The Trade Chat Thread 🔄

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

what if Mariota bombed and killed any value he had after the Charger game. Tells me they dont have all that much faith in MM. Also, Gruden wasnt trying to end the season with another losing record. 

He'd be cut and we simply would've moved along. 

Not playing him likely relegates his value to a mid-late day 3 pick, and those are about as useful as UDFAs (not that we'd know about those anyway).

Playing him could've resulted in increased value, or, though incredibly unlikely, choosing to go with him into 2021 and making Carr available which would net even more in return. 

He's a guy who, prior to his 1 game, almost nobody wanted with that contract. It would have been worth the gamble imo. 

I'm hardly surprised we didn't though. I have serious doubts about our ability to gauge value in the draft or through trades. 

17 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Carr+Gruden for a 1st, Alex Smith, Ron Rivera, Matt Ionnidis, and renaming the team the Washington Team of Football just for the acronym. 

The bolded alone is enough.  I thought it was some crazy, yet sincere, idea.  Then I realized it was a joke (maybe?).  

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Maybe a 1st and one of those recent high DL guys like Payne? More, less?

I would want more than that.  If they had a top 5-10 pick plus a couple young solid players then maybe.  We would have to have a QB plan to do this.   MM and Fitz backing him up.  Let's go!

16 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Russell Wilson is my favourite QB in the NFL and I think he's overall the best so I would absolutely love to see him in Silver and Black but as much as I'd love that, I just don't see it. I don't see why on earth Seattle would trade him 🤔

• Like 1

Ok, so I've been thinking about some realistic but still eye opening moves we could make that I think could benefit the team:

JJ Watt, Texans DE/DT. Probably played his last down in Houston and would be the leader our D needs. Can maybe prise him away for a 3rd or 4th round pick maybe even a 5th like Calais Campbell. Contract can be extended or reworked to be more amenable.

Harrison Smith, Vikings SS/FS. Versatile leader and high IQ player who could be a glue player on the back end. Still playing at a very high level and wonder if a 5th rounder would do it?

Jonathan Allen, Washington DT. List in the mix a little with a great DL in Washington and his numbers went down this past year. They may want extra draft capital for a move for a QB but they may also want a 2nd which might be too rich.......

Geno Atkins, Bengals DT. Missed a lot of time last year with a shoulder injury but we all know what he can do when fit. The quintessential penetrating 3T we've been missing and a good run defender to boot. No spring chicken but he could have a couple really good years left in him and would be cheap I think, maybe a 6th round pick while we develop a rookie. 

Any other vet options we could or should be looking at outside of QBs??

On 2/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I was just about to post a message asking what everyone thought Mariota’s trade value is in the Around the League Thread.

After the hot rumor of the Raiders possibly being interested in trading Carr to get picks to package for Watson seems to have fizzled out, the new talking point that Mariota is the QB the Raiders are looking to trade

So.....

what Mariota’s trade value?  What team(s) do you see wanting to trade for him and what do you think the trade would be?

I admit I don’t have anything but biased opinion to base my guesstimate on.... but I think Mariota could bring back as low as a 4th round pick and as high as a 3rd.  A few months ago I thought it would be less, if anything at all, but there seems to be some momentum behind MM’s trade value.  

I could see the Patriots being the most likely team to trade for him.  He’d be a good fit there as a cheap (10M), stop gap starting QB.  I can’t see BB just draft a QB and do the typical rebuild, as he hates losing too much AND as petty as it seems Brady just won a title without him so it’d be brutal to have another losing season in NE.  I totally can see BB bring In Mariota or Jimmy G, once he’s cut by SF, and try to make a run with them.  The narrative today is “Brady won a championship without it Bill, who went 7-9 and no playoffs” but if Belichick would win a title With Mariota or Jimmy G that totally flips the narrative.

the only problem with that trade idea is as I said earlier, the Pats will likely go after Jimmy G once he’s cut from SF.  He’s a better QB than Mariota and was Belichick’s replacement for Brady only a few years ago.  Why trade for Mariota if you can sign Jimmy G?  The only reason would be the price.  Mariota would only cost 10M and even after a bad season Jimmy G would cost more.

since it’s NE I don’t suspect we’d come out saying “we got great compensation”.  They always are shrewd negotiators, so I’d guess we’d get a 5th, maybe at 4th

Jimmy G is made of glass. I don't think he ever played more than 4 or 5 games in a row with out getting hurt.

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Ok, so I've been thinking about some realistic but still eye opening moves we could make that I think could benefit the team:

JJ Watt, Texans DE/DT. Probably played his last down in Houston and would be the leader our D needs. Can maybe prise him away for a 3rd or 4th round pick maybe even a 5th like Calais Campbell. Contract can be extended or reworked to be more amenable.

Harrison Smith, Vikings SS/FS. Versatile leader and high IQ player who could be a glue player on the back end. Still playing at a very high level and wonder if a 5th rounder would do it?

Jonathan Allen, Washington DT. List in the mix a little with a great DL in Washington and his numbers went down this past year. They may want extra draft capital for a move for a QB but they may also want a 2nd which might be too rich.......

Geno Atkins, Bengals DT. Missed a lot of time last year with a shoulder injury but we all know what he can do when fit. The quintessential penetrating 3T we've been missing and a good run defender to boot. No spring chicken but he could have a couple really good years left in him and would be cheap I think, maybe a 6th round pick while we develop a rookie. 

Any other vet options we could or should be looking at outside of QBs??

Stephon Gilmore. I think we all agree there's a need for a vet presence in the DB group. Sounds like he might be out in NE. 1 year left on his contract but cheap. Mariota for Gilmore would be nice. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Stephon Gilmore. I think we all agree there's a need for a vet presence in the DB group. Sounds like he might be out in NE. 1 year left on his contract but cheap. Mariota for Gilmore would be nice. 

Ah, yep......Good spot! He could be perfect for a couple years and while a lot of corners are projected by posters to safety later in their careers he could be one that's a realistic option there too as he has the IQ, ball skills and wherewithal.