widely reported as such. 21M would mean he's a 16 games starter. If he's starting 16 games, he's probably playing pretty well. Teddy B got 24M from Carolina in 2020 and much of it was guaranteed. I'd guess the low salary cap makes it more complicated. But imo, everybody's bluffing until the start of FA there.

I was listening to a podcast and the host discussed how the Raiders more or less shot themselves in the foot with Mariota. Because he would have decent trade value if teams thought we were definitely going to keep him but with the cap going down and Mariota having zero dead cap next season it's almost guaranteed that he will be a cap casualty. So why would you give up a draft pick for a guy that will be a free agent in a week?

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So why would you give up a draft pick for a guy that will be a free agent in a week?

Because that's the safest way to get him. Once he's a FA, there's no guarantee he doesn't sign elsewhere. In the end, it's how much they value Mariota over the FA QBs.

4 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Because that's the safest way to get him. Once he's a FA, there's no guarantee he doesn't sign elsewhere. In the end, it's how much they value Mariota over the FA QBs.

That's true but next week is reportedly going to be a "massacre" in terms of how many guys get released. Not to mention there are a ton of veteran QB's that could be on the market including Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Tyrod Taylor, and Mitchell Tribusky. And there are also 5 QB's with 1st round grades in the draft this year. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

A lot of rumors going around that the Bears are going to give up significant draft capital to acquire Russell Wilson. It's pretty insane that they gave up significant draft capital to acquire Khalil Mack and in the following 3 seasons they've been 28-20 with 2 playoff appearances despite subpar QB play. Yet they're still in a position to acquire and pay Wilson while also paying Mack when we couldn't pay Carr/Mack and have a 19-29 record in the same span.