Russell Wilson reportedly unhappy with Seahawks

DigInBoys

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

No offense to Houston but why would Wilson want to go there?   From the outside looking in it appears that franchise is a mess.

Wilson would get out of Seattle and get to be with another ingenuous man of faith in Jack Easterby.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:38 PM, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

also, i could name plenty of ppl that the majority of the population do not like, yet get things done, so thats not entirely accurate, perception isnt always reality, i learned that one in the military

Not a fan of nuance huh? Those guys get things done because a) they already have all the money and power, and b) are well liked by there contemporaries but probably not the general public. If GM A is HATED by their fanbase but GM B and him like each other, they are going to get ish done... its really simple. 

20 hours ago, Pugger said:

No offense to Houston but why would Wilson want to go there?   From the outside looking in it appears that franchise is a mess.

There is a lot of similarities between Russell Wilson's Faith-driven stances and the overall plan of Jack Easterby, and Houston has invested a ton into their OL - two former FRPs at T, a 2nd rd pick at G, etc.

Considering that the Texans brought in Wilson's former C from Seattle a few days ago, it seems as if some dots are starting to connect.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

There is a lot of similarities between Russell Wilson's Faith-driven stances and the overall plan of Jack Easterby, and Houston has invested a ton into their OL - two former FRPs at T, a 2nd rd pick at G, etc.

Considering that the Texans brought in Wilson's former C from Seattle a few days ago, it seems as if some dots are starting to connect.

I suppose Wilson might want to operate behind an OL that will protect him better than the one up in Seattle.  We shall see.

19 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Not a fan of nuance huh? Those guys get things done because a) they already have all the money and power, and b) are well liked by there contemporaries but probably not the general public. If GM A is HATED by their fanbase but GM B and him like each other, they are going to get ish done... its really simple. 

Well what was implied was:

You can't get ish done if ppl don't like you 

What should have been said: you can't get ish done if you don't have money/power/influence/valuable assets AND ppl don't like you

Plus, for GMs this is slightly irrelevant anyway because GMs are typically under the radar guys. There aren't many , if any at all, that are universally hated by teams (only one I can think of is Bill O'Brian but he was the coach as well so that doesn't really count). And even if there was a GM that was hated by the fanbase that would hv ZERO affect on his job. Also I doubt that a particular GM could be hated by the majority of other GMs to the point where it would affect trades.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:41 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Because that's the right thing to do? They gave him 2 plays - a run and a pass. He made the right pre-snap read and made a good throw. Not sure what else you want him to do?

You can't throw an INT in that situation period. He should have intentionally overthrown it out the back of the endzone. That's squarely on him if he's going to make that presnap read.

A good defense? They were 16th in DVOA at the end of the year. And yes, usually he does have a good running game, but this year, specifically because they stopped running the keepers with Wilson and because Carson was injured, there was no run game, so defenses just played 2-high down the stretch and Schottenheimer didn't do anything to adjust. Pete Carroll's very first thing he said after the season ended was that next year he didn't want to see teams sit in 2-high all game long because they couldn't run the ball.

Again, from a historical perspective, that defense carried them to a title and within contention of another one. Yes, the lack of a running game REALLY hurt them this year, but guys like Allen, Mahomes, and Watson were able to be highly productive without a quality running game.

Scheme certainly plays a factor, no question, but so does Russ's lack of production.

Rams always have the Seahawks number, doesn't matter what year it is or how good/bad RW is playing.

Look at the other 7-8 games after that hot start.

Statistically he very much is on his way.

Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Marino, Elway, Montana, Favre, Mahomes, and likely a lot of others instantly come to mind before RW based upon the past as well as future projection, not even counting the pre-modern guys.

The last 4 drafts the Seahawks have used the following draft picks on the offensive side of the ball in the first 3 rounds:

• Damien Lewis - 3rd round - OG (great run blocker, horrible pass blocker)
  • DK Metcalf - 2nd round - WR (Superstar)
  • Rashaad Penny - 1st round - RB (laughably overpicked, average RB, spent all of last year injured)
  • Will Dissly - 2nd round - TE (injured every year, basically a blocking/possession TE who is now lost in the shuffle)
  • Ethan Pocic - 2nd round - C (god awful)

So yeah I mean the Seahawks are technically using draft picks on the offensive end, but only one of them has even amounted to anything. All of the others are either bad players or injured. Damien Lewis has potential but he's really gotta work on his pass blocking.

Like I said, you can fault them FOR those picks, but you can't make the argument that they haven't tried to build around him.

It goes both ways.

Agreed

Down the stretch, Seattle had no run game, teams knew their schemes and Schottenheimer couldn't adjust. Russ definitely didn't play well and forced things but if you watch the film, it was just 60 minutes of defenses knowing what's coming and nothing Russ can do about it except try to play hero ball and make magical plays.

And he can't have it both ways either. He can't have a scripted/fake "Go Hawks" video in bed wearing like 5 gold chains with his wife pretending that he just woke up and wants to be a Seahawk while also passively forcing his way out as though it 's about the coaching/others alone. 

Devil's Advocate: Russ is turning out to be the guy from a leadership perspective (or lack thereof) that Sherman and others warned the organization about 5+ years ago.

He's unquestionably a HOF player and great QB, but he's flawed in that regard. There were the same leadership concerns voiced at Wisconsin with his teammates. In some regards, he's awesome, but in others, he's seen as fake. I don't know him personally, but saying things like "IF I were requesting a trade, and I'm not, I'd want to go to ______" when you have a no trade clause and have specific "hypothetical" destinations involved.

It's transparent. Own it and move on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nice try, but HELL no lol.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:21 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

50+ yr Browns fan here.  We finally got ours Bears fans.....but the line forms WAY back there.  :)

I hope he can get you to the promised land, buddy.  You're right that it looks like you guys finally have a really good one.  It would be great to see the Browns win a championship after so many down years.  Your fan base has earned it with your loyalty during that time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

You can't throw an INT in that situation period. He should have intentionally overthrown it out the back of the endzone. That's squarely on him if he's going to make that presnap read.

WHAT?! It's a catch-and-throw play, how can you seriously sit here, 7 years later, and say this? The pre-snap read was fine, the only reason it wasn't a touchdown was because Browner blew up the pick AND Malcolm Butler perfectly jumped the route. None of that is on Wilson.

Again, from a historical perspective, that defense carried them to a title and within contention of another one. Yes, the lack of a running game REALLY hurt them this year, but guys like Allen, Mahomes, and Watson were able to be highly productive without a quality running game.

Those guys also have genius OC's putting them in great positions to succeed without that run game. Wilson has (had) Brian Schottenheimer, and it's well-documented already that once teams caught on to Seattle's scheme this year, they all adjusted to taking away the deep shots and Seattle never changed what they did. Hence why Schottenheimer is gone now.

Look at the other 7-8 games after that hot start.

Or just compare his stats vs. the Rams vs all other teams. The Rams have historically destroyed the Seahawks' offense.

Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Marino, Elway, Montana, Favre, Mahomes, and likely a lot of others instantly come to mind before RW based upon the past as well as future projection, not even counting the pre-modern guys.

No way I'm taking those 3 over RW, and RW's stats will most likely beat out all of them (except Favre's INT's lol).

Like I said, you can fault them FOR those picks, but you can't make the argument that they haven't tried to build around him.

Yeah but at a certain point you have to just say "wtf are they doing with these picks?" when time after time they are busts.

And he can't have it both ways either. He can't have a scripted/fake "Go Hawks" video in bed wearing like 5 gold chains with his wife pretending that he just woke up and wants to be a Seahawk while also passively forcing his way out as though it 's about the coaching/others alone. 

Devil's Advocate: Russ is turning out to be the guy from a leadership perspective (or lack thereof) that Sherman and others warned the organization about 5+ years ago.

He's unquestionably a HOF player and great QB, but he's flawed in that regard. There were the same leadership concerns voiced at Wisconsin with his teammates. In some regards, he's awesome, but in others, he's seen as fake. I don't know him personally, but saying things like "IF I were requesting a trade, and I'm not, I'd want to go to ______" when you have a no trade clause and have specific "hypothetical" destinations involved.

It's transparent. Own it and move on.

I can't say I disagree with any of this. I just know he's pretty much kept his mouth shut for 9 years while running for his life for 16 games behind some of the worst OL's you can imagine. Now that his mobility is gone, those same OL's are going to end his career pretty quickly if Seattle can't figure it out.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

WHAT?! It's a catch-and-throw play, how can you seriously sit here, 7 years later, and say this? The pre-snap read was fine, the only reason it wasn't a touchdown was because Browner blew up the pick AND Malcolm Butler perfectly jumped the route. None of that is on Wilson.

Dude, we'll agree to disagree here. He was absolutely late on the throw.

malcolm-butler-intercepts-russell-wilson

If it's a catch and throw play, he shouldn't have taken the extra step. The ball should be out NOW, and he hesitated. That's absolutely on him.

Those guys also have genius OC's putting them in great positions to succeed without that run game. Wilson has (had) Brian Schottenheimer, and it's well-documented already that once teams caught on to Seattle's scheme this year, they all adjusted to taking away the deep shots and Seattle never changed what they did. Hence why Schottenheimer is gone now.

I'm not a huge Daboll believer, but I understand why some are.

Or just compare his stats vs. the Rams vs all other teams. The Rams have historically destroyed the Seahawks' offense.

No way I'm taking those 3 over RW, and RW's stats will most likely beat out all of them (except Favre's INT's lol).

Marino, Elway, and Favre are all LIGHTYEARS ahead. MVP's and all. The Favre hate is crazy, and so is the Marino and Elway hate...and I despise Elway MUCH more than you. 

Yeah but at a certain point you have to just say "wtf are they doing with these picks?" when time after time they are busts.

Agreed

I can't say I disagree with any of this. I just know he's pretty much kept his mouth shut for 9 years while running for his life for 16 games behind some of the worst OL's you can imagine. Now that his mobility is gone, those same OL's are going to end his career pretty quickly if Seattle can't figure it out.

It's pretty simple then...don't sign that contract. Or, at least be a jerk and force your way out instead of being passive aggressive.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Marino, Elway, and Favre are all LIGHTYEARS ahead. MVP's and all. The Favre hate is crazy, and so is the Marino and Elway hate...and I despise Elway MUCH more than you. 

I couldn't agree more.  I actually like Russell Wilson but I have to say that he is not in Marino's league.  I'd also rank Favre comfortably ahead and Elway slightly ahead of him.  I wonder if there are a lot of people who are just looking at stat sheets and never even saw Marino, Elway, or early Favre play.  The stats of current quarterbacks are going to be better because the current rules are much more conducive to passing the ball.

Edited by Uncle Buck