The Trade Chat Thread ๐Ÿ”„

RaidersAreOne

23 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Hearing of the interests in Mariota ticks me off even more that Gruden let Carr play the meaningless last game vs Denver. I mean I get it from Carr's pov wanting to play, especially after Mariota has shown well the previous week. But that's where the coach/GM in Gruden overules the player and does what's best for the team.ย 

Smart teams would've used that game as another showcase for Mariota, perhaps boosting his valueย  more.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

ย 

Or you play Mariota, he sucks and you are just killing his value. Also, he has started 60 games for the Titans, teams should know what he can and cannot do.

Tbh i'm suprised teams are willing to trade for MM.ย 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

Or you play Mariota, he sucks and you are just killing his value. Also, he has started 60 games for the Titans, teams should know what he can and cannot do.

Tbh i'm suprised teams are willing to trade for MM.ย 

Completely agree.ย  I understand looking at the Chargers game and teams being enticed to consider a trade, but if you look at how he played with a Tennessee team and how he couldn't deliver, and then how Tannehill came in and they were playoff contenders, that should be enough to keep you from pulling the trigger on making a trade with any serious draft capital involved.ย  Anyone can have one good/great game, you can't assume that his play that game will become the norm.ย  Even if he did well in 3 straight games, it doesn't prove that he can play in a team's system.ย  He couldn't play in Tennessee's, that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Completely agree.ย  I understand looking at the Chargers game and teams being enticed to consider a trade, but if you look at how he played with a Tennessee team and how he couldn't deliver, and then how Tannehill came in and they were playoff contenders, that should be enough to keep you from pulling the trigger on making a trade with any serious draft capital involved.ย  Anyone can have one good/great game, you can't assume that his play that game will become the norm.ย  Even if he did well in 3 straight games, it doesn't prove that he can play in a team's system.ย  He couldn't play in Tennessee's, that's for sure.

For the Pats, it makes sense. They were 7-9 with absolutely no passing game. Mariota can provide the same rushing threat Cam did and probably a bit more in the passing game. They're not in position to get a starter ready QB in the 1st and all the other teams are asking for multiple 1sts for their QBs. Mariota shouldn't cost much. I don't think the Pats or any team is seeing Mariota as a long term answer.

38 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

For the Pats, it makes sense. They were 7-9 with absolutely no passing game. Mariota can provide the same rushing threat Cam did and probably a bit more in the passing game. They're not in position to get a starter ready QB in the 1st and all the other teams are asking for multiple 1sts for their QBs. Mariota shouldn't cost much. I don't think the Pats or any team is seeing Mariota as a long term answer.

Yeah the Pats are one team I could see trying to trade for Mariota.ย  I don't really see too many other teams trying to go after him hard.ย  His trade value might go up during the draft or right before the season.ย  We'll see.

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

I think teams understand that a great QB in one system could be trash in another.ย  Tennessee might have just been a bad fit for Mariota.ย  Not saying Mariota is great or even good but he looked like a much improved QB in that one game.ย  Sometimes the lightbulb just goes off and you can get lucky.ย  We took a practice squad TE and he is now the #2 TE in the league.ย  The reason why is the lightbulb finally went off in his head that he needed to make a change.ย  Mariota and Carr are 2 extremely physically gifted QBs.ย  If they have their heads on straight both can be good starting QBs.ย  Carr has proved a lot more.ย ย 

10 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think teams understand that a great QB in one system could be trash in another.ย  Tennessee might have just been a bad fit for Mariota.ย  Not saying Mariota is great or even good but he looked like a much improved QB in that one game.ย  Sometimes the lightbulb just goes off and you can get lucky.ย  We took a practice squad TE and he is now the #2 TE in the league.ย  The reason why is the lightbulb finally went off in his head that he needed to make a change.ย  Mariota and Carr are 2 extremely physically gifted QBs.ย  If they have their heads on straight both can be good starting QBs.ย  Carr has proved a lot more.ย ย 

Yeah I agree.ย  Again though, It all depends on the team.ย  We just have to hope teams like the Colts, WFT, Patriots, or another QB needy team is willing to make the bet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Maybe spending money on the oline isn't such a bad idea after all.

They did trade for Duane Brown in 2017.ย 

It's funny though... they had Tom Cable and he took a lot of heat. They would draft Oline late and take flyers on converting players to the Oline and Cable was expected to develop them. He ended up the scapegoat for their poor Oline. Hire by the Raiders, immediately gets resources allocated to his Oline and has done a good job.

I do feel for Russ. He's taken 394 sacks in 9 years. On pace for the most in league history. I'd love to see what he could do behind an Oline like the Raiders have had the last few years.

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 2

On 2/11/2021 at 7:21 AM, Darbsk said:

Ok, so I've been thinking about some realistic but still eye opening moves we could make that I think could benefit the team:

JJ Watt, Texans DE/DT. Probably played his last down in Houston and would be the leader our D needs. Can maybe prise him away for a 3rd or 4th round pick maybe even a 5th like Calais Campbell. Contract can be extended or reworked to be more amenable.

Harrison Smith, Vikings SS/FS. Versatile leader and high IQ player who could be a glue player on the back end. Still playing at a very high level and wonder if a 5th rounder would do it?

Jonathan Allen, Washington DT. List in the mix a little with a great DL in Washington and his numbers went down this past year. They may want extra draft capital for a move for a QB but they may also want a 2nd which might be too rich.......

Geno Atkins, Bengals DT. Missed a lot of time last year with a shoulder injury but we all know what he can do when fit. The quintessential penetrating 3T we've been missing and a good run defender to boot. No spring chicken but he could have a couple really good years left in him and would be cheap I think, maybe a 6th round pick while we develop a rookie.ย 

Any other vet options we could or should be looking at outside of QBs??

ย  ย  ย I'd offer a 4th for Harrison Smith. Would be very happy to have him.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They did trade for Duane Brown in 2017.ย 

It's funny though... they had Tom Cable and he took a lot of heat. They would draft Oline late and take flyers on converting players to the Oline and Cable was expected to develop them. He ended up the scapegoat for their poor Oline. Hire by the Raiders, immediately gets resources allocated to his Oline and has done a good job.

I do feel for Russ. He's taken 394 sacks in 9 years. On pace for the most in league history. I'd love to see what he could do behind an Oline like the Raiders have had the last few years.

It's funny how he comes back and is just a really freaking good OL coach.ย  I was so irritated when Gruden brought him in.ย  Funny how I applaud some moves (Guenther), crap on others (Cable), and am just completely wrong 2-3 years later.ย  But then again, Guenther didn't get a lot of talent, Cable did.ย  Still think Guenther sucks.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

It's funny how he comes back and is just a really freaking good OL coach.ย  I was so irritated when Gruden brought him in.ย  Funny how I applaud some moves (Guenther), crap on others (Cable), and am just completely wrong 2-3 years later.ย  But then again, Guenther didn't get a lot of talent, Cable did.ย  Still think Guenther sucks.

Same... hated Cable coming back. He was miserable in Seattle in the end. His first year back was rough as well. Then it came together for him in year 2.ย 

Talent makes all the difference.ย 

• Like 1