The Trade Chat Thread 🔄

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's true but next week is reportedly going to be a "massacre" in terms of how many guys get released. Not to mention there are a ton of veteran QB's that could be on the market including Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Tyrod Taylor, and Mitchell Tribusky. And there are also 5 QB's with 1st round grades in the draft this year. 

I'd place Mariota over Smith, Newton, Dalton, Brissett, and maybe Taylor solely for already having achieved journeyman status. 

Winston and Trubisky would be his most direct competitors (Prescott and Fitz would assuredly find gigs beforehand). 

Problem for Mariota on the market is once he's there and someone isn't trying to trade for him, there's just not going to be many options once the guys above him are signed and guys get drafted. 

I'd almost prefer to just hang onto him and let the chips fall and hope someone comes knocking for a trade after the draft and the FA frenzy ends. Or, heck, depending on what we wind up doing with Carr's impending contract, just keep him as a bridge. I just think he has too much value, in one way or another, to just cut.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

A lot of rumors going around that the Bears are going to give up significant draft capital to acquire Russell Wilson. It's pretty insane that they gave up significant draft capital to acquire Khalil Mack and in the following 3 seasons they've been 28-20 with 2 playoff appearances despite subpar QB play. Yet they're still in a position to acquire and pay Wilson while also paying Mack when we couldn't pay Carr/Mack and have a 19-29 record in the same span. 

Couldn't or wouldn't? I'm not a cap expert, but I find it very hard to believe that we couldn't have managed somehow if Gruden really wanted to. 

41 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Couldn't or wouldn't? I'm not a cap expert, but I find it very hard to believe that we couldn't have managed somehow if Gruden really wanted to. 

Wouldn't. We wouldn't pay Mack $26M in 2020 but paid Trent Brown, Marcus Mariota, and Tyrell Williams a combined $42M to stand on the sideline. Hell I don't even think TW was at any games last season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'd place Mariota over Smith, Newton, Dalton, Brissett, and maybe Taylor solely for already having achieved journeyman status. 

Winston and Trubisky would be his most direct competitors (Prescott and Fitz would assuredly find gigs beforehand). 

It's hard to really evaluate Mariota because he has dealt with so many injuries and hasn't had a 20+ TD season since 2016. He looked good in the one game he played last season but he was hurt for the majority of the season, IIRC. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A lot of rumors going around that the Bears are going to give up significant draft capital to acquire Russell Wilson. It's pretty insane that they gave up significant draft capital to acquire Khalil Mack and in the following 3 seasons they've been 28-20 with 2 playoff appearances despite subpar QB play. Yet they're still in a position to acquire and pay Wilson while also paying Mack when we couldn't pay Carr/Mack and have a 19-29 record in the same span. 

Well, right now they're over the cap with exactly 51 players under contract. Their best offensive player is a FA and they're not paying a starting QB. They're not in a good position. If they find a way to trade for Wilson, they have a lot of work to do to create cap space. It can be done but they'd have to release/trade some starters and they'd be left without cap space or draft picks to replace them. Even if they were to just restructure and push money to future years to fit Wilson under the cap, they'd have no resource to upgrade their WRs or OL. It's not ideal but they still might do it since their GM and HC are on a burning hot seat.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It's hard to really evaluate Mariota because he has dealt with so many injuries and hasn't had a 20+ TD season since 2016. He looked good in the one game he played last season but he was hurt for the majority of the season, IIRC. 

Pretty much. 

I give him the nod over some guys because of career altering levels of injuries (Smith/Newton), and his potential (obviously more than therr would be from an Andy Dalton or Tyrod Taylor with age and general upside being factors), but still put Fitzpatrick over him for that reason: production and availability. 

I'd actually put him over Winston (turnover penchant) and Trubisky (less athletically gifted) if not for the lack of production and availability. 

Which, again, makes his stance even more perplexing. He has 1 game of tape that he wouldn't have had if not for Carr getting hurt, in a game we still lost, after spending the rest of the year on the sideline, AND wasn't even given a chance to showcase in the last game or so (for better or worse). Aside from me being a Raiders fan and hoping to get something in return from a QB needy team, I don't see what he and his team are seeing in terms of possibly making any more money next year than we'd pay him to ride the pine via anything other than a trade. Like, does he not realize how ridiculously overpaid he was and think the rest of the NFL would just naturally pay him more to come in as a likely bridge QB than we didnas a backup? 

More perplexing is the Washington trade. Given his skill set, they would've been a fairly decent option. He's surely more gifted than Heinecke and Montez. Washington isn't a particularly obvious candidate for a top QB in the draft. Seems to me the prudent thing to do would have been jumping at the opportunity to start somewhere and shoot for the big bucks while riding out a contract paying pretty royally and altering whatever needed to be altered. Say, for instance, he actually wants to go to Washington. No way they're shelling out more via FA to get him. 

Then again, decision making hasn't been his strong suit in the NFL so.....

^^Which is why i said everybody's bluffing. It's Mariota's agent job to push for a team to take on his current contract for as long as he can. Teams looking to trade for him are right in using the contract as a tool to lower the Raiders asking price. The Raiders don't really have to rush to release him either. If no one blinks before the start of FA, someone's bound to change their tune.

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty much. 

I give him the nod over some guys because of career altering levels of injuries (Smith/Newton), and his potential (obviously more than therr would be from an Andy Dalton or Tyrod Taylor with age and general upside being factors), but still put Fitzpatrick over him for that reason: production and availability. 

I'd actually put him over Winston (turnover penchant) and Trubisky (less athletically gifted) if not for the lack of production and availability.

There's definitely some recency bias guiding your feelings though. Mariota definitely played very well in his one appearance for us last season. But in his final 3 seasons in Tennessee they were 18-16 while he threw for for 6,963 yards (204 ypg), 31 TD, and 25 INT. After Tannehill took over at QB their offense became one of the best units in the league and the Titans were happy to part ways with him a year ago by letting him walk in free agency. When we signed him the move was scrutinized as one of the worst free agent signings of the 2020 offseason. 

Even last season with us he wasn't on the active roster for like the first 10 or 11 weeks because he was hurt. 

And as I said before it's nearly impossible for a team to willingly give up draft capital for him when it's almost guaranteed that we're going to release him. Especially with the recent reports that he is trying to force the Raiders to let him go and is making it difficult for us to trade him. 

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

^^Which is why i said everybody's bluffing. It's Mariota's agent job to push for a team to take on his current contract for as long as he can. Teams looking to trade for him are right in using the contract as a tool to lower the Raiders asking price. The Raiders don't really have to rush to release him either. If no one blinks before the start of FA, someone's bound to change their tune.

With so many veteran QB's in free agency and 5 guys with 1st round grades, if we are going to hold him and trade him it would probably be after the draft to a team that struck out in both free agency and the draft. 

11 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

We almost always go into the draft with 10M+ in cap room in order to sign the picks and have some cap room to cover the practice squad and in season moves.  We could carry Mariotas contract basically up until we need to Sign Draft picks... which is basically a few days before TC starts.

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty much. 

Which, again, makes his stance even more perplexing. He has 1 game of tape that he wouldn't have had if not for Carr getting hurt, in a game we still lost, after spending the rest of the year on the sideline, AND wasn't even given a chance to showcase in the last game or so (for better or worse). Aside from me being a Raiders fan and hoping to get something in return from a QB needy team, I don't see what he and his team are seeing in terms of possibly making any more money next year than we'd pay him to ride the pine via anything other than a trade. Like, does he not realize how ridiculously overpaid he was and think the rest of the NFL would just naturally pay him more to come in as a likely bridge QB than we didnas a backup? 

More perplexing is the Washington trade. Given his skill set, they would've been a fairly decent option. He's surely more gifted than Heinecke and Montez. Washington isn't a particularly obvious candidate for a top QB in the draft. Seems to me the prudent thing to do would have been jumping at the opportunity to start somewhere and shoot for the big bucks while riding out a contract paying pretty royally and altering whatever needed to be altered. Say, for instance, he actually wants to go to Washington. No way they're shelling out more via FA to get him. 

Then again, decision making hasn't been his strong suit in the NFL so.....

I think Mariota’s smartest move is to seek a trade via his agent to a team like Washington.... with the understanding that after a trade he’d be willing to reduce his performance bonuses.  The bonuses are what’s killing any trade.

If we waits til We have to Cut him The teams that would consider him to be their Starter will Have all moved on.  They can’t wait around for MM.  If MM gets cut there’s no way he gets close to his Current deal.  He’d be smart to settle for 11M plus unlikely to be achieved incentives totalling a few million.... but not 10m give or take. I think Washington would trade a 4th or 5th for him if he cost under 15M.

• Like 1

I thought Mariota just played ok in the game he was in. He threw at least one dropped INT that I recall, maybe two. Also had a chance to win the game in regulation, but threw that pick in the red zone I believe. He did look great rushing though. I wonder if it woulda been different if the opposing team had time to prepare for that. 

So I’d take literally anything for him. 

Edited by Blazer026

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I thought Mariota just played ok in the game he was in. He threw at least one dropped INT that I recall, maybe two. Also had a chance to win the game in regulation, but threw that pick in the red zone I believe. He did look great rushing though. I wonder if it woulda been different if the opposing team had time to prepare for that. 

So I’d take literally anything for him. 

I thought he played as good as you can ask for a backup mid game. He had us in a position to win the game. Gave us a different dimension on Gruden's offense. I would of liked to see Mariota start one game with practice and Ruggs in the lineup.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 11:48 PM, ronjon1990 said:

I guess it doesn't matter that the NFC and there division in particular suck? If they played in the AFC west how many games do you think they would win?