The Trade Chat Thread 🔄

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They have an asset. But he's not going to get you a 3rd round pick which is what I'm arguing. He's worth a 4th at best.

While I personally wouldnt give up a 3rd for Mariota, teams not only have to outbid other teams.. but I honestly feel like they also need to 'outbid' Gruden lol. 
Everyone knows Gruden loves his QB. 

big IF, but if a couple teams are offering a 4th, and Gruden says listen, we would rather just keep him as our backup. 
I think some teams would believe Gruden is being honest in that. 
I think it would be dumb. 

But i dont trust Gruden a ton these days. Gruden is stubborn and it has killed us, maybe he can squeeze a miracle out here ha

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

Give me J.Allen somehow instead! We need an interior rusher, not a NT. 

I think Washington will trade either Allen or Payne.  Jonathan Allen is 3/5Tech DT on his 5th year option and due for a rather large contract next year.  Payne is a 0/1 Tech DT run stuffer with some pass rush but far from Allen.  He’s got 1 year and a player option left on his deal.  But under the new deal with 5th year options they become guaranteed at the time of exercising them.  So it is unlikely that WFT will be able to afford Allen on an extension and Payne on a 5th year option in ‘22.  Thus, we could see one moved this offseason.

Normally You’d nearly always keep Allen, the pass rusher, but given the fact they have Sweet due for a new deal in a few years and Young they might decide to keep Payne due to him being much cheaper.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to trade Allen for draft picks and role forward with Matt I. As the 3T because he has rush the passer and is locked up for 3 years on a cheap deal.

Either way I’d love to trade Mariota and a draft pick for either of them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Washington will trade either Allen or Payne.  Jonathan Allen is 3/5Tech DT on his 5th year option and due for a rather large contract next year.  Payne is a 0/1 Tech DT run stuffer with some pass rush but far from Allen.  He’s got 1 year and a player option left on his deal.  But under the new deal with 5th year options they become guaranteed at the time of exercising them.  So it is unlikely that WFT will be able to afford Allen on an extension and Payne on a 5th year option in ‘22.  Thus, we could see one moved this offseason.

Normally You’d nearly always keep Allen, the pass rusher, but given the fact they have Sweet due for a new deal in a few years and Young they might decide to keep Payne due to him being much cheaper.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to trade Allen for draft picks and role forward with Matt I. As the 3T because he has rush the passer and is locked up for 3 years on a cheap deal.

We really need to find a way to make this work.  Mariota for Payne or Allen.  See if we can just do it straight up.  Throw a day 3 pick at them and see if that works.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

It's basically what happened in SF with Buckner and Armstead last year. Can't pay everybody. I'd prefer Allen but both players make sense for us.

18 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They have some leverage. They don't have "give us a 3rd round pick" leverage. If they get a 3rd for Mariota, that's robbery. The guy was left for dead last season and showed promise in 1 fill in game. 

We did ourselves a disservice by not showcasing him more throughout the season. I think a 3rd/4th round pick is fair compensation for him. Obviously he played in limited action but I wouldn't necessarily say that he was "left for dead" he was the highest paid backup quarterback in the league. If you're a team that believes he can be a solid starter, his $10M cap hit is an absolute steal for a starting QB, not to mention it's only a one year commitment because he's a free agent in 2022. I also think he'd be an appealing target to a team that's targeting a QB early in the draft as an insurance policy behind whoever they take. 

We have no clue what Mariota's value is.  We can only hope that Gruden and Mayock can get good value.  When trading a QB that showed some promise you should be optimistic.  Mariota's contract is great for 2021 if you are trading for him to be your starter.  If he hits his bonuses then you made a good trade and he earned his money.  Not saying it will be as good as the Rob Johnson trade but he only started 1 game the year he was traded and Jax got the 9th overall and a 4th for him.  I would not be surprised to see us get a 2nd.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I would not be surprised to see us get a 2nd.

I'd be shocked since teams know he's getting cut if he isn't traded. I think some teams might be willing to give up an asset of lesser importance to their future. A 2nd is kind of important. Getting back a player seems more likely.

Orlando Brown has asked for a trade out of Baltimore because he wants to play LT. I'd assume that has more to do with making LT money then actually playing on the left side though. Losing Brown leaves Baltimore with a huge hole at RT. I wonder if they'd be interested in a Trent Brown for Orlando Brown swap? Trent is due $14M in 2021 and $15M in 2022 but has zero dead cap in either season. And we've already shown a willingness to pay a RT top end OT money with Trent so we could sign Orlando to the extension that he wants, give him LT money, and still keep him on the right side like we did with Trent. 

8 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I'd be shocked since teams know he's getting cut if he isn't traded. I think some teams might be willing to give up an asset of lesser importance to their future. A 2nd is kind of important. Getting back a player seems more likely.

Who says he is getting cut.  Gruden could just as easily trade Carr and go with Mariota.  Now if we give Carr an extension that locks him up then yes we will lose leverage but we are in a position that nobody knows exactly what we are going to do until we make our first move.  We are in a great spot but we have to hope that the FO and Gruden do not screw it up.  Mariota's floor is a low end starting QB on a good contract that has zero risk.  A team that is not expecting to win now he would be a good gamble.  Worst case scenario you waste a 2nd and end up with a top 3 pick next year.  Best case is he elevates your team and you have a starter you can build around.  A team would be crazy to give up a 1st but if we would have played him the last 2 games and he played really good it would have been a possibility.  If he would have played in those 2 games we might be having more serious talks about trading Carr.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I don't see anyway that we roll into next season with Mariota as our starting QB.

The point is teams do not know what we are going to do.  We are in a position of power.  All we have to do is leak a rumor that we fell comfortable that Mariota is a good fit to run the team.

• Like 1

There is a saying I heard a long time ago that makes a lot of sense in these situations.  Let the woman decide she is to good looking for you.   I do know how many times I have seen people not take chances because they decided what other peoples opinions are before any action was taken.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The point is teams do not know what we are going to do.  We are in a position of power.  All we have to do is leak a rumor that we fell comfortable that Mariota is a good fit to run the team.

Mariota also played pretty damn well in the 1 game he saw action which improved his value tremendously as a trade chip, IMO. As I said earlier for a team that's desperate for a starting QB a guy like Mariota makes sense because he can likely be had for a mid-round pick, he only has a $10M cap hit, and he's a free agent after next season. Even for a team looking to draft a QB early he makes sense as a nice veteran insurance policy that can help show a young QB the ropes while also being able to step in and play if the young QB isn't ready.