The Trade Chat Thread 🔄

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I thought Mariota just played ok in the game he was in. He threw at least one dropped INT that I recall, maybe two. Also had a chance to win the game in regulation, but threw that pick in the red zone I believe. He did look great rushing though. I wonder if it woulda been different if the opposing team had time to prepare for that. 

So I’d take literally anything for him. 

He looked really good against the Chargers. His mobility made a huge difference and really opened up the play book for us. The throws to Foster Moreau on the sideline while scrambling and the dime to Darren Waller were probably better than any throw Carr made the entire season. The only mistake that he made was the interception late but that also kind of falls on Gruden because we should've been milking the clock right there to set up a FG as time expired. 

3 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I thought he played as good as you can ask for a backup mid game. He had us in a position to win the game. Gave us a different dimension on Gruden's offense. I would of liked to see Mariota start one game with practice and Ruggs in the lineup.

We did ourselves a disservice by not playing and show casing him more. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

MSN suggested this trade.

Raiders receive: Russell Wilson

Seahawks receive: Derek Carr, Trent Brown, 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, 2023 3rd

I love Russell Wilson but that is a little to much.  Carr and Brown combined are worth 2 1sts.  So it would be 5 1st, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd.  Carr with the capital after trading Brown should make a better team than Wilson without it.

10 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I guess it doesn't matter that the NFC and there division in particular suck? If they played in the AFC west how many games do you think they would win?

Not particularly relevant as great players can be stuck on crap teams (Larry Fitzgerald mostly made a career out of this). 

It's impossible to know how many games they would have won in the AFC/AFCW though.

Which of the 4 teams do they replace? Or does the entire NFL change the number of teams in a division? 

Are we wholesale cut and pasting the team and coaching staff as is? Or would they have undergone coaching changes since obtaining Mack? 

The potential variables could go on and one, and that directly impacts how many games would've potentially been won/lost.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

At most I'd do Carr and 2 1sts for Wilson. At most. And I want Wilson.

Carr, Brown, 3 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd is just absurd. 

Not sure what Brown's trade value is, but I'd probably want at least a 3rd on the market for him. Carr is probably worth a 1st to someone, a high 2nd at the very least. 

That's basically 4 1sts*, and a 2nd/3rd with either another 2nd or 3rd, however you'd want to divvy up the 7 total "picks". That's just insane for a QB who wouldn't improve us THAT much with everything being given up. 

I've said before, top of the line QB play might have won us 1 or 2 more games this year, but we would have inevitably been "the worst X-X team ever" and laughed out of the playoffs. 

For all of Gruden''s QB hoopla, he's never had a QB who was an unquestionable top 5 QB year in, year out. I don't think his playcalling and playbook rely on it. Could Wilson toss 35-40 tds on this squad? Possibly, sure. But the same could be said about Carr in, say, Seattle. Point being made here is I just don't believe Gruden''s system is made for huge stat lines. Carr isn't so inept that replacing him with a Wilson or Watson or Rodgers would increase our TD output by 10+ tds. We're too conservative of an offense for that. 

We start giving up the house like that for flashier QB play, we're going to be digging our own graves. Drew Brèes and Aaron Rodgers are long term examples of this. Neither has been firmly outside of top 5-8 status over the last 1 1/2 decades. But Brees had plenty seasons missing the playoffs (atrocious defense) and Rodgers, while making the playoffs more often, saw plenty of stellar QB seasons go up in smoke in the playoffs due to bad defenses. This despite both guys being undoubtedly the cream of the crop for the vast majority of that span. 

We barely have a defense. IIRC we just fielded one of the worst units in history, no? Not to mention the numerous holes we have to fill. A top tier QB isn't a lock to overcome terrible defenses or have sustained playoff success with them either. Carr hasn't proven he's incapable of leading a playoff worthy team yet. We fixed* the WR issues, and he responded nicely. But our defense is just that bad. That's not to say Carr is the greatest and couldn't be upgraded. Obviously a Wilson, Watson, or Rodgers would be an upgrade. That's indisputable. But to throw literally all of the eggs we have in any of those 3 baskets right now is just....stupid. No matter the amount of superstar QB play we could get from any other QB, all we'd be doing is sticking our heads in the sand. 

As you said, Carr and 2 firsts would be my absolute max, and even then, I think it would be a mistake. Given the depth of this draft class, Carr and a 1st wouldn't hurt me. Depending on FA, Carr, a 1st, and 2nd wouldn't hurt too terribly. Toss in a 3rd for a later draft maybe. But the trade stipulated in that post....no f'n way. We'd just be the 2012-2016 Saints and Wilson would be hitting 36 before we could establish any form of consistency. 

Fact of the matter is Wilson has been hit A LOT and his game revolves around his mobility. If we're giving up the means of meaningful improvements elsewhere to get him, I just don't see the long term value. Not for that price tag. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

At most I'd do Carr and 2 1sts for Wilson. At most. And I want Wilson.

Same. Or I'd leverage heavily on my 2021 draft picks. 

This draft is going to be a mess. There is so little information this year. No combine, no formal interviews, no medical checks until after the draft. A lot of these players haven't played in over a year and there is little film on them.

The uncertainty is going to lead to a lot of misses in the draft. And, it doesn't feel like there is a lot of top end talent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This draft is going to be a mess. There is so little information this year. No combine, no formal interviews, no medical checks until after the draft. A lot of these players haven't played in over a year and there is little film on them.

The uncertainty is going to lead to a lot of misses in the draft. And, it doesn't feel like there is a lot of top end talent. 

Almost every prospect will still have a pro day though with team scouts in attendance. Don't teams typically value their own 40 times, etc. more than the official combine ones anyways? And I'd assume that teams will be able to conduct interviews with prospects via zoom. The non-medical checks until after the draft is definitely worrisome though. 

And other than guys like Rousseau, Parsons, Chase, and Lance how many of the other top guys didn't play this season?